PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Central Thread For Mourning/Canonizing Jimmy Garoppolo

Tim Hasselbeck on JG:

Link:Tim Hasselbeck on K&C expresses doubt about Jimmy Garoppolo

He is bang on the money regarding the compensation the Patriots got for him. There was NO first rounder to be had and there is a good reason for that. I mean.. Drew Bledsoe who has a far superior NFL track record to JG only got a conditional first back for the Pats. Why would a guy like JG - with 6 quarters of meaningful NFL experience who was unable to finish the 4 games he was asked to do- get more?

The reason there as not more compensation are obvious and have nothing to do with what Hasselbeck is saying.

The most impactful reason of them all is that there was no competition for him. There is a reason why Cousins might end up with the biggest QB contract this offseason even though JG and Rodgers will get theirs. Once you get multiple parties into a bidding war things go off the rails more often than not.

The other reason is because the Pats had zero leverage and everyone in the league knew it. They couldn't tag him in the offseason because that would have thrown a big wrench into any potential roster building they could have done. Which means that everyone knew that JG was available in the offseason.

None of this crap that Hasselbeck mentioned really mattered.

Is this real? What the hell?

If Thomase’s opinion is that Kraft wouldn’t want to part with Brady under any circumstances (which is reasonable), then why doesn’t he simply point to other factors, such as consistently winning, still playing at an MVP level, securing HFA, etc?

What the hell does deflategate have to do with anything? I’ve somehow just managed to lose more respect for someone who I had very little for to begin with. Where does this guy come up with these ideas?
Spinners gonna spin...

More mediots than stories, and plenty of idiots out there willing to read people like Tomassi, so..

maxresdefault.jpg

49ERS Bandwagon heading into next season

A-
67.0 %
1542 yards
6 TD
5 INT
93.9 QB Rating

B-
66.4 %
1093 yards
9 TD
2 INT
98.4 QB Rating

A is Garoppolo's 5 games in SF

B is Colin Kapernick's last 5 games in 2016

A-
67.0 %
1542 yards
6 TD
5 INT
93.9 QB Rating

B-
66.4 %
1093 yards
9 TD
2 INT
98.4 QB Rating

Good stat but jimmy's a much better thrower than kap. Let's see how jimmy G does in a full season with the 49ers. He will get paid. They will have cap space.

A-
67.0 %
1542 yards
6 TD
5 INT
93.9 QB Rating

B-
66.4 %
1093 yards
9 TD
2 INT
98.4 QB Rating

What is you point? Jimmy has 7 tds.

Please don't say Kap is just as good as Jimmy. Did you factor in sacks and yards per game & attempt?

with garoppolo: 5-0 and 28ppg......no training camp btw
with kaepernick: 1-4 and 19ppg

there's really no comparison except to a brady dingleberry

Let's see jimmy lead them to the playoffs next season. The pieces are in place.

The Boston media has an insatiable appetite in making up stories - they then repeat these stories amongst themselves so much that that they start becoming "facts" vs just speculation.

"BB wants to prove he can win without Brady (would love to hear the audio of that interview)
BB never wanted to trade JG but Kraft made him do it
Cleveland offered multiple picks including first rounders for JG
Brady went to BB and Kraft and forced them to trade JG because he was mad about the treatment of Alex Guererro" ........... and on and on and on

Maybe just maybe the team looked at this QB they had named Brady and assessed that he is actually pretty good. That he actually does want to play until he is 45 like he has stated time and time again and that with his incredible work ethic, diet and QB playing style they think that there is a strong possibility that he can not only do it but excel during that time frame?

I do not doubt that trading JG was hard to do. From everything we have seen or heard he appears to be a great leader and teammate. Early indications are that he should become a top 10 QB in the league. (Will be interesting to see if his early play translates into playoff and Super Bowl victories. ) Am sure they hoped and tried to get more for him but a combination of bad timing and wanting to move him out of conference resulted in what appeared to be a top 35 pick.

Everyone knows that this could backfire. JG could become Steve Young and Brady could be gone in a year. I personally doubt it happens but it is plausible.

The only thing we know for sure is that the Boston media will absolutely beat this story to death. (and most will actually hope it does come back to bite the Pats)

A-
67.0 %
1542 yards
6 TD
5 INT
93.9 QB Rating

B-
66.4 %
1093 yards
9 TD
2 INT
98.4 QB Rating

put up brady's most recent 5 games in NE

lol

The Boston media has an insatiable appetite in making up stories - they then repeat these stories amongst themselves so much that that they start becoming "facts" vs just speculation.

