PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game: Everyone can play

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is my take ... remember this list was posted on 2/17 (before the combine). Lets do it again after new rankings come out.

24. Anthony Spencer DE/LB Purdue (Really holds the point of attack)
28. Anthony Gomzalez WR Ohio St. (Smart, fast, runs great routes)
60. Eric Weedle S Utah (return man)
91. Tim Shaw DE/OLB/RB/MLB/QB Penn State (ran a 4.49 amd 4.47 st combine - was recruited as a RB)
123. Brian Robison DE/LB Texas (4.67 40 amd 4.26 SS 40.5 Vert 10.1 BJ)
comp Dan Sepulveda P Baylor
165 Zak Deossie LB/TE Brown (Smart - If he was a TE he would be a 1st round pick - ran a 4.53 at 6'4.5 254#'s - may be a 1st day pick)
187 Jphn Talley CB Duke (tremendous upside - two time MVP - Smart)
comp CJ Gaddis FS Clemson
219 Jared Zabrinsky QB/S Boise St (ran a 4.53 but wants to play QB)
comp Yamon Figurs WR/KR/ST Kansas St. (ran a 4.3 at combine was the top gunner in college)

24. Robert Meachem, WR, Tenn
28. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
60. Stewart Bradley, ILB, Nebraska
91. Prescott Burgess, ILB, Michigan
123. John Wendling, S, Wyoming*
165. Zak DeOssie, ILB, Brown
187. Reggie Lewis, CB, Florida**
195. Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada***
219. Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane

*grades at 64 on Insider, 148 on Fox
**God rest his soul
***approximates 6th round compensatory pick

summary: 3 ILB, 3 DB, 2 WR, 1 QB

Surprisingly after three weeks and a combine, I'm still on the same page. Let's see if my list survives three weeks of free agency.

(did Burgess work out? I might bump DeOssie into his spot and Waters into DeOssie's spot)

Surprisingly after three weeks and a combine, I'm still on the same page. Let's see if my list survives three weeks of free agency.

(did Burgess work out? I might bump DeOssie into his spot and Waters into DeOssie's spot)
Burgess ran a 4.85, but had an excellent 3-cone at 7.01, he had 19 reps at 225.

OK. Here is my draft based on what I would like to see based on the Pats getting comp picks in the 4th, 6th (x2) and 7th.

24: Anthony Spencer - OLB/DE
28: Chris Houston - CB
60: Brian Leonard - RB/FB
91: Stewart Bradley - OLB
123: John Wendling - FS
Comp: David Ball - WR
165: Allen Barbre - OT
187: John Talley - CB
Comp: Anthony Waters - ILB
Comp: Craig Dahl - SS
219: Dante Rosario - TE
Comp: Chris Davis - WR

I'm going to be honset. Like BOR and others, I am finding this draft to be weak with Top-End Talent. Much weaker than the 2005 draft was supposed to have been. As such, I think that the Pats will trade down from 28 to the middle of the second and pick up a 1st or 2nd next year.

Also, because I don't see the talent here in the draft at CB, FS, or SS, I think that the Pats WILL franchise Samuel and might even over-pay him a bit. I could see the Pats offering a 4yr/28 million with a 8 mill signing bonus or a 6yr/$44 million deal with an 11 mill signing bonus.

I think that this is a real "meat & potatoes" draft and that the bulk of the "value" will come from the 2-5 rounds.

Well, there have been a lot of shockers at the combine and some of this has forced me to change my board around. However, for the life of me, I can't even begin to project who the Pats would want to take. I think its going to be very hard for them to trade down and add picks for next year.

Players I like now:

Zak DeOssie, Brian Leonard, Lorenzo Booker, Sabby Piscatelli, John Wendling, Chris Davis, Stewart Bradley, David Harris, Jacoby Jones, Allan Barbre, Donte Rosario, Craig Dahl, John Talley, Enoka Lucas, Jason Hill, Gaines Adams,

Players growing on me, but not there yet: Anthony Gonzalez, Manuel Ramirez, Joe Staley, Steve Smith, Adam Carricker, Amobi Okoye, Legendu Naanee, Reggie Nelson, Brian Robinson, Mike Walker, Eric Wright, Wrotto Mansfield, Dan Bazuin,

Players who have lost something with me:
Anthony Spencer, David Ball

Players I am neither here nor there on:
Patrick Willis, Paul Posluzsny, Brandon Merriweather, Tim Shaw, Chansi Stuckney, Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason, Tedd Ginn

Stomping on a dude's head is overblown?

Obviously that was a bad incident, but Merriweather was the only player from either team to write a letter apologizing for the incident. With the shooting incident, if a masked gunman is outside shooting at you, I am going to guess you would fire back as well. Probably not an easy situation to be in.

He is my take ... remember this list was posted on 2/17 (before the combine). Lets do it again after new rankings come out.

24. Anthony Spencer DE/LB Purdue (Really holds the point of attack)
28. Anthony Gomzalez WR Ohio St. (Smart, fast, runs great routes)
60. Eric Weedle S Utah (return man)
91. Tim Shaw DE/OLB/RB/MLB/QB Penn State (ran a 4.49 amd 4.47 st combine - was recruited as a RB)
123. Brian Robison DE/LB Texas (4.67 40 amd 4.26 SS 40.5 Vert 10.1 BJ)
comp Dan Sepulveda P Baylor
165 Zak Deossie LB/TE Brown (Smart - If he was a TE he would be a 1st round pick - ran a 4.53 at 6'4.5 254#'s - may be a 1st day pick)
187 Jphn Talley CB Duke (tremendous upside - two time MVP - Smart)
comp CJ Gaddis FS Clemson
219 Jared Zabrinsky QB/S Boise St (ran a 4.53 but wants to play QB)
comp Yamon Figurs WR/KR/ST Kansas St. (ran a 4.3 at combine was the top gunner in college)

I didn't realize that Foxsports was using NFLDraftScout as its source data. NFLDraftScout has already updated their site and there is a slight difference in whom I would select:

24 Chris Houston CB Arkansas - Spencer moved up to 18, but honestly I think Houston is going top 20 as well.
28 same
60 same
91 same
123 Darius Walker RB Notre Dame - we suddenly need another back.
comp Sabby Piscitelli SS Oregon - covered some of the top WR's in the draft and has a great physique as well as attitude.
comp Zak Deossie LB Brown - need to move up his selection because of his outstanding combine
165 Jacoby Jones WR Lane - big WR from small school looked good during all star games and at combine
188 Yamon Figurs WR/ST Kansas St - moved up with a 4.3 40 at the combine - top special teams gunner
comp Chris Leak QB Florida - short (under 6') but throws a beautiful pass. Football smart and worth a look in camp
219 John Talley CB Duke - I expect with the hiring of O'Brien that he would be pulling for this Blue Devil two time MVP

Well, the combine is over, we have a better idea as to which vets are leaving, and I've done some digging into closets. The Fox list we were using has been updated. Neither of my top picks, Meacham or Spencer, are available anymore. Therefore:

#23: Ben Grubbs G Auburn. Not crazy about the pick, but he's the only one in this neighborhood on my board.

#28: This is going to be a reach. I'd like to trade one of the firsts for two picks in the 45-50 range. My guy here is Antonio Gonzalez WR Ohio State. If I could get another pick before 50 I'd add Josh Wilson. Leonard and Harrell are hard to pass up here.

#60: David Harris LB Michigan over David Irons

#91: Michael Coe CB Alabama St. over Wynn, Soliai, and Antonio Johnson

#123: Darius Walker RB Notre Dame over McKnight, Ball, and Piscatelli

Comp: Wolfe RB Northern Illinois over DeOssie, Harris, Breaston

#165: Allen Barbree OT Missouri Southern State over DeAndre Jackson, Brandon Sharp, Kevin Boss

#187: CJ Gaddis S Clemson over Keith Jackson, Bo Smith

#219: Jordan Palmer QB UTEP

Undrafted Free Agents (after #250):

Legadu Naanee WR Boise St.
Dan Mozes C West Virginia
Jeff Rowe QB Nevada
Gabe Hall OT Texas Tech
Quintin Echols NT Kansas St.
Anthony Waters LB Clemson
Desmond Bishop LB Cal
Chad Nkang S Eton
Tanner Jenkins C Arkansas St.
Tony Franklin CB Virginia
Jonathan Allen TE Norfolk St.
Reggie Merriweather RB Clemson

Well, the combine is over, we have a better idea as to which vets are leaving, and I've done some digging into closets. The Fox list we were using has been updated.

