PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damar Hamlin Updates

literally every single person who uses the “NPC” meme is an insufferable conspiratorial piece of shi.t who never sees a dumb twitter meme they won’t immediately retweet or a crazy YouTube video that they don’t actually watch but since it has a crazy title they’ll share it and the irony of it all is completely lost on them. And I mean literally every single one of them.
1672882085823.jpeg

“QUESTION AUTHORITY!” i scream as I make the 146,863 “like” on a tweet with a low res .jpg of a Despicable Me Minion that’s “Just Asking Questions” about the Jews
Everything is going to be okay. Maybe go outside for a walk.

My wife works at a sports complex in NH.
They purchased an AED about six years ago. Ironically, one person has used it twice to bring someone back from cardiac arrest. Both times the person ended up being “fine” afterwards or in other words survived the incident.
Luck favors the prepared as they say. This lady made a very gracious donation!!

I forgot to add that Hughes was a wide receiver and caught his only pass of that game (a 32-yarder per profootballreference.com) before being leveled by **** Butkus. Hughes never got up after that.
I can't find anything about a Butkus hit on the play. Seems Butkus just happened to be the nearest guy when Hughes dropped down and started convulsing, at which point Butkus started signaling frantically towards the sidelines and the medical team rushed out.

Reading about it was rather chilling.

I can't find anything about a Butkus hit on the play. Seems Butkus just happened to be the nearest guy when Hughes dropped down and started convulsing, at which point Butkus started signaling frantically towards the sidelines and the medical team rushed out.

Reading about it was rather chilling.

I thought Butkus hit Hughes but it looks like my 51-year memory isn't serving me.

Here's an account:

Hughes ran a down-and-in, but Landry passed instead to tight end Charlie Sanders, who dropped the ball near the Chicago goal line. A collective groan went up in the stands. Most eyes were on Sanders when Hughes, returning to the huddle, suddenly clutched his chest and collapsed around the Bears’ 20-yard line.

Lying face down in the vicinity of deep left field, Hughes twitched uncontrollably on the soggy turf. **** Butkus stood over him. Some thought Hughes was faking an injury, or that Chicago’s bestial middle linebacker had finally killed someone on the field. But Butkus immediately saw something was wrong and frantically signaled to the sidelines. Trainers and doctors raced out. A physician charged down from the stands. As more than 54,000 people silently watched, doctors beat their fists on Chuck Hughes’ chest. The marbled sky hung low over the left-field stands. A cold drizzle fell. The stadium clock showed 62 seconds left in the game.

After what seemed forever, Hughes was placed on a stretcher and rushed by ambulance to Henry Ford Hospital. The game resumed, distracted players moving listlessly inside the hushed ballpark. A siren could be heard in the distance. Moments later the game was over and once-rambunctious fans filed out, talking in low tones. Mary and I sat inside an idling bus on Michigan Avenue, the goofily smiling Lions bobblehead in hand, listening to updates drift over the driver’s radio. Hughes was officially pronounced dead at 5:34 p.m. An autopsy revealed that he had died of acute coronary thrombosis, brought on by premature hardening of the arteries. Nature had given Hughes the heart of a 60-year-old man.

Although I was in my early teens when Hughes died, I had no recollection that an NFL player died during a game. Seems the NFL buried that. Compare to the NHL who honors the memory of Bill Masterson, the only NHL player to die from game injures, with the awarding of the Masterson trophy every year.

Here's some video with the radio play-by-play referencing first responders giving mouth-to-mouth.

• Sad
Reactions: Ian
literally every single person who uses the “NPC” meme is an insufferable conspiratorial piece of shi.t who never sees a dumb twitter meme they won’t immediately retweet or a crazy YouTube video that they don’t actually watch but since it has a crazy title they’ll share it and the irony of it all is completely lost on them. And I mean literally every single one of them.
Why are you so offended? Surely you're not an NPC.

I thought Butkus hit Hughes but it looks like my 51-year memory isn't serving me.

Here's an account:

Hughes ran a down-and-in, but Landry passed instead to tight end Charlie Sanders, who dropped the ball near the Chicago goal line. A collective groan went up in the stands. Most eyes were on Sanders when Hughes, returning to the huddle, suddenly clutched his chest and collapsed around the Bears’ 20-yard line.

Lying face down in the vicinity of deep left field, Hughes twitched uncontrollably on the soggy turf. **** Butkus stood over him. Some thought Hughes was faking an injury, or that Chicago’s bestial middle linebacker had finally killed someone on the field. But Butkus immediately saw something was wrong and frantically signaled to the sidelines. Trainers and doctors raced out. A physician charged down from the stands. As more than 54,000 people silently watched, doctors beat their fists on Chuck Hughes’ chest. The marbled sky hung low over the left-field stands. A cold drizzle fell. The stadium clock showed 62 seconds left in the game.

After what seemed forever, Hughes was placed on a stretcher and rushed by ambulance to Henry Ford Hospital. The game resumed, distracted players moving listlessly inside the hushed ballpark. A siren could be heard in the distance. Moments later the game was over and once-rambunctious fans filed out, talking in low tones. Mary and I sat inside an idling bus on Michigan Avenue, the goofily smiling Lions bobblehead in hand, listening to updates drift over the driver’s radio. Hughes was officially pronounced dead at 5:34 p.m. An autopsy revealed that he had died of acute coronary thrombosis, brought on by premature hardening of the arteries. Nature had given Hughes the heart of a 60-year-old man.
Very well written.

sadly, we have become a polarized society, the libs will die on the "don't question anything about Covid vaccines" hill.
If anyone does, they are a stupid right winger. Funny how the poster that mentioned increased heart conditions since Covid was met with posters who automatically assumed they were blaming vaccines.
They assumed. And they were right.

It's a pattern we've seen over and over and over.

Commotio cordis is a diagnosis of exclusion. You cannot prove it was the cause, you must exclude other cardiac disorders - and if that is unrevealing, you assume it was CC (with a history of a blow to the chest). To say it was caused by CC without a thorough cardiac evaluation is premature. It matters because if it is not CC, he will almost certainly require an implanted defibrillator. The question to be answered is if he has no heart disease, just an event triggered by a well-timed blow, why did he have a second cardiac arrest at the hospital?

Commotio cordis is a diagnosis of exclusion. You cannot prove it was the cause, you must exclude other cardiac disorders - and if that is unrevealing, you assume it was CC (with a history of a blow to the chest). To say it was caused by CC without a thorough cardiac evaluation is premature. It matters because if it is not CC, he will almost certainly require an implanted defibrillator. The question to be answered is if he has no heart disease, just an event triggered by a well-timed blow, why did he have a second cardiac arrest at the hospital?
The claim of a 2nd CA at the hospital was walked back by the family.

Its premature to definitively diagnose it, sure, but somethings cannot ruled out without an autopsy. No doctor has claimed for sure that it was CC but a good number of them have identified it as a possible cause because of the classic symptoms. I think they have a little more insight than most of us do. We will see.

Leave it to Bart Scott to be the idiot who farts in church. He blamed Tee Higgins for what happened.

Imagine being so desperate to make this worse by not only having the obvious damage inflicted upon Hamlin and have the guy fighting for his life, but to try and also add to the mental torture for Tee Higgins and blame him? Bart Scott is a ****head.

Imagine being so desperate to make this worse by not only having the obvious damage inflicted upon Hamlin and have the guy fighting for his life, but to try and also add to the mental torture for Tee Higgins and blame him? Bart Scott is a ****head.
No one will mistake Scott for a Mensa candidate anytime soon.

Hamlins father addressed the team according to Schefter informing them he’s making progress. This could go either way on Sunday, either the Bills are shook from what happened and lay an egg, or they come out inspired and kick the Pats asses, I’m betting it’s the latter.

Hamlins father addressed the team according to Schefter informing them he’s making progress. This could go either way on Sunday, either the Bills are shook from what happened and lay an egg, or they come out inspired and kick the Pats asses, I’m betting it’s the latter.
If the latter happens it was going to happen anyway regardless. I think our defense is good enough to prevent a repeat of last January’s embarrassment but I don’t think our offense will score enough to back them up.

It’s definitely going to be the latter. Plus, they’ll need the win assuming that game goes down as a 7-3 loss for them.

My brother has marfan's syndrome which often causes people to be taller than average. People who have it also often have heart conditions that might not be diagnosed unless you were looking specifically for something. A number of NBA players have had heart issues and that has at times been linked to marfans and I am sure it would follow with NFL players. Additionally drug use, both performance enhancing drugs as well as recreational drugs have been linked to heart issues.

In other words, there are a bunch of possible issues that don't somehow include Covid in them that could have helped lead to this happening. Trying to bring covid into the discussion is silly at this point, and reeks of political discussion rather than medical fact.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back