PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G over 380 yards today (week 15)

The real issue beyond money is that JG is a starter, an exceptional one at that, which everyone on the Pats knew, and the only solution for him was to start somewhere at least by the opening day next season.

The real issue is that you're posting nonsense, and the solution is that you should stop doing so.

I'm the biggest Brady supporter of all time, but by not agreeing to a graceful exit after 17 seasons, he now has a debt to continue playing at this level for another 3-4 years. If it's anything less, he screwed us, plain and simple.

"Biggest Brady supporter of all time."
jester.gif

Raw, unprocessed sewage, my friend.
icon_lol.gif

How did Brady trade his backup?
He forced him out by not retiring at the end of this season, that's how. That's the root cause of Jimmy G being traded/leaving. If TB had announced his retirement effective next February, JG would be our QB next year. Pretty indisputable cause and effect. Jimmy was too good to sit another season, no matter what $$ the Pats might have been able to offer him. The team couldn't solve this, only Brady could have.

Tom's too good to retire right now, that's the rub. He's still intensely into it, you'd expect a 17 year vet in his 40's to start to lose that drive. God bless him. But the way this all played out raises the ante for him, that's my only point. As JG ascends to the top tier of QB's, which he absolutely will, Tom's decision will be scrutinized. He now can't retire after next season, for example, or he'll be crucified.

He's brought a lot of pressure on himself that he didn't have to. We now need him to play at least 3 more great seasons while the team prepares a different succession plan.

As JG ascends to the top tier of QB's, which he absolutely will, Tom's decision will be scrutinized. He now can't retire after next season, for example, or he'll be crucified.

He's brought a lot of pressure on himself that he didn't have to. We now need him to play at least 3 more great seasons while the team prepares a different succession plan.

Just how much have you been drinking?

The real issue beyond money is that JG is a starter, an exceptional one at that, which everyone on the Pats knew, and the only solution for him was to start somewhere at least by the opening day next season.

No. The only issue was money. If there was no salary cap they would just franchise JG every year until Brady retires.

He forced him out by not retiring at the end of this season, that's how. That's the root cause of Jimmy G being traded/leaving. If TB had announced his retirement effective next February, JG would be our QB next year. Pretty indisputable cause and effect. Jimmy was too good to sit another season, no matter what $$ the Pats might have been able to offer him. The team couldn't solve this, only Brady could have.

Tom's too good to retire right now, that's the rub. He's still intensely into it, you'd expect a 17 year vet in his 40's to start to lose that drive. God bless him. But the way this all played out raises the ante for him, that's my only point. As JG ascends to the top tier of QB's, which he absolutely will, Tom's decision will be scrutinized. He now can't retire after next season, for example, or he'll be crucified.

You are the biggest Brady fan ever? You sound like a 8 year old. I am embarrassed that you are a fan of this team and Tom Brady would be too.

Go back to Pinkhats.com and post there where you belong.

Thanks for explaining what you meant.

I don't think you want a QB unwilling to out-compete his backup. Shockingly, we see QBs around the league who are unable to do so all the time. We're spoiled as Pats fans, as we've had the greatest ride of any fan base for 16 years now, both at QB and for the team as a whole.

In the off-season, before all the dust had settled, I drew some fire for saying hey, if BB and co. look at the upsides vs. downsides and come to the conclusion that you have to do a "Montana to KC" move, life goes on, and I'm the biggest JG fan in the world.

I'm a Patriots fan, not a Brady fan (okay, but yes I'm a Brady fan too... how can you NOT be??? Never mind, don't answer that.)

Point is, the guys who make these calls better than anybody in the league, made their call. If Brady, God forbid, has a setback this week that begins the long (or short) march out the door, so be it.

You look at the facts in front of you and the risks in front of you and you make the call. The Pats make those calls better than any other team in the league.

As a Pats fan, everybody can have their own opinion on the front office's decisions.

What you can't do is have your own facts - and the objective fact is that this front office, including/led by BB in terms of personnel, has handled football operations masterfully taking the whole body of work together.

For 16 years, EVERY year, they've had a realistic shot at a Lombardi trophy. And yes, I'm including that 11-5 Cassel year, although it didn't look like it if you're just a Brady fan, not a Patriots fan. Well, almost every year. I think the 2002 let-down year, we were a barely above average team.

