PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dante Scarnecchia on what Mac needs

Meyers was tied for third in 1st down catches on 3rd and <3 (only Cooks and Kupp were higher), and tied for tenth for 1st down catches on 3rd down overall (Jefferson, Hill, Kupp, Allen, Cooks, Adams, Waddle, Diggs, and Evans were the only ones higher). stats.com

I'm pretty excited to see how that combo will look next year, especially since it'll be Meyers' last year before UFA. I'd try to lock the guy down now, but I'm sure I'm in the tiny minority at this point, especially since he's got "Paul Pierce" athleticism.
It'll be his first season with any sort of continuity at QB.

I can't believe Mac is the QB getting all the hate.
Because he plays QB, hopefully he will get too much credit soon. What Mac needs is a better Patriots team in all three phases. After the 2019 season Brady knew that the team needed a rebuild and left because he did not want to waste his last few years. Thinking that Mac should win with a team that Brady could not win with is not realistic. While the team made progress elevating the talent level this year, it takes some time to complete a systematic roster overhaul while remaining competitive on the field. Even if TB12 was on the team, the Patriots would not have won in the playoffs. Better to have a rookie QB with a season of development than a GOAT who walks away from the game in disgust.

Ive always been on the philosophy that WR production can be replaced by many other WRs, other positions, even an OL sometimes. As long as the ball is well-distributed, the outcome is gonna be good

I dont know if thats the case anymore, bc of how much the game changed... Passing attacks are more proeminent than ever, except for the Titans and us (and thats a maybe, idk the exact numbers), pretty much all of the NFL is simply more pass-oriented

That means, at least in average i guess, WRs, if they are active, are going to more and more part of the overall production on offense. Having ONE Wr who will, at the very least, call for double coverage all the time, or be a real menace all the time, its becoming... essential. That might be word.

We need ONE guy who is a STUD at receiving. That i know for sure. Henry is the closest we got, but he aint it (yet...). Meyers too, still not this guy (if ever...). Brady almost always had that too , especially later in the renascence... In 2019 he didnt have that guy anymore(since Edelman was struggling mightly and Gronk was retired) and that was what it was... and he is Tom Brady.

But I dont know if I can ever trust a WR draftee again.... Harry was too much of a heartbrake. I wanted him to be good so much

Until we hit on anything above the 7th round at least, again. Untill then, keep looking for these crazy URFA and weird QBs...

In addition, Mac needs to work with Tom House or Tony Romo on strength and mechanics improvements...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back