PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics trade Isaiah Thomas, Brooklyn 2018 pick & players for Kyrie Irving

The fallout fro him and Cavs may be in future trades when teams wonder whether Gilbert will come back asking for more later on and I expect it will make teams either more wary or more likely to put in more protections for themselves...
Gilbert is a jackass.

Something tell me the other owners and Adam Silver know that anyway.

This has the feel of, "Just give this kid his ice cream so he'll shut the hell up."

One thing is definite Ainge did not like the team that was constructed last year and they won 53 games.

I would say that Ainge didn't particularly like the overall talent level on the team, marveled that this bunch could be coached to 53 wins anyway, and drooled over the idea of bringing in more talented players to be similarly "coached up".

I would say that Ainge didn't particularly like the overall talent level on the team, marveled that this bunch could be coached to 53 wins anyway, and drooled over the idea of bringing in more talented players to be similarly "coached up".

I agree, the Cavs seemed like 2 levels ahead of us in the playoffs. They still have LeBron and will still be better, but i think we have a better team

IMO the Celtics still have 1 more trade they need to make to get where they want to go and that trade probably involves swapping Irving for a better player.

If they swap him for Anthony Davis they are really in business. I have heard it said and thought anyway before i heard it Irving isn't good enough to be a #1 on a championship team generally.

You need someone a little better. The only championship #1 players right now IMO are Curry, Lebron, Davis and Durant (the obvious 4) and maybe Leonard, Westbrook and Harden but I wouldn't be confident with any of them really though it is a chance.

If anyone else but those are your #1 player you are just competing for 2nd place imo.

Last edited:
The fallout fro him and Cavs may be in future trades when teams wonder whether Gilbert will come back asking for more later on and I expect it will make teams either more wary or more likely to put in more protections for themselves...
Some ESPN show last night was crucifying Cleveland, going on about what a clownshow it was and nobody in the league was going to deal with them now.

Some ESPN show last night was crucifying Cleveland, going on about what a clownshow it was and nobody in the league was going to deal with them now.
That 2nd rounder may turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory for them, as in " I got one over on Ainge" when in reality, the phone calls won't be returned in the future by the other teams...... Didn't the Celtics have about 9 second round picks the last two years????

I don't know if this point has been made, but it seems to me that the lesson NBA players should take away from this trade fiasco is that they should put themselves ahead of the team. The injury that devalued IT was aggravated by him playing through it. While the fans and the organization loved it, the ultimate cost will be paid by IT.

I don't know if this point has been made, but it seems to me that the lesson NBA players should take away from this trade fiasco is that they should put themselves ahead of the team. The injury that devalued IT was aggravated by him playing through it. While the fans and the organization loved it, the ultimate cost will be paid by IT.

Yep.

Just like Irving did by shooting his way out of town.

Yep.

Just like Irving did by shooting his way out of town.

Lol no

Irving didn't shoot his way out of town.

They didn't trade him because of his game

************ look at his numbers. An elite three point shooting scorer who is very efficient.

If that stat sheet is "shooting your way out of town" i don't know what you're looking for in a star.

Lol no

Irving didn't shoot his way out of town.

They didn't trade him because of his game

************ look at his numbers. An elite three point shooting scorer who is very efficient.

If that stat sheet is "shooting your way out of town" i don't know what you're looking for in a star.

You don't follow my vernacular.

"shooting his way out of town" means he forced a trade.

It had nothing to do with his play

IMO the Celtics still have 1 more trade they need to make to get where they want to go and that trade probably involves swapping Irving for a better player.

If they swap him for Anthony Davis they are really in business. I have heard it said and thought anyway before i heard it Irving isn't good enough to be a #1 on a championship team generally.

You need someone a little better. The only championship #1 players right now IMO are Curry, Lebron, Davis and Durant (the obvious 4) and maybe Leonard, Westbrook and Harden but I wouldn't be confident with any of them really though it is a chance.

If anyone else but those are your #1 player you are just competing for 2nd place imo.

Irving is probably the best scorer in the East, he's a top 10 player in the league he's not going anywhere. If you pair him up with Anthony Davis this team is better than the Cavs. Unless Davis signs here in FA i can't see us getting him

Ok, let's look at it this way (as this was mentioned elsewhere):
Is the difference between Kyrie and IT4 worth Crowder, Zizic, Brooklyn (lottery) pick and the 2nd rounder? Not sure it is so I wouldn't say that Boston WON the deal. Absolutely not.

IT4 is 3 years younger with a hip injury (an injury that has impacted players in the past). I would say Kyrie is the best scorer in the East and can take any player in the Eastern conference off the dribble. I go back to the playoff series where Cleveland was in a different sphere than us. And when LeBron was off or in foul trouble, Kyrie torched us. If Cleveland wanted they could have gotten the #1 seed and i don't know if we beat Toronto in the 2nd round.

Irving is probably the best scorer in the East, he's a top 10 player in the league he's not going anywhere. If you pair him up with Anthony Davis this team is better than the Cavs. Unless Davis signs here in FA i can't see us getting him

He isn't a free agent until after 2021.

dre
Right, so there were 30 guys who were somewhere between good to great picked in the second round in the last 60 years... so that's like... a 1-3% or so chance of your second round pick being potentially decent? Are we really gonna be mad at Danny giving that up in 3 years from now?

Odds are that pick would have turned into a bust, especially with Ainge executing the pick, But the point is, there is a chance of getting lucky. It is moronic to give that up when you are already getting fleeced. It's the principle. Ainge has built a team that has no chance to win a title in the next two years and he gave away a potential franchise player in the Brooklyn pick. Abysmal trade.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back