What does that performance record tell you about decision-making in New England?

You could say "luck," but I don't think so. They make moves, the moves tend to pan out. They see weaknesses, weigh them, see which can and cannot be masked. And it doesn't hurt to have the GOAT QB.

But part of the reason TFB is the GOAT is he gets his role. I'm not saying "system QB," I'm saying the culture and the system are both cause and effect in relation to TFB. He also realizes that as he aged he'd have a target on his back, nature of the beast. He saw that as another fight he had to win, another "I'll show them" moment like he KEEPS running into, no matter how he dominates his sport.

I don't post on here about "loyalty." I have ONE football "loyalty," and that's to the Patriots. But Brady completely understands that there's no reward for past performance. He's consistently demonstrated that he's not trying to pad his ego with a contract number or a purposeful pursuit of any given stat. The one year we went stat-crazy, 2007, he set the then-touchdown record. The Pats set the record for regular season games won. Record record record. Blah. I can count on the fingers of one hand - or rather, Tom Brady can - the stats that matter. Championships won. And it appears to bug him that it's only ONE hand. You can't buy that.

JG is promising, but you can't have it both ways. I saw somebody say maybe JG will come back to us one day when we need him. Feh. Maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt too. I mean, there's a connection there, I don't think any bridges are burned, and several players have boomeranged... but I don't think you want to hang your hat on that.

It's Tom Brady until Tom Brady's not the best option. Sorry about the timing, sport, but that day is not today.

I remember in 2007 thinking... We can only really *count* on maybe 5 more years of championship opportunities... maybe more, but the guys who are talking about 10 more years are nuts.

Same thing now. Maybe his ceiling's age 41, maybe it's 45. But he's at the top of his game. They made the calculation in the bowels of Foxborough that the promising prospect doesn't get the gig in the foreseeable future because of age alone.

It's been the Brady-Belichick era. You, my friend, have decided that Belichick doesn't know what he's doing, and Brady's just another aging quarterback.

My experience on both of the above statements is that they are incorrect.

Clearly, like a broken clock, you'll eventually be right. Then you can go to a bar in 2020 or 2023 or whatevah and tell everybody "I CALLED IT!"

Okay, champ. You're wicked smaht. I'm just that basic. Pats seem to get the calls right, by and large. They've definitely earned a little trust from me when it comes to risk assessment, and that's what the personnel decision is, all talk of loyalty aside.

PS - am I the only one who's tickled that the Pats sealed off the oft-mentioned escape route to San Francisco? Yes, that put Brady a little more on the proverbial hook. Love it.

I don't think you want a QB unwilling to out-compete his backup. Shockingly, we see QBs around the league who are unable to do so all the time. We're spoiled as Pats fans, as we've had the greatest ride of any fan base for 16 years now, both at QB and for the team as a whole.

In the off-season, before all the dust had settled, I drew some fire for saying hey, if BB and co. look at the upsides vs. downsides and come to the conclusion that you have to do a "Montana to KC" move, life goes on, and I'm the biggest JG fan in the world.

I'm a Patriots fan, not a Brady fan (okay, but yes I'm a Brady fan too... how can you NOT be??? Never mind, don't answer that.)

Point is, the guys who make these calls better than anybody in the league, made their call. If Brady, God forbid, has a setback this week that begins the long (or short) march out the door, so be it.

You look at the facts in front of you and the risks in front of you and you make the call. The Pats make those calls better than any other team in the league.

As a Pats fan, everybody can have their own opinion on the front office's decisions.

What you can't do is have your own facts - and the objective fact is that this front office, including/led by BB in terms of personnel, has handled football operations masterfully taking the whole body of work together.

For 16 years, EVERY year, they've had a realistic shot at a Lombardi trophy. And yes, I'm including that 11-5 Cassel year, although it didn't look like it if you're just a Brady fan, not a Patriots fan. Well, almost every year. I think the 2002 let-down year, we were a barely above average team.

What does that performance record tell you about decision-making in New England?

