PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense - old, slow, bad

And yet, Anderson made the team over other players in camp...
Money Dollar Sign GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

When the Bills O heard the Pats D were “2nd in points per game”/ “top 5 defense”:

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Et tu, Mike?

Mike is highlighting the same observations that other beat reporters have and they are painful but truthful reads. A lot of good posters on here are saying the same. BB has said they will be reviewing the season and not just the playoff game but yikes there seems to be quite a few questions to be answered.

Mike is highlighting the same observations that other beat reporters have and they are painful but truthful reads. A lot of good posters on here are saying the same. BB has said they will be reviewing the season and not just the playoff game but yikes there seems to be quite a few questions to be answered.
I agree. The issue really seems to be that to rebuild the D we will have to eat a lot of salary cap and hope to find suitable replacements via FA and the draft. It seems to me to be a lot to ask to be able to pull off such a rebuild in a season or two, but that's what we're facing. In particular we need to get past BUF to advance in the playoffs for the next several seasons, and we see they're really stocked on offense. The timing might need to be us needing two seasons to get stronger while they need two seasons for their window to close and enter their down cycle. Even that feels like it will need a lot of things to go right for it to happen. Then we need to consider we lost to MIA twice this season and they have a horde of draft picks to spend for next season. I'm not saying it can't happen, but am saying we really have quite a challenge ahead of us.

Then why did the coaches assign him to play in space on that play or any play for that matter?
Because he was still better than anyone else they have.. Or hadn't that thought occurred to you?

Considering the state of the defensive front, that’s not saying much. N’Keal Harry made the team over other players in camp too, and he was pretty much useless.

McGrone is the way the league is going. Darius Leonard, Devondre Campbell, Roquon Smith, Fred Warner, Patrick Queen, Devin White just to name a few. All smaller guys who would probably have been safeties 20 years ago. They are able to go sideline to sideline and over RBs in the flat and close in quickly on stretch runs. The league is now basketball on grass and we need athletes. McMillian and Bentley can find niche roles as running down LBs but the days of the big lumbering 260 lb linebackers as three down players is gone and Bill needs to make some changes.

Agreed but it only works if the DL keeps the offensive guards off the linebackers. It is not as easy as get some fast LBs, we also have to have the big DTs that eat up the OL. Devin White is great with Vita Vea in front of him. Barmore is a start - need one or two more.

I agree but two factors to consider here
Playing late in preseason games isn’t a sign that he is high on the depth chart
Also who were the other guys he did beat out for the roster spot , I forgot it

I agree but two factors to consider here
Playing late in preseason games isn’t a sign that he is high on the depth chart
Also who were the other guys he did beat out for the roster spot , I forgot it
Gee.. You could go look at the 2021/2022 Patriots roster transaction page and figure it out for yourself.

Bill Murrary, Montravious Adams, Nick Thurman, Tashon Bower, Rashon Berry..

Remember that this was Anderson's 1st year in the defense, but had come in with a HIGH Run Stopping Ranking.

Considering the state of the defensive front, that’s not saying much. N’Keal Harry made the team over other players in camp too, and he was pretty much useless.
You've taken up Capt. Stone's Mantel of Absurdity so you'll forgive everyone for taking what you say with a grain of salt. Come back when you stop putting words in people's mouths and spewing exaggerations so absurd they make Turds look valuable.

Gee.. You could go look at the 2021/2022 Patriots roster transaction page and figure it out for yourself.

Bill Murrary, Montravious Adams, Nick Thurman, Tashon Bower, Rashon Berry..
Sorry I don’t follow every thread here
And the list does not contain a lot of great competition Anderson beat out, I expected him to beat them out
Remember that this was Anderson's 1st year in the defense, but had come in with a HIGH Run Stopping Ranking.
Yup I was excited about his signing to get more juice in the run defense from the DE position but it did not seem to click for him and first year defense or not he barely made the roster imo

You've taken up Capt. Stone's Mantel of Absurdity so you'll forgive everyone for taking what you say with a grain of salt. Come back when you stop putting words in people's mouths and spewing exaggerations so absurd they make Turds look valuable.
As I see it, I’m getting more positive ratings on my posts while you’re getting, let’s see… none. Maybe you’re the one being absurd here? I thought you might have considered that the morning after you slept it off and realized that you were blaming a 30-point loss on the officiating. Defending the personnel on defense by citing Anderson and Cowart just adds a whole new layer to the absurdity.

Last edited:
Life cycle of Defensive players (using 2021)

category #4: old, slow and cooked - Hightower, Collins and guy!

category #3: Old and slowing down, but may have a tiny bit left in the tank - mccourty and van noy.

category #2: meh - wise, godchaux, Bryant, uche, winovich, Davis and mills.

category #1: solid/studs/future studs - Phillips, jackson, Duggar, judon, j jones and barmore!

Best case scenario; guys come in as category 1 or 2. Over time they slide down into category 3 and 4.

the patriots rebuild is about adding players to categories 1 and 2 faster than categories 3 and 4 grow. That is why good drafting is so important.

Because he was still better than anyone else they have.. Or hadn't that thought occurred to you?
The thought occurred to me that coaching is putting players in position where they can make plays, If you have a player whose mobility is limited by injury, again why would you call a defense that has him playing in space?

I wouldn't say Mills was a good player but he clearly was missed in the Bills game. Good value on his contract too. Mills and Jon Jones both out was basically a practice squad secondary.

The PatsD held up most of the year due to a good pass defense and crappy run defense. Missing Mills broke down the whole defense, as the passD had no chance and the runD was laughably bad all year with 10M Godchaux and crappy Bentley routinely being pushed back ot taking bad angles all season long.

The thought occurred to me that coaching is putting players in position where they can make plays, If you have a player whose mobility is limited by injury, again why would you call a defense that has him playing in space?
I’m not sure how long he played, but I would’ve yanked him out of the game after the play Allen blew right passed him if it was known he was hurt. But even if he was healthy, there’s no way he’d be able to run with Allen. In fact, your best and arguably only true pass rushing threat should never be in coverage.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back