PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics trade Isaiah Thomas, Brooklyn 2018 pick & players for Kyrie Irving

I wouldn't be surprised to see the C's throw in one of their own 1st round picks over the next 2-3 years with top 5 or 10 protections on it, or offer CLE the chance to swap picks once over some time period if they really need to add sweetener to save the deal.

Funny that this post of mine got two "disagrees" (@dafoe2016 , @TommyD4207 ) considering that this is pretty much what happened - except that I slightly overestimated Cleveland's bargaining position.

One thing is definite Ainge did not like the team that was constructed last year and they won 53 games.

And they looked very Over matched against Lebron and that same Kyrie. Just goes to show regular season is regular season the playoffs are playoffs different game and intensity.

One thing is definite Ainge did not like the team that was constructed last year and they won 53 games.

I think he liked the team's personality and culture.

He just didn't think they were talented enough or had a high enough ceiling to realistically compete for a championship.

Additionally there are/were players on the team who he was not going to pay more than he thought they were worth.

Interesting analysis / spin from Extra pick Celtics gave Cavs proves Kyrie Irving deal never was in danger ...

It seems the way this went down is Dan Gilbert threw a hissy fit, got some push back from his front office and the rest of the freaking world, the CLE and BOS executives understood it for what it was, and Danny yielded the almost worthless 2020 2nd round pick so CLE could save face and everyone could move forward with a deal that had to get done.

In the end, it is just a data point that other teams should take in: dealing with CLE isn't going to be straight forward as long as Gilbert owns the team.

The Ringer's Kevin O'Conner ( Our Long Cavaliers-Celtics Trade Nightmare Is Over ) writes:

And:

And:

And:

So it seems this is about how Gilbert felt LBJ was dealing with the trade i.e. LBJ and Lue were told that the deal was to help them win now, but with a "damaged" IT that story didn't hold water, so they went back to the table. At the same time, everyone in the CLE front office knows the deal is really about improving defense with Crowder and getting the BKN pick so they have "something" once LBJ leaves. Therefore the minor concession was enough to save face and luckily for them Danny was gracious enough to yield the concession in order for the deal to go through.

Great find.

I knew that petulant turd of an owner Gilbert was the one driving this....

In the NBA the team that gets the best player wins, THE CELTICS WON the deal
No... There's that little matter of the Brooklyn pick, sorry.
Ok, let's look at it this way (as this was mentioned elsewhere):
Is the difference between Kyrie and IT4 worth Crowder, Zizic, Brooklyn (lottery) pick and the 2nd rounder? Not sure it is so I wouldn't say that Boston WON the deal. Absolutely not.

Worrying about how it feels to add a future second rounder to this, or whether this was "a shake down", is a loser's mindset. People who successfully fulfill decision making roles focus on the end game, not personal pride or sentiment. Ainge et al looked at this, recognized the injustice in Cleveland asking for more, and shrugged it off as irrelevant when focused on building a team with a chance of winning a championship.

Well I think we all really enjoyed the team. They were underdogs and IT was an emotional leader we could all really rally behind... but we all knew there was no way they could win a title, and that's the goal.

Ok, let's look at it this way (as this was mentioned elsewhere):
Is the difference between Kyrie and IT4 worth Crowder, Zizic, Brooklyn (lottery) pick and the 2nd rounder? Not sure it is so I wouldn't say that Boston WON the deal. Absolutely not.

Yes the difference is worth that...

Not only is Kyrie the better player, he's cheaper, and significantly younger.

When brown and Tatum (and perhaps the 2018 laker/76er pick) are hitting their primes, IT will be at the end or likely even past his prime. Kyrie will be right in his prime... that's probably the biggest factor in this trade nobody is talking about

Kyrie fits the timeline with the young players a lot better.

When brown and Tatum (and perhaps the 2018 laker/76er pick) are hitting their primes, IT will be at the end or likely even past his prime. Kyrie will be right in his prime... that's probably the biggest factor in this trade nobody is talking about

Yes

Danny has said "timeline" 1/2 a dozen times.

I like the trade but what I'm saying there' no way that the C's definitively WON this trade.

Great find.

I knew that petulant turd of an owner Gilbert was the one driving this....
The fallout fro him and Cavs may be in future trades when teams wonder whether Gilbert will come back asking for more later on and I expect it will make teams either more wary or more likely to put in more protections for themselves...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back