PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demand for a quality OT in draft: Miller, McGlinchey, Brown, Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
OTOH, looking forward, it's not exclusively about Left tackle or exclusively about 2018. Cannon turns 30 soon and the only healthy (AFAIK) candidates on the roster behind him are Croston, and Waddle/Tobin (both of whom are UFA at the end of this season).

If Garcia is healthy and plays up to his scouting reports, there's still likely to be a starting spot for him fairly soon.

Fingers crossed. One of four OL over the years that got me excited.

One thing to remember about offensive lineman is that they haven’t really haven’t had a lot of time to have proper coaching. Teams only get these guys for a short amount a time a week or day or whatever you want to call it. They don’t really have a lot of time to learn everything in terms of run or pass blocking so they focus on one or the other

Seems like more NFL teams are in need of a OT. Patriots may have to pick earlier than expected for their choice.

Most folks are thinking Miller. Others think Williams.

Or will Cannon switch over to the Left side (which I think is not his strength).
Later round and year under DAnte

Annually, no, the first year or two, probably yes.

As for the comment earlier about being more concerned about losing Mason than Flowers? Um.. No.

I think that we have a much better chance at extending Mason than Flowers, although neither is likely.

Top linemen typically perform well for many years after 30. I think that Cannon is signed through 2021.

There is nothing at all wrong with having Garcia being a backup OT, or even compete with our rookie for a starting position this year or in 2019. Also, OT's get injured. I LIKE the idea of having three OT's as we have had for awhile.

Finally, sometimes a player who is capable of playing OT can also be a top OG, or even an adequate one. Dante finds a way to put our 5 best OL's on the field.

OTOH, looking forward, it's not exclusively about Left tackle or exclusively about 2018. Cannon turns 30 soon and the only healthy (AFAIK) candidates on the roster behind him are Croston, and Waddle/Tobin (both of whom are UFA at the end of this season).

If Garcia is healthy and plays up to his scouting reports, there's still likely to be a starting spot for him fairly soon.

Last edited:
I understand the needs at LB and at CB. But, for me, I would be very happy indeed if we came out of the top 50 with a QB and OT.

I understand the needs at LB and at CB. But, for me, I would be very happy indeed if we came out of the top 50 with a QB and OT.
I like your idea of OT and QB, but we have to get a blue chip LB, too, maybe even first. I love the idea of adding some speed and talent on a cheap contract.

hate to say this but...you guys have been here a long time and provide a wealth of good information and cogent thought. I see no flaw in either one of your recommendations. That being said, I think it's more than likely we don't make any of these choices and BB goes off in some direction no one expects, whether that being trading OUT or selecting a real head scratcher early. I hope he sees things your way, MG and Supa...I'm just once bitten twice shy.

I like your idea of OT and QB, but we have to get a blue chip LB, too, maybe even first. I love the idea of adding some speed and talent on a cheap contract.
I am not so convinced to grab OT in the first round. There is Waddle as our starter and Garcia who wants to prove his value. Undoubtedly we need some help in that area but assuming the fact this draft is a little bit weak at OTs I would be satisfied with a prospect taken in for instance second or third round. History shows Scarnechia did a great job with prospects form late rounds.
My dream is to find a decent CB,S or LB via our first two picks. To be honest I will not be shocked if BB use 31st pick to grab Reid or Harrison as our safety.

I am not so convinced to grab OT in the first round. There is Waddle as our starter and Garcia who wants to prove his value. Undoubtedly we need some help in that area but assuming the fact this draft is a little bit weak at OTs I would be satisfied with a prospect taken in for instance second or third round. History shows Scarnechia did a great job with prospects form late rounds.
My dream is to find a decent CB,S or LB via our first two picks. To be honest I will not be shocked if BB use 31st pick to grab Reid or Harrison as our safety.
How about OT O’Neill, then? I’m going to guess that he’s taken in the second, but I’m no draft guru. I know some people are thinking third, but I’m not sure that he’ll last that long.

If the right player is there at safety, you’re damn right that Belichick won’t be hesitant to pull the trigger and surprise some of us. Chung and McCourty aren’t getting any younger, Richards blows, and it looks like he’s looking for a 4th safety to play 15-20 snaps a game on many weeks. To take it one step further, we’ve been pretty lucky on the injury front at that specific position, so we could be due. If that’s the case, a guy like Reid or Harrison could be thrown into a larger role fairly quickly. This is also assuming that Harmon’s situation is just a minor setback which will result in a 1-2 game suspension, and that he hasn’t rubbed BB the wrong way or had any previous marks in the substance abuse program.

