PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics trade Isaiah Thomas, Brooklyn 2018 pick & players for Kyrie Irving

Worrying about how it feels to add a future second rounder to this, or whether this was "a shake down", is a loser's mindset. People who successfully fulfill decision making roles focus on the end game, not personal pride or sentiment. Ainge et al looked at this, recognized the injustice in Cleveland asking for more, and shrugged it off as irrelevant when focused on building a team with a chance of winning a championship.

Took over a team (with a future Hall of Fame player) coming off an Eastern Conference Finals appearance. Has one title in 14 years. His record speaks for itself.

One thing is definite Ainge did not like the team that was constructed last year and they won 53 games.
And this is the problem: Danny was the one who constructed that team.

p.s.: One more thing: LOL at those who consider Jalen Brown a part of any championship-level contender.

p.s.: One more thing: LOL at those who consider Jalen Brown a part of any championship-level contender.
Already passing a complete apprasial of his career after one year?

IMO the Celtics still have 1 more trade they need to make to get where they want to go and that trade probably involves swapping Irving for a better player.

If they swap him for Anthony Davis they are really in business. I have heard it said and thought anyway before i heard it Irving isn't good enough to be a #1 on a championship team generally.

You need someone a little better. The only championship #1 players right now IMO are Curry, Lebron, Davis and Durant (the obvious 4) and maybe Leonard, Westbrook and Harden but I wouldn't be confident with any of them really though it is a chance.

If anyone else but those are your #1 player you are just competing for 2nd place imo.

I think that ship sailed when this deal went through. The Brooklyn pick was the real bargaining chip and that is gone. They would have to gut their team to get Anthony Davis and he won't win it by himself. Imo this comes down to the development of Brown and Tatum and what they get with the Lakers pick, if it's in play. If Ainge is right about both Brown and Tatum the Celtics will turn into a championship contender by 2018, if not they get another top draft pick soon and it will be delayed a year or so. Cleveland is done after this season and other than Milwaukee it's hard to see true contenders out there.

He can't dribble, can't pass, can't shoot…What exactly can he do on offense that's helpful?
The only way he can contribute is on defense, if he puts in the effort…but he'll need to ditch the feeling of entitlement that being the undeserved #3 overall pick has given him.

Danny should've drafted Jamal Murray, but that's just one mistake of many in a near decade-long run of more misses than hits on draft night.

p.p.s.: Danny blinked, as predicted.

Danny didn't build last years team to win a title dude lol wow

They overachieved BIG TIME and his end game is to put together a very good team now that's built to outlast LeBron and possibly even Golden State..

I don't see how he hasn't done that.

He flipped pick #1 into Tatum and another likely top 5 pick.

Look at what he got for KG and Pierce

Look at what he turned the Rondo trade into

Look at what he gave up for IT, and then look at what he turned the aging injured star into...

I mean, Danny has been unreal good...

I really can't believe people are hung up on this 2020 second round pick

Literally couldn't be more useless
I agree that it's useless, however it's kind of funny that a 2nd round pick in the NBA is practically worthless.

p.p.s.: Danny blinked, as predicted.
Nah.

I think it was just a case of Danny and the Celtics being grown-ups and giving the crying, bratty kid a bite of their candy bar so he'd shut up.

I am 99.9% sure Adam Silver mediated this.

I think people are annoyed that the pick represents somewhat of an admission of Danny trying to pull a fast one when in actuality it was Gilbert

Some ESPN show last night was crucifying Cleveland, going on about what a clownshow it was and nobody in the league was going to deal with them now.
I heard an opposite point last night that made some sense. The gentleman's club that was the NBA is changing due to the new money owners that have been flowing into the league. They've ponied up a lot of money for a shiny new toy and they're gonna do whatever they want with it and won't care if they take some heat for doing so. The league is going to take on the character of these brash loose cannon hyper competitive entitled new money owners especially as the old guard owners and executives fade away. In short, be prepared for more of this stuff going forward.

I heard an opposite point last night that made some sense. The gentleman's club that was the NBA is changing due to the new money owners that have been flowing into the league. They've ponied up a lot of money for a shiny new toy and they're gonna do whatever they want with it and won't care if they take some heat for doing so. In short, be prepared for more of this stuff going forward.

Agree but even the new generation of owners (which includes Wyc) have to be gun-shy doing a deal with a unethical asshat such as Gilbert.

Notice how most of them are people that continually second guess Belichick. Just seems to be their m.o. with all the sports teams they are fans of.

Danny didn't build last years team to win a title dude lol wow

They overachieved BIG TIME and his end game is to put together a very good team now that's built to outlast LeBron and possibly even Golden State..

I don't see how he hasn't done that.

He flipped pick #1 into Tatum and another likely top 5 pick.

Look at what he got for KG and Pierce

Look at what he turned the Rondo trade into

Look at what he gave up for IT, and then look at what he turned the aging injured star into...

I mean, Danny has been unreal good...
Yeah, but according to some Ainge is "gutless.". Overhauling an Eastern Conference finalist team in 3 months to a point where only 4 players remain from that roster makes him " gutless.". Perhaps the stupidest comment I've ever seen on any message board.

Ainge threw in the 2nd rounder
View attachment 17868

Not keen on Hill or Crawford but it works.

No way I
Well I think we all really enjoyed the team. They were underdogs and IT was an emotional leader we could all really rally behind... but we all knew there was no way they could win a title, and that's the goal.

I may be in the minority here, but I found them extremely frustrating at times.

I agree with this. I am much more excited about Tatum that I ever was about Brown.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back