You could say "luck," but I don't think so. They make moves, the moves tend to pan out. They see weaknesses, weigh them, see which can and cannot be masked. And it doesn't hurt to have the GOAT QB.

But part of the reason TFB is the GOAT is he gets his role. I'm not saying "system QB," I'm saying the culture and the system are both cause and effect in relation to TFB. He also realizes that as he aged he'd have a target on his back, nature of the beast. He saw that as another fight he had to win, another "I'll show them" moment like he KEEPS running into, no matter how he dominates his sport.

I don't post on here about "loyalty." I have ONE football "loyalty," and that's to the Patriots. But Brady completely understands that there's no reward for past performance. He's consistently demonstrated that he's not trying to pad his ego with a contract number or a purposeful pursuit of any given stat. The one year we went stat-crazy, 2007, he set the then-touchdown record. The Pats set the record for regular season games won. Record record record. Blah. I can count on the fingers of one hand - or rather, Tom Brady can - the stats that matter. Championships won. And it appears to bug him that it's only ONE hand. You can't buy that.

JG is promising, but you can't have it both ways. I saw somebody say maybe JG will come back to us one day when we need him. Feh. Maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt too. I mean, there's a connection there, I don't think any bridges are burned, and several players have boomeranged... but I don't think you want to hang your hat on that.

It's Tom Brady until Tom Brady's not the best option. Sorry about the timing, sport, but that day is not today.

I remember in 2007 thinking... We can only really *count* on maybe 5 more years of championship opportunities... maybe more, but the guys who are talking about 10 more years are nuts.

Same thing now. Maybe his ceiling's age 41, maybe it's 45. But he's at the top of his game. They made the calculation in the bowels of Foxborough that the promising prospect doesn't get the gig in the foreseeable future because of age alone.

It's been the Brady-Belichick era. You, my friend, have decided that Belichick doesn't know what he's doing, and Brady's just another aging quarterback.

My experience on both of the above statements is that they are incorrect.

Clearly, like a broken clock, you'll eventually be right. Then you can go to a bar in 2020 or 2023 or whatevah and tell everybody "I CALLED IT!"

Okay, champ. You're wicked smaht. I'm just that basic. Pats seem to get the calls right, by and large. They've definitely earned a little trust from me when it comes to risk assessment, and that's what the personnel decision is, all talk of loyalty aside.

PS - am I the only one who's tickled that the Pats sealed off the oft-mentioned escape route to San Francisco? Yes, that put Brady a little more on the proverbial hook. Love it.
I don't think @40yrpatsfan thinks Belichick doesn't know what he's doing, and I think clumsy wording has made his posts draw more fire than they should.

I think his point is really just that now that JG's gone and looking terrific, there is an even greater hope Brady can go 5 more years or whatever.

I understand your last point in SF but not sure it makes sense...if the Pats keep Brady he's not leaving so no need to block him.

Not to derail this fascinating, well-thought out conversation over the past few pages of the thread, but just thought I'd relay this story from yesterday, seems an appropriate enough thread to do so.

I live near Oakland. Yesterday my wife and I skipped work and went to see Star Wars in San Francisco at a movie theater that serves beer, then we had another couple drinks after the movie, and then went to the mall, a little tipsy, at 4pm. We were trying to buy a Jimmy G shirt for our 49ers fan nephew for Christmas, so we went to the 49ers store. Following is my interaction with the two employees (both young women, also we were the only customers in the store).

Employee: Can I help you?

Me: Do you guys have any Jimmy G T-shirts?

Employee: No we are all sold out. Except we might still have some women's shirts.

Me: No youth T-shirts?

Employee: No sorry.

Me: I guess they're pretty popular now huh

Employee: Yeah they've been flying off the shelves.

Me: Well do you have any TOM BRADY Jerseys?? [note: the entire store is 49ers stuff, there's obviously not any Brady gear]

Employee: Haha no we definitely don't have any of those

Me: Well I'm a little surprised you don't have anything, he is the greatest quarterback of all time

Employee: [laughs nervously] no...no we don't have anything

Me: I mean, you have plenty of the second best quarterback ever [points at Joe Montana Jersey], I would think you'd want the best too.

Employee: [Looks at me like she is considering calling security]

Me: Ok well thanks anyway.

