PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End of 2013 league year cuts, signings, trades, voids, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see how Maclin's market is now. He says that he hopes that he can stay in Philly, and that he'll be able to contribute to the spring OTA workouts, as long as there's no contact. He says that he'll 100% no doubt be totally able to have contact again by TC though. I think he's about the only other guy I'd want to pay around 5m per season on a short-term, "prove it" offer.

I'd still be interested in a guy like Nicks, but not much more than that 5m dollar rate. That will likely make the situation very tough, since they may warrant more money than that, depending on how the market goes.

We may end up having to take a shot on one of those low risk/higher reward type of guys like Britt (puke).

If we gamble, why not Sidney Rice? He has to be a CAPeroo because of the Seahawks needing to pay the piper. When healthy he is on the verge of elite (not yet) and only 27. Perhaps his injuries are behind him. Likened to Moss by many and played with Moss. In 2009 he was one of the best receivers in the NFL with 83 grabs and 8 TDs from Brett Farve and in 2012, and in 2012 he played all 16 games and caught 50 with 7 TDs in Russell Wilson's infancy.

With TB and health he could double his TD count and we have a WR who can actually stretch the field at 6'4" with jumps and speed.

DW Toys

I love the idea of taking a bit of a risk on Rice. He has ability and size. I'd definitely support bringing him in for the right price.

Looks like Suggs has gotten a new deal with the Ravens. Didn't really matter to us since the odds of him signing with the Pats are slim to none.

Also, looks like the 49ers and Aquan Boldin are working on a deal to keep him in San Fran. The Pats might have pursued him aggressively if he started free agency without a deal.

If memory serves Anquan's wife was against him coming to NE years ago when BB went after him so putative FA status is likely moot.

If memory serves Anquan's wife was against him coming to NE years ago when BB went after him so putative FA status is likely moot.

No that was Derrick Mason's wife.

If the team felt it was going to lose Edelman, would the tag be an option to look at? I think they could get something in return.

Would someone give up a day two pick for a guy with over 100 receptions?
Perhaps they could package him and Mallett to one of those quarterback needy teams. I'd love to keep him but I don't know if they can. I'd hate to just sit back and watch both him and Talib just walk away.

Oh well, back to lurking for me.

If the team felt it was going to lose Edelman, would the tag be an option to look at? I think they could get something in return.

Would someone give up a day two pick for a guy with over 100 receptions?
Perhaps they could package him and Mallett to one of those quarterback needy teams. I'd love to keep him but I don't know if they can. I'd hate to just sit back and watch both him and Talib just walk away.

Oh well, back to lurking for me.

According to NFL.com, the wide receiver franchise tag is projected to check in at about $11.6m.

Franchise tag primer: Predictions for all 32 NFL teams - NFL.com

I am not big on brining in any FA receivers unless its for vet/minimum to very little guaranteed. I think we should resign Edelman to a deal that avg 4.5-5 million a year with a low cap hit the first year until Amendola proves us wrong or we can cut him after next season.

I think with Brady's age, the most money should be going to offensive line help. Brady can't get sacked as many times as he did last year. I would like a new center and RG (or maybe slide connolly to center) and get a very good guard. As long as Brady has time, he will get the ball to someone it doesn't matter who he is throwing to.

Wilfork is the elephant in the room (no pun intended). He can't stay with that cap hit at that age coming off that injury. I know he is a leader on the team and he probably understands the business situation he is in. Hell he even traveled with the team and helped coach guys up on the sideline during the season. I think he should sign a 2 year contract extension with no new money guaranteed. Have his remaining cap hits spread across the 2 additional years and put incentives into the contract.

Use the money we free up from cuts/restructures/extensions on signing Talib, Edelman, Blount, interior offensive line if there is value there. Draft should focus on tight end, defense, and oline.

I find this interesting:

The Lions cut safety Louis Delmas last week. The Steelers will be getting the first crack at signing him.