"BB wants to prove he can win without Brady (would love to hear the audio of that interview)
BB never wanted to trade JG but Kraft made him do it
Cleveland offered multiple picks including first rounders for JG
Brady went to BB and Kraft and forced them to trade JG because he was mad about the treatment of Alex Guererro" ........... and on and on and on

Maybe just maybe the team looked at this QB they had named Brady and assessed that he is actually pretty good. That he actually does want to play until he is 45 like he has stated time and time again and that with his incredible work ethic, diet and QB playing style they think that there is a strong possibility that he can not only do it but excel during that time frame?

I do not doubt that trading JG was hard to do. From everything we have seen or heard he appears to be a great leader and teammate. Early indications are that he should become a top 10 QB in the league. (Will be interesting to see if his early play translates into playoff and Super Bowl victories. ) Am sure they hoped and tried to get more for him but a combination of bad timing and wanting to move him out of conference resulted in what appeared to be a top 35 pick.

Everyone knows that this could backfire. JG could become Steve Young and Brady could be gone in a year. I personally doubt it happens but it is plausible.

The only thing we know for sure is that the Boston media will absolutely beat this story to death. (and most will actually hope it does come back to bite the Pats)
Thats what is brutal about this.

If he's good, we are gonna here about Jimmy-Fing-G for the next 10 years.

By then my youngest will have graduated from college

Thats what is brutal about this.

If he's good, we are gonna here about Jimmy-Fing-G for the next 10 years.

By then my youngest will have graduated from college
if he ends up being a top 5, elite QB for the next decade

then we deserve to hear about it for the next 10 years

just one cutie's opinion

just one cutie's opinion
If NE wins 1-2 more SBs , win 11+ games a year and Tom is a Top 10 QB for another 3 years and/or Brady 2.0 is drafted and performing ,the Garrapolites dont have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

just one cutie's opinion

Season’s over and Garrapolo is a 49er, from here on out I would think the moderators will move Garrapolo threads to the NFL forum. Have fun discussing him there.

Just looking, dispassionately, no "eye tests", at Brady's career stats and I'm trying to understand the argument that, for the 2017 season as a whole, Tom Brady is clearly sliding.

I'm not being some raving fanboy. I am being analytical. Show me facts that point in another direction, if they exist, Rhody & CutiePie

Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Tom Brady has played 16 seasons as a starter

This was his 4th best season in passing yards
This was his 6th best season in yards per game
This was his 5th best season in passer rating
This was tied for his 4th best season in interception percentage
This was his 6th best season in passing touchdowns
This was tied for his 3rd best season in yards per attempt
This was tied for his 8th best season in TD percentage

I can't find any category, other than number of times sacked, where he was below his career average.

2017 was not his best year, clearly. It was, however, closer to the top than to the bottom, in the career of the greatest of all time. It wasn't as good as 2016, was equal to 2015, and better than the three years immediately before that, including 2014, a championship year

And yes, 2017 was an MVP year

I am willing to look at any facts indicating something different. I am not looking for eye test analyses of Chicken Littles, though

Exactly. Aside from when he was hurt, he didn't show any signs of a drop off in skills, didn't make any stupid throws and isn't showing any sign of slowing down. They reached the end with Garoppolo and as I've said before, it was just bad timing. Sure, they could have franchised him, but to what end? Moving a proven commodity in lieu of the unknown is just a move that wouldn't have made any sense. 4-5 more years as a Super Bowl contender is worth more than just being competitive - although we obviously don't know what Jimmy G's ceiling is.

Maybe he can be a winner, we don't know. Either way, Brady is still here and playing at a championship level. They'll start over and hopefully, they'll have time to develop another player. But while I wish Garoppolo the best, it's hard not to take our chances with the guy who has yet to give anyone any reasons to feel like he can't keep doing it.

Exactly. Aside from when he was hurt, he didn't show any signs of a drop off in skills, didn't make any stupid throws and isn't showing any sign of slowing down. They reached the end with Garoppolo and as I've said before, it was just bad timing. Sure, they could have franchised him, but to what end? Moving a proven commodity in lieu of the unknown is just a move that wouldn't have made any sense. 4-5 more years as a Super Bowl contender is worth more than just being competitive - although we obviously don't know what Jimmy G's ceiling is.

Maybe he can be a winner, we don't know. Either way, Brady is still here and playing at a championship level. They'll start over and hopefully, they'll have time to develop another player. But while I wish Garoppolo the best, it's hard not to take our chances with the guy who has yet to give anyone any reasons to feel like he can't keep doing it.

Sorry, but Max Kellerman just told me that Brady is ordinary. The debate is clearly over now.

;)

If they had traded Brady and kept JG, the big national story would be that they made a mistake, how can you trade a legend, JG isn't for real only 6 qtrs etc.

They always find a way.

Whiners are going to whine regardless of the situation.

If they did that...we would most likely be talking about the draft right now.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back