[We leave]

<SCENE>

Background noise is on the NFL Network. Doing a show on Jimmy and someone in the (local I assume) broadcast referred to him as Jimmy GQ!

Let's see what jimmy does against that jags defense.

I don't think @40yrpatsfan thinks Belichick doesn't know what he's doing, and I think clumsy wording has made his posts draw more fire than they should.

I think his point is really just that now that JG's gone and looking terrific, there is an even greater hope Brady can go 5 more years or whatever.

I understand your last point in SF but not sure it makes sense...if the Pats keep Brady he's not leaving so no need to block him.

So, maybe there was some piling on there. Good luck to Jimmy in SF, once again!

Last point (which you're not sure makes sense) is that if the day comes when NE thinks he sucks, but he doesn't think he sucks, TFB would need to prove NE wrong somewhere other than "home" in SF.

Although it's been a long time since SF has been home for TFB... I wonder what happens to your fanhood as a player? It's not like you're sitting around with part of your attention on "I hope SF wins the Super Bowl this year."

Anyway, there's been this narrative around, "oh no oh no he's old, they could do him a favor and send him to SF where he'd really love to return."

Well if there was any real attraction to that prospect, now it's a matter of Brady playing at what both parties agree is a high level... then if the two parties one day disagree... the silver lining is likely gone. If he wants to retire a Patriot, we'll all rejoice. If he wants to go to the next version of KC, he can do that. But if there was ever some romantic "easing out" via the hometown, that ain't gonna happen.

Jimmy G served his apprenticeship well here, wish him much luck and fame in SF... he will level off, but he looks like the real deal.

There will be those who say we could have gotten more for him, to them I ask what evidence(can I say that now??) has been offered on the contrary?.. a few rumors, but not much corroboration.

One thing we could not have had on this team is 40 Million cap dollars tied up in two players..

There will be those who say we could have gotten more for him, to them I ask what evidence(can I say that now??) has been offered on the contrary?.. a few rumors, but not much corroboration.

It's pretty rare for GMs to publicly announce trade offers. Safe to say they would have gotten more in the offseason.

Jimmy G served his apprenticeship well here, wish him much luck and fame in SF... he will level off, but he looks like the real deal.

One thing we could not have had on this team is 40 Million cap dollars tied up in two players..

"Let's keep Drew AND Tom!"

If SF really was kicking the tires on Brady - I wonder what they would have been willing to send our way in such a deal. I bet it’s a lot closer to the “2 first rounders” that people were hyping up JG to be worth...

Bledsoe only got us a conditional first and unlike JG he had a legit NFL track record plus a lot more talent. No reason to think JG was worth anything more than what we got.

Last note on this and I'll keep it brief.

I wouldn't want a healthy TFB to say "Okay I'm done, I have to run for office now" or something next year. But the above post saying he'd be vilified for it is a little much. I'd have a "grrrr" reaction for a minute, then I'd be "on to ______" (Your quarterback prospect here.) Anybody who turns against a 17-year body of work because the guy retires inconveniently is being a little short-sighted.

However, I have to say, at least that shows a glimmering of team fanhood, rather than Brady fanhood, and that's something I fear might be in shorter supply than we all think. Wonder what happens to the traffic here come the Brady end-times. It'll bounce back when Brian Freakin Hoyer or whoever gets us to a playoff game :)

ok work time

Two of those three sentences are pretty spot on but that RG3 thing is silly.

JG is a vintage pocket passer that can do all throws while RG3 was running a college-level gimmick offense and never showed anything that would convince you that he could be a pocket passer. With more gametape out teams will most certainly find some weak spots in his game so I would take his success so far with a grain of salt but comparing him to RG3 is asinine.

I am not comparing the players. Jimmy IMO is gonna have a solid NFL career, but at the moment nothing indicates that Bill was wrong.
He went against poor competition and was just solid IMO. Yeah 380 yards is great, but his performance against Chicago was ok at best, solid against Houston (remember what Bortles did) and good against a weak Titans.
RG3 had 20 TD/4 INT, 65.6% and 102 rating, all better numbers than Jimmy. The schedule was untill now very generous with him.

Reactions: sb1

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back