The 2009 second-round pick is visiting the Steelers on Monday, per a league source. Because his contract was terminated, Delmas can sign with any team, at any time.

Steelers hosting Louis Delmas | ProFootballTalk

Cutting Troy or Ryan Clark?

Clark's a free agent and Troy's worth more than $8m in cap room if he gets cut. It could be both, either or neither (if they just used Delmas to get leverage over Troy and R.C.).

FWIW, Dale Lolley, who's one of the Steelers beat writers, thinks it's about Clark not coming back.

Aren't we all tired of the Patriots bringing in broken down castoffs and rejects? Maybe, the Patriots are tired of it as well. Last season, with all their season ending injuries, the Patriots didn't bring in many veterans to replace those injured players. Instead, they brought in or promoted young, hungry players to replace them. Didn't Sealver Siliga do a better job of replacing Vince Wilfork than Isaac Sopaga?

Let other teams pick the garbage. The best way for the Pats to improve next season is to have a stellar draft and do their usual good work with UDFAs.

Aren't we all tired of the Patriots bringing in broken down castoffs and rejects? Maybe, the Patriots are tired of it as well. Last season, with all their season ending injuries, the Patriots didn't bring in many veterans to replace those injured players. Instead, they brought in or promoted young, hungry players to replace them. Didn't Sealver Siliga do a better job of replacing Vince Wilfork than Isaac Sopaga?

Let other teams pick the garbage. The best way for the Pats to improve next season is to have a stellar draft and do their usual good work with UDFAs.

Exactly. There's a fine line sometimes between bargain priced veterans with a little left in the tank and being the island of broken toys. Some of these guys are slow as molasses in wintertime and the Pats should sign them?

:confused:

They signed multiple veterans to try fixing the WR spot. They signed a veteran to fix the safety spot. They signed, and later traded for, a veteran to fix the DT spot. They signed a veteran to help at DE. They signed veterans to help at TE. They traded for a veteran at RB.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 6m
Players that should yield a better than expected market in free agency include: OLB Jason Worilds, G/OT Rodger Saffold, James Ihedigbo.

Curious to see the contract Ihedigbo gets somewhere. He was a bad starting safety with us but improved a good amount in Baltimore.

Curious to see the contract Ihedigbo gets somewhere. He was a bad starting safety with us but improved a good amount in Baltimore.

When you see things like this, do you wonder how much is player and how much is scheme?

Baltimore plays a more aggressive defense than we do...maybe Ihegdibo is better in that style of play.

Honestly, I wish we'd get a lot more aggressive on Defense!

amen......

Unless that financial gap is bridged during a two-week window to use the franchise tag that began Monday and ends with an NFL deadline of March 3, a source predicted that the Ravens will designate Pitta as their franchise player. Should that happen, a source predicted that Pitta would file a grievance through the NFL Players Association to be designated at the wide receiver franchise number of $11.5 million instead of the tight end tag of $6.709 million. The primary argument, which would be heard by an NFL arbitrator, would be that Pitta played the majority of his snaps running routes as a slot receiver last season.

Read more: Ravens 'far apart' in ongoing Pitta talks, in negotiations with several free agents - baltimoresun.com

if Pitta ( a guy who played in 4 games last year with 20 catches) argued he should be tagged as a 11.5 mill WR..he is on some glue. I can see Grahams case..but not this guy

amen......

Especially when sitting back on our heals was resulting in big plays anyways... Things got better last season but man, when Arrington and McCourty were getting picked on non stop in 2011 it was hard to imagine things being worse if we got aggressive on defense.

When you see things like this, do you wonder how much is player and how much is scheme?

Baltimore plays a more aggressive defense than we do...maybe Ihegdibo is better in that style of play.

I was going to post the exact same thing until I glanced up and saw your thoughts.

I find it hard to believe that Ihedigbo improved that much in a year or so myself. I think that the all around difference helped him greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes