PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dante Scarnecchia on what Mac needs

So you think that Meyers with 866 yards and Bourne with 800 yards would struggle to be a #2 or 3 on another team? What world do you live in?
Heck, the Patriots’ #2 outperformed both #1 seeds’ #2 WR. Yes, even after adjusting for the games Julio Jones missed.

Seeing that Brady was a 4th string QB in his rookie year, it is highly unlikely he would have done better on that particular pass, in that same situation. Let's just let the kid live his own career.
No doubt Jones will continue to get better. I like him a lot as a QB here. He‘ll never have a rocket for an arm, but a little more arm strength will afford him the luxury of not having to be so precise with his throws.

Just cause he’s a rookie doesn’t mean we can’t speak on his mistakes. Ppl always say “if I was getting paid millions I’d do xyz” well he’s a grown man, he made a mistake, and I bet you he owns up to it cause he seems mature. He knew what he was working with, he saw film on Hyde and knew what he was capable of. Whatever.

One thing that Brady did a lot was purposefully throw it out of reach to draw the pi or even threaten the opponent that he and the oc are willing to throw. If the wrs athletics enough to get it cool. If not whatever beats a sack or interception.

also that changes the complexion of the game with that td. Maybe we still lose but it ain’t an historic blowout.
Im sure that Mac will try to do it different next time. He has no choice because his job just got tougher.

The question is does he have what it takes physically?

The throw was pretty good, though slightly under thrown. But there was so much loft on the throw the safety had time get over from the middle of field to make the pick. Buffalo has great safeties. Not a great call against those safeties. Maybe if Mac had a stronger arm.
That kind of sensible talk is a bannable offense.

Where do you say Meyers and Bourne operate best slot or wideout serious question ?

I don't. I say Mac needs a binkie who's better than say, Meyers. The post is either here somewhere or on BSJ.

guys like Welker, amendola, Edelman don't grow on trees...as I was watching the national championship I spied #18 for Alabama making tons of catches - a safety valve for the QB. #18 is a white slot receiver so obviously I make the connection :) ....then I compared 40 times etc....not even close. Welker and Edelman were in the low 4.5s and this Slade Bolden fella is a 4.7....(sad trombone)
But what is his 3cone time? That's the insane stat that helped to make Edelman great. He had a really fast 3cone time, exhibiting excellent quickness, agility and body control.

The problem is that they don’t have a WR who can beat a true #1 corner, and for teams with two really good CB’s they probably can’t beat either. Additionally Agholor is their only real deep threat, and he isn’t very good. Their OL did not have a very good season, but it’s not a bad OL, but I would like to see them add one good OL to the mix. But when you look at their offensive units it is clearly WR where they really need to upgrade.

Im sure that Mac will try to do it different next time. He has no choice because his job just got tougher.

The question is does he have what it takes physically?
His performance gives him one year. If next year, with the same crew, he posts the same numbers then yea he’s replaceable.

doesn’t mean you draft qb but you definitely stay open and don’t overpay an elite slot guy when you have a serviceable one now, just to build around his game. You just make do and overcompensate in other areas.

The throw was pretty good, though slightly under thrown. But there was so much loft on the throw the safety had time get over from the middle of field to make the pick. Buffalo has great safeties. Not a great call against those safeties. Maybe if Mac had a stronger arm.
You either loft it and throw it farther or throw a bullet. How many folks wanted more shots downfield? We don’t score on that drive we lose.

Heck, the Patriots’ #2 outperformed both #1 seeds’ #2 WR. Yes, even after adjusting for the games Julio Jones missed.
Julio Jones missed 7 games while Meyers plaed all 17. With less 7 less games he averaged 14 yards only 1 less td and 432 less yards. Also keep in mind, Jones is clearly a number 2 on the depth chart so he did all that with 50 less receptions because he was injured and not treated like a first option.

That's not really a great comparison when you need to compare him to a guy who missed close to half the season and he's clearly more efficient.

And again, Meyers and Borune are being asked to be number 1 and number 2. The Titans actual number 1, AJ Brown (which is what Meyers is being asked to be) missed 4 games and still got more yards and TD's and a higher average than Meyers. Nobody in their right mind would trade Julio for Meyers or Bourne straight up.

I'm not even saying get rid of them, but they are players who this needs should be relying on as a feature pieces of the passing game. I think proof of that is that the passing game has been trash this year and pretty much no analysts are blaming Mac on that.

Maybe they need a better qb man.

he puts some more air on that Hyde int, that’sa touchdown early in the game

Hmmmmmm, Micheal Bishop or Tom Brady? Bishop clearly, he has a cannon.