Oh, it's been updated? Then here's my revised picks:
  • 28 Reggie Nelson FS Florida
  • 50 Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State
  • 67 David Harris ILB Michigan
  • 125 Brian Robison DE Texas
  • 132 Sabby Piscitelli SS Oregon State
  • 175 Chris Henry RB Arizona
  • 227 Craig Dahl SS North Dakota State
  • 243 John Talley CB Duke
  • 266 Anthony Waters ILB Clemson

1a. Reggie Nelson- as usual, teams are paying way too much attention to measurables and forget to look at the player
1b. Chris Houson- I have pimped this guy enough, shut down some great recievers, and has all the measurables

2. Wes Welker...sign him to an offer sheet and let the Dolphins have the pick

3. Troy Smith...surprise of my draft, he makes Cassel expendable, and will be at least a solid backup with tremendous upside

4. Quincy Black...athletic linebacker who excels in coverage
4b (comp). Zak DeOssie...intelligent, hard-working dude who's highly underrated due to being an Ivy-leaguer

6a. Chris Henry...a low risk, high reward guy
6b. Antwan Barnes...similar to black, but is agile against the run, and will stop plays behind the line

7. Kyle Young...O-Line depth

Last edited:
24. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
28. Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
60. Stewart Bradley, ILB, Nebraska
91. Tanard Jackson, FS, Syracuse
123. Zak DeOssie, ILB, Brown
165. Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinios State
187. Bo Smith, CB, Weber State
195. Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson
219. Jordan Palmer, QB, UTEP

revised for updated rankings.

3 ILBs, 3 DBs, 2 WRs, 1 QB

After all of our signings and the ratings changes because of the combine, I decided to try this again. Was going to type reasons behind each pick but got too lazy, while answer questions upon request though.

24. Dwayne Jarrett WR USC
28. Reggie Nelson S Florida
60. David Harris ILB Michigan
91. Kenny Scott CB Georgia Tech
123. Brian Robison OLB Texas*
165. DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa State
187. Tyler Palko QB Pittsburgh
219. Kyle Young C Fresno State

*if we give up 2nd rounder for Welker change Robison to
Zac De Ossie ILB Brown

I'm going to play again, just for kicks.

24 WR Dwayne Jarrett
28 FS Reggie Nelson
60 ILB David Harris
91 DE Baraka Atkins
123 SS Sabby Piscatelli
165 RB Chris Henry
187 WR Yamon Figurs
219 QB Jordan Palmer

24. Anthony Gonzalez WR
28. David Harris ILB
91 John Wendling SS
123 Zack DeOssie ILB
165 Rory Johnson OLB
187 Jessie Daniels FS/SS
219 Steve Baylark RB

Last edited:
24. Ben Grubbs- OG
28. Chris Houston- CB
60. Jason Hill- WR
91. Tim Shaw- LB
123. Sabby Piscitelli- S
165. A Barbre- OT
187. J Harline- TE
196. B Jackson- RB
219. P Burgess- LB

24. Ben Grubbs- OG
28. Chris Houston- CB
60. Jason Hill- WR
91. Tim Shaw- LB
123. Sabby Piscitelli- S
165. A Barbre- OT
187. J Harline- TE
196. B Jackson- RB
219. P Burgess- LB

Nice list.

24. Ben Grubbs- OG
28. Chris Houston- CB
60. Jason Hill- WR
91. Tim Shaw- LB
123. Sabby Piscitelli- S
165. A Barbre- OT
187. J Harline- TE
196. B Jackson- RB
219. P Burgess- LB

Why Grubbs? just curious, do you see Mankins moving to tackle?

Why Grubbs? just curious, do you see Mankins moving to tackle?

Would it shock you if I said yes? I really like Grubbs. Converted from DLine, to TE, then started his last 3 years at OG, consistantly inproving every year. When I looked at the list from 24-59, he was the no brainer for me. I think that he could start next year, and become a Pro Bowl level O Lineman. In my ratings he is the second best O lineman in the draft. O'Callahan & Kazcur are young and talented, but they have both been prone to injuries in college, and since.
I think we all put a bit too much worry into "holes", or potential holes. Let them match up against us. The tougher question was Houston @ 28 as there were several players that I liked. Without getting into trading picks to move down 10-15 spots, he was my choice.

By the way, while doing some predraft work on lineman, I came across this comparison:

From Scouts Inc 2005, pre-draft
“Plays with excellent intensity and works hard to sustain blocks once in position. Has good mobility and speed. Shows good initial quickness and lateral movement. Has the speed and agility to reach the second level and hit the moving target if he takes the right angle. Gets set quickly in pass protection and doesn't allow defenders to shoot the inside gap. Gets adequate knee bend and shows good balance. Can mirror and slide versus double move. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and does a nice job of picking up the blitz.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/player?id=9041 sub. only

From Scouts Inc 2007, predraft:
“Shows a quick first step and can beat defenders to the point of attack. Plays with a mean streak and works to the whistle. Takes sound angles to blocks, generally plays under control in space and can get into position at the second level. Shows good range, can get around the corner when asked to pull and is big enough to engulf linebackers. Shows good lateral mobility when run blocking and can reach defenders lined up outside him. Gets into pass set quickly and can ride edge rushers past the pocket when he extends his arms”

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=10478 sub. only

The First is Logan Mankins. The Second is Allen Barbre. Both have been edited a bit to fit copyright stuff, but the comparisons continue. The above were in their strengths..

Last edited:
#24 Chris Houston-CB
#28 Michael Griffen-FS
#60 Traded For Wes Welker
#91 Tim Crowder-DE
#123 Chris Davis-WR
#165 John Wending-SS
#187 Chris Henry-RB
#196 Justin Warren-ILB
#219 Dan Stantucci-OG

24: LB Stewart Bradley (Nebraska)
28: CB A.J. Davis (NC State)
60: RB Brian Leonard (Rutgers)
91: NT Paul Soliai (Utah)
123: S Kevin Payne (Louisiana-Monroe)
165: LB Zak DeOssie (Brown)
187: OT Allen Barbre (Missouri Southern State)
196: TE Anthony Pudewell (Nevada)
219: WR Steve Breaston (Michigan)
Aggressive draft:
24 & 28 bundled in a move-up trade to #8 with Houston: Adam Carriker DE Nebraska 6-6 296 - the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft. Not a "need" but a clear improvement over Marquis Hill and a timely acquisition before Mike Wright hits RFA next off-season or Ty Warren's being UFA in two years.
60: Miami.
91 & 219 bundled to move up to #90 with Philadelphia: Stewart Bradley OLB Nebraska 6-4 254 - I consider him the best true LB prospect in the draft, capable of playing inside or outside with good coverage skills.
123 comp pick adjusted +5 to 128: Sabby Piscitelli SS Oregon State - playmaking and athletic SS.
4th round comp pick, adjusted +10 to 137: Zak DeOssie ILB Brown - good sized LB, athletic.
165: Comp pick adjustment +17 to 182: Brandon Jackson RB Nebraska 5-10 210 - competition for Sammy Morris and a Practice Squad candidate.
187: Comp pick adjustment +17 to 204: Craig Dahl SS North Dakota State 6-2 216 - Good Combine, another big Safety for depth.
6th round comp pick, Comp pick adjustment +24 to 215: John Talley CB Duke 6-0 188
7th round comp pick, Comp pick adjustment +32 to 255: Anthony Waters ILB Clemson 6-3 245

----------------------------------------
Conservative Draft:
24: LB Stewart Bradley (Nebraska)
28: CB A.J. Davis (NC State)
60: Miami
91: DL Paul Soliai (Utah)
123 comp pick adustment +5 to 128: SS Sabby Piscitelli (Oregon State)
4th round comp pick +10 from end of round = 137: ILB Zak DeOssie (Brown)
165 +17 for comp adjust 182: RB Brandon Jackson (Nebraska)
187 +17 for comp adust 204: TE Dante Rosario (Oregon)
6th round comp pick adjust +24 from end of round #215: SS Craig Dahl (North Dakota State)
219 +24 comp adjust to 243: CB John Talley (Duke)
7th round comp pick adjusted +32 to 255: ILB Anthony Waters (Clemson)

UDFA Targets

Offense:
Daniel Coats TE BYU 6-3 257
Samuel Smith TE Florida International 6-2 245

Syndric Steptoe WR Arizona 5-09 194
Aaron Fairooz WR Central Arkansas 6-6 209
Jemalle Cornelius WR Florida 5-11 184

Zac Taylor QB Nebraska 6-3 216
Toby Korrodi QB Central Missouri State 6-4 234
Matt Gutierrez QB Idaho State 6-4 232

Chase Johnson OT Wyoming 6-9 330
Roman Fry OG Clemson 6-4 300
Darnell Stapleton C Rutgers 6-3 305
Brian Daniels OG Colorado 6-4 305
Cory Niblock OG/OT Florida State 6-4 308
Gabe Hall OT Texas Tech 6-4 313

Defense:
Anthony Arline CB Baylor 6-2 199
Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame 5-11 192
William Gay CB Louisville 5-10 184
Marcus Hamilton CB Virginia 6-0 190

Louis Leonard DT Fresno State 6-5 322
Jay Richardson DE Ohio State 6-6 279
Ola Dagunduro DT Nebraska 6-2 295

Desmond Bishop ILB California 6-2 239
Marvin Mitchell ILB Tennessee 6-3 249
Abraham Wright DE Colorado 6-2 242
Kevin McLee OLB West Virginia 6-0 239
Mike D'Andrea ILB Ohio State 6-3 248

Chad Nkang SS Elon 6-0 220
Leonard Peters FS Hawaii 6-1 210
Zach Catanese FS Arizona State 6-2 225
Chinedum Ndukwe FS Notre Dame 6-2 206

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back