PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I take it you blocked his regular season play from your mind. At least everytime Allen is targeted it doesn't result in an interception.

That INT play was classic. Suddenly Studfeld became Stumpfeld and got cut slam bang fast.

ANY Allen apologists left out there?
Apologize for what? What were people advocating?

If anyone thought he was going to be a 50 catch guy with a healthy Gronk they were crazy.The guy averaged two catches a game in his career coming in.

His blocking has been less than stellar

Apologize for what? What were people advocating?

If anyone thought he was going to be a 50 catch guy with a healthy Gronk they were crazy.The guy averaged two catches a game in his career coming in.

His blocking has been less than stellar

Lots of people thought that since he was younger and cheaper and a better blocker than Bennett, that he was a better value and a great trade even if he wasn't as good a pass catcher.

It has turned out he's just a huge turd who can't get on the field to catch or to block.

Lots of people thought that since he was younger and cheaper and a better blocker than Bennett, that he was a better value and a great trade even if he wasn't as good a pass catcher.

It has turned out he's just a huge turd who can't get on the field to catch or to block.

How many catches did you expect? How many catches is average for a #2 TE on the patriots or anywhere else?

Is the idea to sit Amendola or just target him so that Allen can be a more important part of the offense? If you want to blame someone for Allen's lack of involvement, blame Brady. He'd rather throw to Gronkowski, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, White and Lewis.

So there is this narrative that Allen's Blocking has been subpar. I challenge you folks to come up with some examples of plays where he missed blocks. You could be right, but I don't recall any.

Only 6 snaps in the last game, confirms my impression that his blocking last week was putrid, and unacceptable.

Should be pointed out the PFW is jumping on the "Allen's blocking has not lived up to expectations" thinking.

Also he has underwhelmed with his blocking recently.

It's funny. The guy hasn't really seen the field and he gets labeled as sucks.

You can only have 6 players who can legally catch a ball on the field which includes the QB.

So if Brady, Gronk and White are on the field who do you sit out of Cooks, Amendola, Dorset, Lewis or Hogan to let Allen catch a pass?

Further he has only had one pass hit him in the hands. The rest were either off target or he ran the route incorrectly.

Again, I don't know why he hasn't been on the field. And could be that he sucks but I'm not going to judge him based on what I haven't seen. Same goes for Harris.

Btw, I don't agree with the opinion that his blocking sucks at all. His blocking has been decent and at times great. But I guess some yahoo posting a clip of 3 whiffs is enough for some to conclude his entire body of work sucks.

Allen has not had enough snaps to really say that he is a good or bad blocker. You can't block while sitting on the bench. That said, it is obvious Brady has no faith in him as a receiver. If the guy is a noncontributor, for whatever reason, then BB should be trying to fill his slot with a player who is potentially a better contributor. If BB hopes to trade him to another team, it would behoove him to play the guy often enough so as to "showcase" his abilities. Unless something happens before the end of October, I feel Allen will remain on the Patriots roster, for better or for worse, until the end of the season.

Better blocker than Bennett? What?

I expected 5-10 catches so he's been a dissapointment in that regard

His cap hit is just to big to just cut him so I see him being on the roster until the end of the season as well. For those who says he can't block or catch because he has to sit on the bench or because we have other receivers, do u realize that Hollister who play even less than Allen has two catches.

He's been a major disappointment. The idea that he would approximate Bennett in terms of receiving, blocking or overall testicular fortitude was ridiculous.

So there is this narrative that Allen's Blocking has been subpar. I challenge you folks to come up with some examples of plays where he missed blocks. You could be right, but I don't recall any.

I posted two clips, can't remember which thread and what page.

I posted two clips, can't remember which thread and what page.

I found the two clips you posted:

I talked about this play elsewhere, but this is my first time seeing this angle. To me it looks like Allen was blocking as if it were a draw play. However the the pulling tackle is more a run key, so maybe this is wrong. It looks less like Allen is slow out of his stance, and more like he thought the DE was going to pass rush into him. Perhaps Allen misunderstood his assignment.

I agree on this one. Terrible whiff on the block.

----

I still don't know I would call him a bad blacker generally just because of a couple of plays, but thanks for providing some examples!

Last edited:
I still don't know I would call him a bad blacker generally just because of a couple of plays, but thanks for providing some examples!

By no means did I call him a bad blocker. I only said that his effort in the last game was "putrid and unacceptable." I think that because of the lack of chemistry between Brady and Allen at this point, this leaves very little room for error in the other aspects of the game that Allen can make meaningful contributions.

Unfortunately, he made two key errors in RZ run blocking and to me, that is taking points off the board. The coaching staff seems to be thinking along these lines as 6 snaps in the last game is pretty low, and not by game design because we were clearly attacking the Jets safeties, IIRC.

He sucks! Barnidge still out there. I rather see Hollister more. Allen's lackadaisical. I don't know what bill saw in him. Never liked him out of college. He's slow.

Allen has certainly been disappointing. I have not reviewed Colt film, but his salary was based on BB's assessment of his past work. He does seem lost here however. In "Drive for Five" BB says that, besides QB, TE is the most difficult position to master, and I have to wonder if the issue is mainly one of learning. If so, it is at least potentially correctable, which is what we--and apparently the team--are still hoping. If he gets more than the 6 snaps he saw vs. the Jets, that would be a sign that things are at least improving.

BTW for everyone saying that Allen is not getting targets cuz of Gronk, Pats ran 2 TE sets a lot last season when both Gronk and Bennett were available and here are the results

TE Targets Recs Yards TD
Martellus Bennett 19 15 180 2
Rob Gronkowski 12 8 188 2

So Bennett was actually getting more targets and receptions than Gronk, though Gronk was being thrown deeper so had higher YPC. But it shows how much a part of the offense Bennett was even with Gronk on the field.

When they were both healthy, like in Game 5 etc, they played 60% of the snaps with both on the field.

Film Review: How the Patriots 2 tight ends sets baffled the Browns defense

Allen is just useless, which is why he can't get on the field, can't get any targets, and has 0 catches.

BTW for everyone saying that Allen is not getting targets cuz of Gronk, Pats ran 2 TE sets a lot last season when both Gronk and Bennett were available and here are the results

TE Targets Recs Yards TD
Martellus Bennett 19 15 180 2
Rob Gronkowski 12 8 188 2

So Bennett was actually getting more targets and receptions than Gronk, though Gronk was being thrown deeper so had higher YPC. But it shows how much a part of the offense Bennett was even with Gronk on the field.

When they were both healthy, like in Game 5 etc, they played 60% of the snaps with both on the field.

Film Review: How the Patriots 2 tight ends sets baffled the Browns defense

Allen is just useless, which is why he can't get on the field, can't get any targets, and has 0 catches.

Great post. Some have also reasoned that he isn't a major part of the offense because we have other recievers too and one person even suggested it may even be Brady's fault he not being targeted. He needs to earn playing time to get targeted, and it's has not projected that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents