PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the Patriots cheat the Steelers out of Super Bowls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is but would the league dare punish the Patriots for it when they clearly chose not to do so for the Giants or other teams?

You bet your ass. What punishment did the Jets get for filming the Pats signals the year before Spygate happened?

Despite popular belief there is in fact no law that states that a Patriots playoff run must be accompied by cheating allegations for current or prior playoff success.

let's stop the madness, end threat

If you all think Steelers fans are bad (and they are) wait til you get a load of Packers fans if it's a NE-GB Super Bowl

Hey, if we videotaped their defensive signals in 2004 and used them in the AFC Conference Finals, as long as we did it from the stands, it was perfectly legal; no cheating took place.

Maybe.....they should have changed their signals?

You don't need the qualifier "as long as we did it from the stands". It was perfectly legal to tape from the sideline in 2004, as long as you didn't use the tape during the game.

Only thing I remember from '96 was eating the blue Elmer's Glue in the back of class.

Man, can't believe it's been 20 years since I've been a senior in high school

HA !!! It has been 31 years for me :p;)

Some of the Steelers’ defensive coaches remain convinced that a deep touchdown pass from Brady to Deion Branch in the January 2005 AFC Championship Game, which was won by the Patriots 41-27, came from stolen signals because Pittsburgh hadn’t changed its signals all year, sources say, and the two teams had played a game in the regular season that (Matt) Walsh told investigators he believes was taped. “They knew the signals, so they knew when it went in what the coverage was and how to attack it,” says a former Steelers coach. “I’ve had a couple of guys on my teams from New England, and they’ve told me those things.

This is such garbage. That play came on first down after the Pats had turned over the Steelers on downs (when Bettis decided not to follow his blockers on 4th and 1 and got stuffed). The defense had just come on the field - there was no need to be signalling in a play, they got it directly from their coaches as they took the field.

Add to that the fact that it's almost cliche to try for a deep strike right after a turnover, which is exactly what the Pats did, and what the Steelers should have been expecting. Stolen signals my arse.

I like it! It just shows that we are in their heads. Come the game on Sunday all it will take is for us to get up early on them and we will then really be in their heads.

I don't have a problem with all this, as this is what all winning teams (dynasty) have to endure.

It is when the cheating comments stop is when we will know we are in trouble.

Starkey's Mailbag: Did the Patriots cheat the Steelers out of Super Bowls?

Joe Starkey, @JoeStarkey1: You never answered your own question, jerk: Did the Patriots cheat the Steelers out of a Super Bowl or two?

Starkey: Hi, Joe. I’m going to say no in 2001, despite Hines Ward’s protestations. I’m a lot more suspicious of 2004, when the Patriots likely stole the Steelers’ defensive hand signals during a regular-season game at Heinz Field and came back here for the AFC championship.

What this? They blame the Pats for their own ineptitude in safeguarding their own hand signals..I suppose then, that they can blame the Pats for their own inept performance against us.

This **** is why I wanted KC to win.

Maybe you should have contacted Andy Reid and offered assistance in using timeouts and running the offense with more urgency.

:rolleyes:

No, but a more appropriate and relevant questions would be, did the steroid popping Steelers of the 70's cheat the Vikings out of Super Bowl IX, the Cowboys out of Super Bowl's X & XIII, and the Rams out of Super Bowl XIV ? Maybe they should ask that one instead? And, I won't even mention that travesty of epic proportion that took place in Super Bowl XL, against the Seahawks. Had to make sure "Bus" got his SB ring, especially in his home town of Detroit.

Bettis is to the NFL* HOF as Don Sutton is to the MLB HOF.

Last edited:
We outsmarteed them, we out hustled them, and we out muscled them.
Add in a splash of cat-like quickness and they are going down to defeat again.

Losers need excuses.

That is why i think the Pats community gets a bad rap. Sure when we have lost we have said it was to fluke plays at times. The key is "plays". Legit legal NFL plays. We lost on the field and accept it. Sometimes you don't get the bounce and sometimes we have lost to a better team.

Why can't other teams do that with us?

They don't have to ever since Goodell became Omissioner and gave them ready made excuses.

You bet your ass. What punishment did the Jets get for filming the Pats signals the year before Spygate happened?

Point taken, but the memo hadn't been sent out yet.

Plus in the instances when NY teams HAVE been caught in violations, they only received wrist slaps. The Giants having their 4th round pick devalued a maximum of 12 spots, is as harsh as it got.

Starkey's Mailbag: Did the Patriots cheat the Steelers out of Super Bowls?

Joe Starkey, @JoeStarkey1: You never answered your own question, jerk: Did the Patriots cheat the Steelers out of a Super Bowl or two?

Starkey: Hi, Joe. I’m going to say no in 2001, despite Hines Ward’s protestations. I’m a lot more suspicious of 2004, when the Patriots likely stole the Steelers’ defensive hand signals during a regular-season game at Heinz Field and came back here for the AFC championship.
Losers is what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back