Hmmmmmm, Drew Bledso or Tom Brady? Bledsoe obviously, he has a cannon, and he was the # 1 pick.

Hmmmmm……..Brady has a weak arm, that’s why he dinks and dunks. He’s just going to hold a clipboard for his career. He doesn’t have a cannon…..He couldn’t even win the job at Michigan.

Ignore that the author chose a salacious title. Meat from Dante’s quotes:

“We’ve always had that guy, a guy who moved the chains,” said Scarnecchia. “Whether it was Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola when all else failed, he was that guy. But they don’t have that guy right now.”

“They gotta get a better supporting cast around (Mac),” said Scar. “They don’t want to hear that, but that’s the truth. Other than Jakobi Meyers, who do they got?”

Personally I agree. Mac had a very methodical development and a leash, but if we don’t get WR’s soon we are setting him up to have a low ceiling and to fail. No defense respected our passing game this year and it showed.

Other than Jakobi Meyers, who do they got?

Kendrick Bourne. 55 rec, 800 yds, 78.6% catch rate, 14.5 yds per catch, 5 td

Bourne is excellent. Better than Meyers actually. He needs to be used way more.

The problem is that they don’t have a WR who can beat a true #1 corner, and for teams with two really good CB’s they probably can’t beat either. Additionally Agholor is their only real deep threat, and he isn’t very good. Their OL did not have a very good season, but it’s not a bad OL, but I would like to see them add one good OL to the mix. But when you look at their offensive units it is clearly WR where they really need to upgrade.
I'm not sold on the needing a #1 WR but rather having a number of receivers that can beat man coverage and get open most of the time.

Mac cannot live his life throwing in tight windows most of the time. It's unsustainable.

Look at Jakobi...love the kid but 1.6 yards of separation and less than 5 yards per cushion ain't gonna cut it.

If you look at Bourne it's the same thing only he has a little more shake and bake and speed after the catch.

It did not have to be lofted to get there. Check out Brady’s throw to beat the Jets this year. He threw it about 40 yards on a rope For the game winning TD. The problem was how long Mac’s throw was in the air.

I checked out Terry Bradshaw's pass to beat the Raiders in 1974 for comparison to Mac's throw. You're wrong. Asphalt and pea gravel have similar applications with similar results. Apples and oranges might not be the best mixed together, but add grapes/bananas and you've got fruit salad. Case closed.

I'm not sold on the needing a #1 WR but rather having a number of receivers that can beat man coverage and get open most of the time.

Mac cannot live his life throwing in tight windows most of the time. It's unsustainable.

Look at Jakobi...love the kid but 1.6 yards of separation and less than 5 yards per cushion ain't gonna cut it.

If you look at Bourne it's the same thing only he has a little more shake and bake and speed after the catch.

One thing to keep in mind: Mac now has an offseason in which to connect and practice with his current wideouts. So I gotta believe getting in rhythm with these guys will help to create more separation next season.

Doesn't change the fact that the Pats need a #1 WR though, or as you imply, a couple of #1B's.

You either loft it and throw it farther or throw a bullet. How many folks wanted more shots downfield? We don’t score on that drive we lose.
Did you watch the Chargers vs Raiders game to decide the 7th AFC post season seed?

Herbert threw an absolute lasar TD between 2 Raider DBs to tie the ball game. His WR was covered up, but he still scored a TD.

The consensus has been circulating a while now: Mac needs a quick, reliable go-to slot guy.

Bourne and Meyers play the way Troy Brown, reliable guys who could be trusted to go to when it matters, Welker and Edelman played like each other, guys who were so quick they could get open instantly so Brady could bail out under blitzes and heavy pressure. Renfrow is more like the latter imo. Jones definitely needs a guy like Edelman, but unfortunately Gunner hasn’t turned into that player yet. But even more than this Jones needs a true #1, and the only way he is getting that is through a high pick in this draft, which is scary because Belichick sucks at picking receivers high in the draft, e.g…Chad Jackson and Harry, possibly the two biggest busts of his career.

I agree with Bourne and Meyers but I definitely think he needs a WR who scares defenses and opens up the field. Defenses this season were able to pack it in against them because their run game was mostly up the middle, snd none of their receivers were deep threats who could beat quality corners. I think they should focus on WR on offense, and focus everything else on defense this off-season. And although I have only taken a cursory look at the upcoming draft I think there will be a # 1 WR available when they pick, although the good draft poster’s here would have a better idea on this.

Every team left in the post season has a # 1 WR while the Patriots stubbornly go Frank Sinatra "I did it my way"

Even the Titans who are somewhat molded in the Patriots image have AJ Brown. 2001 was 20 year ago and the NFL has changed. Even Brady saw that and knew that he needed better receivers to win big rings.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back