PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demand for a quality OT in draft: Miller, McGlinchey, Brown, Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like more NFL teams are in need of a OT. Patriots may have to pick earlier than expected for their choice.

Most folks are thinking Miller. Others think Williams.

Or will Cannon switch over to the Left side (which I think is not his strength).

The more tape I see of Miller, the less I like him.

After McGlinchey, the most NFL-ready tackle in this class is probably Isaiah Wynn. After that, Williams, O'Neill, Okorafor, Noteboom, Parker, Smith, Crosby - all seem to offer about the same level of developmental potential, and it's possible that none of them ever make the grade as a long-term starter for the Pats. I'm really not sure at all that "that guy" will be acquired in this draft, regardless what they do. Scar is really, really good, but he's not a miracle-worker, regardless how it may seem at times.

I feel that there may well be a 1-3 year period ahead of extremely unusual discontinuity at OT for the Pats.

I’m good with that. Maybe land hurst round 2 to take over by 2019.

I'm really not seeing a compelling reason to move on from Brown and reduce the experience level of the DL interior even further.

Wynn was outstanding at LT and I’d love to see him given that opportunity here. And at the very worst, we’ll have three really good guards.

Yeah, I'm on board with Wynn as a tackle. I just think he and McGlinchey will be picked prior to the Patriots' first selection, and everybody thereafter is a reach. I don't think either of them are so good they'd be worth trading up for, either, and there are going to be very, very good guards and centers available in rounds 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm on board with Wynn as a tackle. I just think he and McGlinchey will be picked prior to the Patriots' first selection, and everybody thereafter is a reach. I don't think either of them are so good they'd be worth trading up for, either, and there are going to be very, very good guards and centers available in rounds 2 and 3.

Wynn's undersized. What makes everyone think he can play tackle?

I'm glad the Pats have a decent scouting dept as well as the coaching staff to evaluate these players.......if you go by the talking heads you'll end up drafting like the Yets.....

nowhere near enough to franchise Mason
and certainly not enough bonus money for a long term contract
Annually, no, the first year or two, probably yes.

As for the comment earlier about being more concerned about losing Mason than Flowers? Um.. No.

+1 to the idea of getting someone like O’Neill, a great athlete at the position who just (use the term “just” lightly) needs to work on technique given he’s only played on the OL for a few years. A developmental guy, who hopefully wouldn’t require any of the first 3 picks to obtain.

If there’s no plug and play guy, then why not avoid wasting draft capital on picking someone who’s a little overrated like McGlinchey and Williams. It does seem like O’Neill is becoming less of a lesser known though, so some other team might reach given the value of the position.

McGlinchey is a powerful run blocker, but not athletic enough in pass protection for the left tackle position.

Miller is uber athletic, but sucks in run blocking and needs to have his pass protection technique completely reworked. He might be ready in a year or so to start. Won’t help us much in 2018.

Wynn and rankins are guards.

O’Neil is athletic enough, but needs to get stronger. He would get run over regularly if forced to play right away. He might be ready by 2019 or 2020.

Crosby is a tremendous run blocker and adequate pass protector. Not the most athletic. He might be a guy to play left tackle as a rookie then slide into mason’s spot when Mason leaves.

Kolton Miller would be a steal at 23.

He's Solder 2.0.

Annually, no, the first year or two, probably yes.

As for the comment earlier about being more concerned about losing Mason than Flowers? Um.. No.

The demand for, and cost of, good (not even elite) IOL has never been higher. That's partly because the suitability of college OL in general for the pro game has been declining as college offense styles have changed. It's also partly due to the recent focus on interior pass rush from NFL defenses.

This, in turn, has begun to lead to a slight decline in demand for edge-rushers. While elite edge-rushers may still command top dollar for their services, Trey Flowers is kind of 2nd-tier.

I think that both Mason and Flowers seem likely to get contract offers in 2019 FA that the Pats won't want to match. However, it still seems possible that the offers to Flowers might be close enough to work something out while there are reasonable alternative players available. OTOH, I expect the Pats to be way outbid for Mason's services and that particular supply pipeline isn't as full as it once was.

Kolton Miller would be a steal at 23.

He's Solder 2.0.

Miller has a long, long ways to go to become an NFL starter. He's not a "steal" while there are still other positions at which an immediate contributor is available and needed.

Miller has a long, long ways to go to become an NFL starter. He's not a "steal" while there are still other positions at which an immediate contributor is available and needed.

I’m not especially high on Miller as it stands right now but it is worth bearing in mind that for us, it’s Miller, his near perfect size and athleticism and Dante that should be weighed together. That’s why I end up being OK with him as a pick in the first. It just disappoints me a little for what it would mean for Garcia who I still think could be excellent.

I’m not especially high on Miller as it stands right now but it is worth bearing in mind that for us, it’s Miller, his near perfect size and athleticism and Dante that should be weighed together. That’s why I end up being OK with him as a pick in the first. It just disappoints me a little for what it would mean for Garcia who I still think could be excellent.

OTOH, looking forward, it's not exclusively about Left tackle or exclusively about 2018. Cannon turns 30 soon and the only healthy (AFAIK) candidates on the roster behind him are Croston, and Waddle/Tobin (both of whom are UFA at the end of this season).

If Garcia is healthy and plays up to his scouting reports, there's still likely to be a starting spot for him fairly soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back