PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dante Scarnecchia on what Mac needs

Youre correct. The ball should have been thrown over Agahlor head and in front of him. There was plenty of room for Agahlor to run under it.

It wasnt. The ball was behind Agahlor. He had to reach back and let the pass arrive.
Harry would have caught that. Unfortunately, he was more than likely to run the wrong route. Agholor is not a contested ball catcher; therefore not a #1 option. He's the guy you way overthrow on purpose a couple of times a game to loosen up the underneath passes.

guys like Welker, amendola, Edelman don't grow on trees...as I was watching the national championship I spied #18 for Alabama making tons of catches - a safety valve for the QB. #18 is a white slot receiver so obviously I make the connection :) ....then I compared 40 times etc....not even close. Welker and Edelman were in the low 4.5s and this Slade Bolden fella is a 4.7....(sad trombone)

Youre correct. The ball should have been thrown over Agahlor head and in front of him. There was plenty of room for Agahlor to run under it.

It wasnt. The ball was behind Agahlor. He had to reach back and let the pass arrive.
Just cause he’s a rookie doesn’t mean we can’t speak on his mistakes. Ppl always say “if I was getting paid millions I’d do xyz” well he’s a grown man, he made a mistake, and I bet you he owns up to it cause he seems mature. He knew what he was working with, he saw film on Hyde and knew what he was capable of. Whatever.

One thing that Brady did a lot was purposefully throw it out of reach to draw the pi or even threaten the opponent that he and the oc are willing to throw. If the wrs athletics enough to get it cool. If not whatever beats a sack or interception.

also that changes the complexion of the game with that td. Maybe we still lose but it ain’t an historic blowout.

I suppose we can conclude Scar is not a fan of BB’s recent FA additions to the offense.

If only Braxton Berrios hadn’t gotten away…he’d be pretty useful right now methinks.

Berrios benefited from a ton of garbage yards. The Jets are so far behind the opposing team lets Berrios run around for a 5 to 8 yard pickup. If you watch Berrios you will see that his routes are not crisp, and he is not fast. No idea why anyone would want Berrios - he is the exact opposite of what we want.

Also yall scar is an oline coach.

if he was so smart about anything else he’d have been offered a hc gig. I value this as much as skip and Shannon’s takes.

If he spoke on what tackles they need to get I’d be ears open but who gives a ****.

A long rant about our draft history.. yet again..

We drafted real bad and traded also for the worst .. Antonio, sanu and agholor.

Just for the trades the GM should be fired . The coach Bill helped the GM stay afloat. 49ers are gonna get a 1st and additional pocket change for garopollo while we gave garopollo for second round, did not trade thuney when market was high, not sure why we traded Gilmore for peanuts.

All these factors and now we have zero playmakers from the prior drafts excluding 2021.

The drafts from 2016 to 2020 are shocking. The worst of the lot was 2019 and Harris and Bailey salvaging it to a certain extent (Bailey who is also regressing.)

2016 -2020 - we have drafted 42 players across 7 rounds.

Out of these the only notable selections are 5 good ones and 8 ordinary ones and 29 miserable flops. Notice that we have decent success at offensive linemen and running backs as both are complimentary. All other areas are abject failures.

Tier A

Joe Thuney, Ted Karras, Damien Harris, Kyle dugger, Onwenu

Tier B
Malcolm Mitchell, Sony Michel,Jake Bailey, Bentley

Tier C
Wise,Herron,Wynn, brissett.

If we take top 2 rounds where it's relatively easier to draft talent we had 8 selections where there is only 1 decent strike ( dugger) , 2 contributors ( Wynn, Michel) while 5 zero contributions.

Wasted picks on asiasi and Keene could have been used to at least build depth defensive pieces . 0 WR and TE success . We just got lucky with Gronk,Edelman,moss,Welker, branch who helped us stay afloat. Now no receiver demands double coverage .

We might just be an average 7-10 win team unless we hit a home run with a defensive stud or Offensive stud. We got lucky with 2021, else we would be even more screwed.

Our coaching can help us win against undisciplined teams , but teams with talent and discipline will romp over us and This has been happening consistently for the last 3 years . Whoever is doing our free agency acquisition , they should also be under the scanner. Just imagine if Judon got injured in first half, the entire team make up would be different and we might have ended as a 5-12 team. One guy influenced an entire teams defense. He gets injured in latter half , we get exposed as frauds on defense.

2022 also we need to have a solid draft and hope to hit some home runs with 3rd and 4th round picks outside of RBs and linemen.

Dude.... that was more of a good play than a bad pass. It wasn't a perfect pass. But it was a pass that 99% of QB's including Brady and Rodgers wouldn't expect to be intercepted

It wasn’t a perfect pass.

you’re right.

I have not gone back and relooked at that play, but it looked like the pass was a bit short, but also on the wrong side of the receiver. Agholor, if I saw it right, was looking for the ball on the boundary (on the sideline) and had to turn around as Mac threw it inside such that the interception was possible. If the pass was made to the sideline in the endzone that is a touchdown. I am a huge Mac supporter, but I think the placement on that interception was poor. Had to be to the sideline away from the free safety. Mac will learn.

Just for the trades the GM should be fired . The coach Bill helped the GM stay afloat. 49ers are gonna get a 1st and additional pocket change for garopollo while we gave garopollo for second round, did not trade thuney when market was high, not sure why we traded Gilmore for peanuts.
Wait. So you think there's no difference whatsoever in trading Jimmy G back when he was on the Pats when he only played sparingly and also got hurt during Brady's suspension and now when he has a proven track record as a very good starter (when healthy)?

Wait. So you think there's no difference whatsoever in trading Jimmy G back when he was on the Pats when he only played sparingly and also got hurt during Brady's suspension and now when he has a proven track record as a very good starter (when healthy)?

I do but I heard we could have got a one from cleveland. How does that help the team? 5 QBs were taken in that draft when we traded Jimmy.

I have not gone back and relooked at that play, but it looked like the pass was a bit short, but also on the wrong side of the receiver. Agholor, if I saw it right, was looking for the ball on the boundary (on the sideline) and had to turn around as Mac threw it inside such that the interception was possible. If the pass was made to the sideline in the endzone that is a touchdown. I am a huge Mac supporter, but I think the placement on that interception was poor. Had to be to the sideline away from the free safety. Mac will learn.
Overthrow it just enough…

incomplete? still have the ball, and bills say uh oh that was close.

hyde

All these factors and now we have zero playmakers from the prior drafts excluding 2021.

The drafts from 2016 to 2020 are shocking. The worst of the lot was 2019 and Harris and Bailey salvaging it to a certain extent (Bailey who is also regressing.)

2016 -2020 - we have drafted 42 players across 7 rounds.

Out of these the only notable selections are 5 good ones and 8 ordinary ones and 29 miserable flops. Notice that we have decent success at offensive linemen and running backs as both are complimentary. All other areas are abject failures.

Tier A

Joe Thuney, Ted Karras, Damien Harris, Kyle dugger, Onwenu

Tier B
Malcolm Mitchell, Sony Michel,Jake Bailey, Bentley

Tier C
Wise,Herron,Wynn, brissett.

If we take top 2 rounds where it's relatively easier to draft talent we had 8 selections where there is only 1 decent strike ( dugger) , 2 contributors ( Wynn, Michel) while 5 zero contributions.

Wasted picks on asiasi and Keene could have been used to at least build depth defensive pieces . 0 WR and TE success . We just got lucky with Gronk,Edelman,moss,Welker, branch who helped us stay afloat. Now no receiver demands double coverage .

We might just be an average 7-10 win team unless we hit a home run with a defensive stud or Offensive stud. We got lucky with 2021, else we would be even more screwed.

Our coaching can help us win against undisciplined teams , but teams with talent and discipline will romp over us and This has been happening consistently for the last 3 years . Whoever is doing our free agency acquisition , they should also be under the scanner. Just imagine if Judon got injured in first half, the entire team make up would be different and we might have ended as a 5-12 team. One guy influenced an entire teams defense. He gets injured in latter half , we get exposed as frauds on defense.

2022 also we need to have a solid draft and hope to hit some home runs with 3rd and 4th round picks outside of RBs and linemen.
we drafted a great running back and a serviceable qb this season. We got an elite edge rusher, a great d lineman, semi elite tight end…

we could’ve easily regressed from ‘20. We improved substantially.

We also smartly moved on from michel who we didn’t need.

i do think bb takes blame for uche tho. Dugger looks good.

OMG HARRY SUCKS NEW TAKE

I do but I heard we could have got a one from cleveland. How does that help the team? 5 QBs were taken in that draft when we traded Jimmy.
You know that was just a rumor cooked up by the Browns media, right...right?

Overthrow it just enough…

incomplete? still have the ball, and bills say uh oh that was close.

hyde

we drafted a great running back and a serviceable qb this season. We got an elite edge rusher, a great d lineman, semi elite tight end…

we could’ve easily regressed from ‘20. We improved substantially.

We also smartly moved on from michel who we didn’t need.

i do think bb takes blame for uche tho. Dugger looks good.

OMG HARRY SUCKS NEW TAKE
I get it. I realize we had a home run in 2021. But looking at the history just had to vent it out. Don't want that 5 year misery to hit us again.

I don't understand the near-total disappearance of J.J. Taylor, just guessing it must be his lack of blocking ability.

I was expecting to see JJ much more often after White was IRed and nobody else was brought into the building... Wonder if it's more than just blocking issues... Either way I think he's a longer shot to stick next season than he was this season.

guys like Welker, amendola, Edelman don't grow on trees...as I was watching the national championship I spied #18 for Alabama making tons of catches - a safety valve for the QB. #18 is a white slot receiver so obviously I make the connection :) ....then I compared 40 times etc....not even close. Welker and Edelman were in the low 4.5s and this Slade Bolden fella is a 4.7....(sad trombone)
They don't grow on trees, but you do in fact need marquee receivers on your team. Even if it's an Edelman or Lockett or Anquan Boldin type dude. Right now our best would struggle to make a lot of teams.

I was expecting to see JJ much more often after White was IRed and nobody else was brought into the building... Wonder if it's more than just blocking issues... Either way I think he's a longer shot to stick next season than he was this season.
I think a big problem is Harris, Stevenson and Boldin are probably clearly ahead of him in the RB department so it's kinda hard for him to get spots called for him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back