PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Covid thread for the other 31 teams

Originally I thought the same thing, but seeing the incredibly low number of positives with no hospitalizations has me thinking otherwise. In a game where players practically drool on each other, it doesn't seem to be spreading all that much.
Even if it was spreading - there are :
(1) the 32
(2) TV deals
(3) players who spend recklessly
(4) short player shelf-life /ops
(5) fans who accept that football isn't a sport that leads to longevity at the best of times

How can we talk about the virus without it being considered political? I responded to a virus comment the other day in another thread and one poster had a hissy fit.
Science, history, sociology, comparative religion...most of the world of human knowledge is now considered political. The Founders lamented about this dynamic, so its been with us since the birth of the nation. The anonymity of the internets escalates it. Epidemiology is right in the strike zone. The irony is that talking science isn't political, but labeling it as political is the initiating political act in a conversation.

This season isn't going to finish is it? The only reason everything isn't already shut down is that the NFL is in denial that they have this under control. This is going to get worse before it gets better.
That’s how a contagion works. Why does this country have a knee jerk reaction to cancel anything that scares them or that they disagree with? Every race, religion, creed, political preference, and sexual orientation does it. Where did this attitude come from?

Even if it was spreading - there are :
(1) the 32
(2) TV deals
(3) players who spend recklessly
(4) short player shelf-life /ops
(5) fans who accept that football isn't a sport that leads to longevity at the best of times

I remember having an online discussion about the TV deals many years ago. The idea then was that because the TV money was getting higher by the year that someday games could be played without fans in the stands and they would still make profits. We've reached that point.

One other thing that contributes to less on-site fan involvement is how fantasy football isn't considered gambling, which enables the 32 to pull profits in as they make rules that encourage that form of gambling.

now the colts have multiple positive tests. NFL needs to do something even if its just to institute a "localized" bubble where teams stay in hotels near the stadium.

The plan cant be to just postpone and shuffle around games every time there is a test or we will never finish this season.

now the colts have multiple positive tests. NFL needs to do something even if its just to institute a "localized" bubble where teams stay in hotels near the stadium.

The plan cant be to just postpone and shuffle around games every time there is a test or we will never finish this season.
They have no plan at this point. This was their plan. Just reschedule games and hope that the wheels don't fall off but if you get multiple teams with multiple outbreaks in the same week things are going to start to snowball and they will be in trouble.

I think their plan is to get in as many games as possible and finish the season as early as possible. If teams miss games they'll award the playoff spots to the teams with the best winning % no matter how many games are played. If the NYFL had no problem giving a playoff spot to a 7-8-1 team over a 10-6 team or an 8-8 team over an 11-5 team, then they won't have any problem giving a playoff spot to a 10-4 team over a 10-5 team.

They have no plan at this point. This was their plan. Just reschedule games and hope that the wheels don't fall off but if you get multiple teams with multiple outbreaks in the same week things are going to start to snowball and they will be in trouble.
Can we define the word outbreak? It seems to have different meanings.

I assume more than one person gets it within a week but that is just me I guess.

I assume more than one person gets it within a week but that is just me I guess.
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has different takes on it. If I were a player who needed to play for my income I'd feel differently than a player who has already made a fortune.

I don’t know, but I’m a big fan of the new buzzword - “super spreader event.” I thought they were referring to a party at a gay bathhouse at first.

So... Do we know if any of these players are actually feeling "sick"? Seriously, across the league is anyone going to the hospital, getting a vent, going to the ICU? Or, are all these players completely asymptomatic? I wish some intrepid member of the media ask this very simple and important question.

also, I'm old enough to remember when opening the gyms in MA on July 6 was going to cause a hospital surge and widespread pestilence

So... Do we know if any of these players are actually feeling "sick"? Seriously, across the league is anyone going to the hospital, getting a vent, going to the ICU? Or, are all these players completely asymptomatic? I wish some intrepid member of the media ask this very simple and important question.

also, I'm old enough to remember when opening the gyms in MA on July 6 was going to cause a hospital surge and widespread pestilence
Most of them aren’t even exhibiting symptoms. My college team, the Gators, has to postpone their game with LSU this weekend because players got on the plane to College Station with what they thought were allergies, and ended up being Covid.

That’s how a contagion works. Why does this country have a knee jerk reaction to cancel anything that scares them or that they disagree with? Every race, religion, creed, political preference, and sexual orientation does it. Where did this attitude come from?
the left

yup that is the key question.....some are still acting like getting Covid is a death sentence..99.7% survive. Then there is the camp that players are afraid of bringing Covid home to their young kids..who don't easily get it and if they do, most show no symptoms. So sick of the hysteria..

Most of them aren’t even exhibiting symptoms. My college team, the Gators, has to postpone their game with LSU this weekend because players got on the plane to College Station with what they thought were allergies, and ended up being Covid.
The timing with that and Mullen calling for the Swamp to be packed was wonderful.

What the hell kind of crappy tests does the NFL use? I know nothing about this stuff but are false positives really this frequent?
32 teams tested every day, all players, all coaches, all staff, I would guess that's 4,000+ tests a day. 1% false positives would then be 40/day. You would rather have false positives than false negatives, so the thresholds are set really low. I think that is what you will get when testing that often with that many people.

When false positives cluster on one team, though, it seems like there must also be some errors going on.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back