There aren’t many positions which don’t need to be addressed either this year or next, assuming that most of the WRs in the mix won’t be retained, and that we’ll likely be losing Mason and Flowers. It’s going to be interesting to see how Belichick prioritizes everything, since it’s so key for the future. It’s also why I’m against moving up more than something similar to the Jones/HT situation of 2012.

How about OT O’Neill, then? I’m going to guess that he’s taken in the second, but I’m no draft guru. I know some people are thinking third, but I’m not sure that he’ll last that long.

If the right player is there at safety, you’re damn right that Belichick won’t be hesitant to pull the trigger and surprise some of us. Chung and McCourty aren’t getting any younger, Richards blows, and it looks like he’s looking for a 4th safety to play 15-20 snaps a game on many weeks. To take it one step further, we’ve been pretty lucky on the injury front at that specific position, so we could be due. If that’s the case, a guy like Reid or Harrison could be thrown into a larger role fairly quickly. This is also assuming that Harmon’s situation is just a minor setback which will result in a 1-2 game suspension, and that he hasn’t rubbed BB the wrong way or had any previous marks in the substance abuse program.

There aren’t many positions which don’t need to be addressed either this year or next, assuming that most of the WRs in the mix won’t be retained, and that we’ll likely be losing Mason and Flowers. It’s going to be interesting to see how Belichick prioritizes everything, since it’s so key for the future. It’s also why I’m against moving up more than something similar to the Jones/HT situation of 2012.
Some articles suggest Garcia is not so far away from Kolton's abilities or even they are at the same level. However his health and shape status in spite of promising news is still under the question. Speaking about O'Neill I like that option in the late second round ( I am affraid he would be off the board in the third ) and so Crosby. They are a bit "raw" but they are great athletes and have some time working with Scarnechia to get better.
You have got damn right about safety and our "nickel base" defense. Taking Harmon's potential suspension into consideration Safety position must be address quickly. It is very interesting how BB will solve the problem of potential FA departures next season. Like I said earlier I do not believe we afford to keep Flowers and Mason. One of them staying in Foxborough will be a success.

I’m not especially high on Miller as it stands right now but it is worth bearing in mind that for us, it’s Miller, his near perfect size and athleticism and Dante that should be weighed together. That’s why I end up being OK with him as a pick in the first.

Nicely put. I just finished my report on'm and gave'm a 3rd Round Grade, on account of his being raaaaaaaaaaaaaw and on account of my not liking tall Tackles...But given Dante's extraordinary record in general and with Towering Tackles in particular, I believe we'd acquire solid value for'm at #23 or #31, whereas other teams wouldn't.

Top linemen typically perform well for many years after 30

Typically, perhaps. But not always.

Cannon's age/potential longevity (or lack thereof) is merely another variable in the roster-building equation, but not something that should be ignored.

Your heads are all going to explode when the Patriots select a guard in round 2.

The OT class sucks. There might be a day 3 pick spent on LT, but nothing more. Belichick is going to roll the dice with Waddle, Croston and Garcia and we're all just coming along for the ride.

Guard on the other hand...we have Mason hitting FA in 2019 and Thuney in 2020. Mason is going to get $10M+ on the open market. We need to be ready to move on.

They just drafted a guy last year that is in the same level as those guys. I don't see why they draft one.

I think the quality at OT just isn't there this year like in some other drafts. I wouldn't want to overreach for a mediocre tackle. I have the feeling BB is going to be patient and pluck one in rounds 2-3.

hate to say this but...you guys have been here a long time and provide a wealth of good information and cogent thought. I see no flaw in either one of your recommendations. That being said, I think it's more than likely we don't make any of these choices and BB goes off in some direction no one expects, whether that being trading OUT or selecting a real head scratcher early. I hope he sees things your way, MG and Supa...I'm just once bitten twice shy.

That's the thing I've learned to expect consistently with the draft. There's always going to be one pick that makes absolutely no sense and this board will enter meltdown mode over it.

Miller has a long, long ways to go to become an NFL starter. He's not a "steal" while there are still other positions at which an immediate contributor is available and needed.
Not disagreeing necessarily but some people said the same thing about solder.

4 picks, 3 positions

It's doable.
We have more than 3 positions that a 1st or 2nd could/should be used on aside from QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back