PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damar Hamlin Updates

Sure it wasn’t good. But it does not necessarily he won’t have good neurological function. He had prolonged CPR, likely shocked several times on the field. Fact is, some CPR is more effective than in other cases, for various reasons - some related to the provider, some to the patient. But sedated or not, doctors at 24-36 hours have a fair idea of whether the neurological recovery is likely to be shorter or longer.
So they probably already have a decent idea. That's probably what the league is waiting for. Praying for the best outcome.

We don't know yet know what happened.

Increased myocarditis in young males is certainly a present problem and has been implicated in a significant rise in young male athlete deaths in multiple sports worldwide and is most likely COVID related. It's hardly nonsense.

Denying that myocarditis might have been a factor is premature, and could also increase the risk of CC -- which is otherwise a fluke in football with all the padding and the absence of small high speed projectiles like hockey pucks and baseballs. It's likely either a fluke or there is some other causation involved.

Vociferous suppression like yours by the medical community of reasonable inquiry into the COVID-related myocarditis phenomenon is fueling a rise in distrust in the general public. Censorship leads to distrust and wonder about underlying motives.

shouldn't you be off polishing Elon's nuts at this point?

shouldn't you be off polishing Elon's nuts at this point?

It's always foolish to tell someone what their thinking. I'm no fan of Musk. But you just made it obvious that your medical advice is infected with your politics.

The Mrs. is a former EMT and ER medic - not a doc, as she would be happy to point out, or for that matter a nurse. That said, well, prayers are in order... more than anything else, prayers that they got his heart beating fairly early in the process (it was said they rescussitated him once on the field, and once after he was taken off).

The simple way to put it is that everything right now is speculation, but speculating oxygen starvation for longer is way worse. Pray he lives. Pray he gets back to being the person he used to be even if he cannot be the player he used to be. Prayers for his athletic recovery are tertiary, but of course pray for that too.

Naturally, he deserves to get it all back. But nature and fate are cruel. Through no fault of his own or Tee Higgins or anybody else, he might get none of it. There's not even a Jack Tatum to point to. I am so, so sorry for him and his for possibilities other than a full recovery, and here's praying CPR was close to immediately effective, whether or not it resulted in consciousness returning.

I don't know whether I am missing a definitional nuance having to do with brainwaves, but I think we have to admit to ourselves that at least by the old definition, the guy died. His family says they believe in prayer, so pray they get him back like they remember him.

Okay sorry to get emotional. Time was when I would just say "In America, Tee spills you." I know, too soon.

Leave it to Bart Scott to be the idiot who farts in church. He blamed Tee Higgins for what happened.

Thank you for following my inexusable but irresistable bad joke to the same effect, with something exponentially worse, an actual accusation. Bart, Bart, Bart. Is there anything you won't say.

Reactions: Ian
We don't know yet know what happened.
Again, the doctors are likely reviewing test results and looking at everything. However, we won't know unless they tell us, so there's no point in speculating beyond what medical experts have said.

I don't have a medical degree, and the ones here who do have already provided some limited insight for those of us obviously who are concerned about him. But I'd prefer to continue to limit the discourse in this thread and leave it for actual updates on his condition.

Thank you for following my inexusable but irresistable bad joke to the same effect, with something exponentially worse, an actual accusation. Bart, Bart, Bart. Is there anything you won't say.
This photo: shoulder right into his chest:

damar-hamlin-044.jpg

Obviously not his fault, and it's just crazy how something so seemingly innocuous turned into what it is. :(

Last edited:
Bart Scott has always been a dumb****. He's getting trashed by current/former players for his latest stupidity.

The particular diagnosis being so hastily advanced, commotio cordis, in sports is usually a baseball or hockey injury among younger players and is very rare in American Football.

And of course it's a good thing we're not allowed to talk about myocarditis.

It was almost certainly commotio cordis. Whether or not Covid contributed in some way is certainly possible, I would think, given the cardiac conduction system disease it can cause.

I don't know why you and other posts I've seen are so hung up on overly precise age ranges and exact mechanisms of injury. It was high impact blunt force. Why do you seem to think you know the threshold force required for CC? You can crudely depolarize the heart just with a precordial thump. In part, CC is thought to be rare from requiring force at a specific point in the cardiac cycle, but I'm pretty sure even if you replicated the conditions of Pronger's injury, not everyone would go into Vfib. Or if they did, it would be transient.

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo: shoulder right into his chest:

damar-hamlin-044.jpg

Obviously not his fault, and it's just crazy how something so seemingly innocuous turned into what it is. :(

How many times has that happened before? How many players have died?

Compared to:

How many football players have suffered permanent impairment from traumatic brain injuries?

We all tend to overreact to novelty and are really, really bad at assessing risk intuitively.

How many times has that happened before? How many players have died?

Compared to:

How many football players have suffered permanent impairment from traumatic brain injuries?
There have been players where it's happened, albeit it's been decades since it has. Unfortunately, statistics-wise, the odds increase to a negative outcome the more time passes, and the possibility is never 0%. I'm just glad Monday night, wasn't it.

I'm more worried about his brain function. Given the fact they worked on him for that long, that's obviously troublesome and most reports seem to be positive on his vital signs, but none have really mentioned anything on that end yet.

I'm just hoping he can live a somewhat normal life even if he's no longer a professional athlete. He's so young, so that's really the most important thing at this point.

Certainly a worry, but it looks like high quality CPR (strength, frequency of compressions) was performed almost as soon as Hamlin needed it, with restoration of pulse relatively quickly.

It's all rare, but one encouraging comparison would be Fabrice Muamba. He had CPR performed for 78 minutes when he collapsed and 15 shocks from an AED. He of course retired, but the 10 year anniversary came up and he gave an interview last year where he seemed normal.

At this point I'm a little worried he has ARDS given they flipped him prone. I've since heard some facilities are more liberal with the usage of intermittent prone positioning as prophylaxis.

People are not paying attention. There is a reason that a pfizer executive testified under oath in the UK and the MSM seem rather eager and most definitely happy to whistle past the graveyard on this. What is even more disturbing is what many doctors say is the cause. The ironic part is it was mostly undertakers that first started sounding the alarm. They were having a hard time embalming certain individuals, so they would dissect them for a lack of a better term, looking for the blockage in the system, which is rare even in a normal blood clot scenario. They started finding blood clots, but these were not the normal squishy, roundish blood clots, they were long rubbery and stringy looking.

They raised the issue to doctors (around the world as this was/is happening). All the victims they found with the stringy bloodclots were 40 or under, had no known health issues at the time of death and all had been vaccinated. The CDC just released data and the increase in heart related deaths in young, healthy people is exponentially higher over the past two years.

People laughing at this, such as the person laughing at your post, and those that automatically dismiss this as a possible cause have their head buried in the sand. As such has been everything throughout Covid, if you don't drink the kool-aid and follow the groupthink you are an anti-xxx, conspiracy theorist etc...and so far groupthink is batting 1000% at being wrong.

This has been known as a complication of Covid since the beginning, and occurred in patients before the vaccine was even available.

Being vented for this long is likely going to inflict irreparable lung damage. For a normal life it likely won’t be that impactful, but for an elite pro athlete? No way.
please stop with this medical misinformation.

I know for a fact that you are wrong.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back