PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

Scarnecchia: new offensive line scheme not written in stone

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Johnson was kind of a garbage FB. I'm pretty sure they could use just about any 250lber in that spot.

Wow, I had no idea. Never missed a block when I was watching. And I've never heard anyone else criticise his play. Huh.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Watching those healthy runs by Harris, they often have Johnson in the lead...concerned about that for this year.
Well it’s a different play structure. If you play a fb you will invite an extra man into the box and the middle of the field, that he needs to block. If you have no FB and spread the field you don’t have a lead blocker but you have one less defender at the point of attack.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Wow, I had no idea. Never missed a block when I was watching. And I've never heard anyone else criticise his play. Huh.
I agree he was mediocre.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions

captain stone

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
Watching those healthy runs by Harris, they often have Johnson in the lead...concerned about that for this year.

Yep; that's what I had hoped that somebody such as Dalton Never Seene Keene could've provided... or Ben Mason, who has now returned to Bawlmore's PS...

Zuma

Hall of Fame Benchwarmer
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Yep; that's what I had hoped that somebody such as Dalton Never Seene Keene could've provided... or Ben Mason, who has now returned to Bawlmore's PS...
Agree. I thought Keene would have been part of that solution. Lets see what happens during the season.

Last edited:

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions

Interesting stuff. Scar says the Pats will scrap the zone blocking scheme sooner rather than later if Bill finds it’s not working and not to panic at this point…

The article also says that Ted Johnson thinks Bill will stubbornly keep the new scheme. I don't know about you, but I tend to believe Scar over a guy who hates Bill...:rolleyes:
"Sometimes it felt like Bill would get an idea and it would be like we were running our heads into a brick wall," said Ted Johnson.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I had to edit in the "Ted" after all the fullback talk.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
I will be surprised if BB is not full speed ahead with the new scheme.

NashuaPats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
I understand how the Shanahan/outside zone blocking scheme impacts the running game, but it’s unclear to me what impact, if any, it has on the passing game. If anyone here who is good with the X’s and O’s of the game would like to explain, I’d appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I understand how the Shanahan/outside zone blocking scheme impacts the running game, but it’s unclear to me what impact, if any, it has on the passing game. If anyone here who is good with the X’s and O’s of the game would like to explain, I’d appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Play action looks different off of this type of run block scheme. Since it’s based off a wide stretch run it often entails a roll out as the receivers move opposite the flow of the defense.
We havent used that because rollouts were a Brady weakness. Scar says we tried and scrapped that immediately. Whether we use it with Jones or how often depends on whether we even increase the zone run usage which is debatable and how Jones dies with roll outs.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I consider myself an expert because I determined that in this context "OZB" does not mean Ounce Blitz.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
Bring Ben to Foxboro. Release Ferentz. Or something.

A football team without a fullback is like a martini without an olive.

captain stone

Reactions
Bring Ben to Foxboro. Release Ferentz. Or something.

A football team without a fullback is like a martini without an olive.

Yep, or a bong without ice water...

captain stone

Reactions
I take it Mixon no longer breaks women’s jaws?

Yeah I wouldn't have touched him with either of our 3rd-round picks had he still been available at that point of the 2017 draft... I wouldn't have been surprised if it had ended badly for him in the league; but good for him for keeping his hands to himself since then, I guess... like a real man should've done anyway... Still would never have voted him a team captain, however...

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
It really helps in the MOF (middle of field) bc LB's have to cut off the aiming points near the sideline so specifically it helps create space in that part of the field. That horizontal flow becomes natural for some guys. Once you've established that stretch/wide run you can run stuff that naturally compliments it. Boots to the opposite side and hit overs or crossers. I've been hoping we would run more RPO, some of those are perfect compliments to those stretch runs.

Vindicate

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reactions
Yep, or a bong without ice water...

How many teams imement a true (modern) FB, especially as a (modernly) traditional FB such as Devlin/Johnson?

Side note: trying to specify what is "traditional" as an FB is really annoying given the sheer amount of directions that the position has been pulled.

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick