PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Aqib Talib re-signs (with Patriots) for One Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Free-agent CB Aqib Talib reached agreement with the Patriots on a one-year deal.

Just one year but we couldn't afford to lose him.

I wonder if there was some sort of "No franchise tag" agreement after this year.

You need to look in the "2013 Cap Savings if Cut or Traded" column, not "2013 Cap Hit if Cut" one.

Thanks for explaining what I meant to him.

All I can offer is that by resigning Talib, I am officially comfortable with our defense, regardless of who else they might sign, draft, etc.

All I can offer is that by resigning Talib, I am officially comfortable with our defense, regardless of who else they might sign, draft, etc.

I am comfortable as well..but the problem is talib will miss 4-5 game this year as usual...and as of now..aka arrington playing outside :eek: Need another CB

Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Now we just need to finalize a Veteran DE for Chandler to learn from and draft a young, athletic DT that can penetrate. Here's hoping that Sheldon Richardson drops..

Other than Reed there is no way we'd add another safety. And if we did add Reed you can be assured Gregory would be cut same day.

Talib staying means McCourty stays at FS. We're not going to demote Dennard to 4th CB which would be what would have to happen to start Talib/McCourty because we have $16 million reasons to put Arrington in the slot.

The roster will breakdown IMO

1. Talib
2. Dennard
3. Arrington
4. Dowling
5. Draft Pick

1. McCourty
2. Gregory/Reed

1. A Wilson (Reed would platoon here if signed)
2. T Wilson
1. Talib - 1 yr deal will allow the Pats to figure out if he will be a long term player. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats like his play that he is offered an extension during the season. Thought he would cost the Pats more in the 3 yr. $18M range than 1 yr. $5M.
2. Dennard - nobody knows what will happen but he showed he can play.
3. Arrington - $4M is a lot and thought the Pats could get him for $2M. However, good attitude and can play special teams.
4. Dowling - Without question he is Wild card in the db equation. If he is healthy there is no doubt he has the talent to be a starting cb.
5. Draft Pick - Because of Talib and Wilson the need may have dropped from 1st round to 3rd round.

1. McCourty - real good comments about him and he will be starting at safety and at times playing cb as well. Belicheck loves his flexibility and think 2013 will be a big real year. McCourty will be all over the field playing multiple positions.
2. Gregory - 3rd down safety will be his role.
3. A. Wilson - EXACTLY what the Pats needed and he will the intimidator we have needed for a long time. A veteran player like Wilson can really change how opponents look at the Pats defensive backs.
4. T. Wilson - he will be mentored A. Wilson, McCourty and lets see what he can do.

The addition of A. Wilson can be huge and I am really surprised by Talib.

I am comfortable as well..but the problem is talib will miss 4-5 game this year as usual...and as of now..aka arrington playing outside :eek: Need another CB

True..... but also with big John in there now, and who knows maybe Freeney, if the pass rush gets going the overall skill level at CB doesn't have to be quite as high as otherwise.

But yeah.......

True..... but also with big John in there now, and who knows maybe Freeney, if the pass rush gets going the overall skill level at CB doesn't have to be quite as high as otherwise.

But yeah.......

Pats don't have abraham yet and rap says they both have left town..meaning nothing is coming in the next few hours at least. They may not sign either of them

Isn't it 1.67m dead money, whilst a saving of 487k on his contract had he stayed on the roster.

:bricks:

How can you be? Its the same defense that allowed the Ravens to drive to 3 consecutive TDs and forced a grand total of 1 3rd down play that was easily converted, plus Adrian Wilson. Woohoo.
Lets just let QBs take all day to throw because we have no one who can rush the passer besides Jones.
If the pass rush doesn't get better, the pass defense will stink again.

Hi PatsFans. It's the DookFish checking in from this islands (with the BeanFish, and assorted bigger fish in tow.) My last post was in 2008 when I weighed in from training camp with rave reviews on the Crable fish. Well, the good news is that the internet's reach now extends to the island which the DookFish calls home---think Swiss Family Robinson. The bad news is that my football acumen is no more advanced than in 2008. Let me offer my take on BB's latest strategems. First, BB's flirtation with Emmanuel Sanders was a head fake intended to drive down the restructuring cost of Brandon Lloyd. It was not real, though the leak to the Pittsburgh Gazette was very real. Lloyd is history, and therefore the Sanders offer sheet, or rumored offer sheet, will not come to pass. (Think about the Lombardi leak of the Mallett pick--planted by BB--ten minutes before we picked him, intended to cause Miami to trade into the spot.) Second, on the subject of Mallett, the word on the street is that 'Zona and the Brownies are competing for his services. BB will not go into the draft with a 60 --or if E Sanders is offered--a 90 pick gap in his lineup. He will move the MallettFish for multiple mid-round picks, or alternatively a D lineman and a single pick. Third, Adrian was not signed as a real safety. He was brought on to play a hybrid safety linebacker-safety role on passing downs, taking both Spikes and Hightower off the field in passing downs. (By the way, Hightower will play inside next year, As Spikes will be permitted to watch. Fourth, I will conclude this post with a 2014 compensatory pick update. We lead 3 to 1, and trust me, BB is counting and is a devout follower of Adam JT...Respectfully sunbmitted, The DookFish.. P.S. The school of fish want to play beach football. I am QB.. More later.....

How can you be? Its the same defense that allowed the Ravens to drive to 3 consecutive TDs and forced a grand total of 1 3rd down play that was easily converted, plus Adrian Wilson. Woohoo.
Lets just let QBs take all day to throw because we have no one who can rush the passer besides Jones.

Uhmm what? With Aqib Talib they allowed 0 points and 2 3 and outs, small sample size but what you said is completely untrue.

If the Pats lose Talib and Jones again, then they're probably going to be in trouble no matter who else they add.

Which is $486 thousand less than his cap hit if he remains on the team. I think you're the one not understanding the cap bud..

Just got back from the gym
I am an idiot who can't align columns apparently

Hi PatsFans. It's the DookFish checking in from this islands (with the BeanFish, and assorted bigger fish in tow.) My last post was in 2008 when I weighed in from training camp with rave reviews on the Crable fish. Well, the good news is that the internet's reach now extends to the island which the DookFish calls home---think Swiss Family Robinson. The bad news is that my football acumen is no more advanced than in 2008. Let me offer my take on BB's latest strategems. First, BB's flirtation with Emmanuel Sanders was a head fake intended to drive down the restructuring cost of Brandon Lloyd. It was not real, though the leak to the Pittsburgh Gazette was very real. Lloyd is history, and therefore the Sanders offer sheet, or rumored offer sheet, will not come to pass. (Think about the Lombardi leak of the Mallett pick--planted by BB--ten minutes before we picked him, intended to cause Miami to trade into the spot.) Second, on the subject of Mallett, the word on the street is that 'Zona and the Brownies are competing for his services. BB will not go into the draft with a 60 --or if E Sanders is offered--a 90 pick gap in his lineup. He will move the MallettFish for multiple mid-round picks, or alternatively a D lineman and a single pick. Third, Adrian was not signed as a real safety. He was brought on to play a hybrid safety linebacker-safety role on passing downs, taking both Spikes and Hightower off the field in passing downs. (By the way, Hightower will play inside next year, As Spikes will be permitted to watch. Fourth, I will conclude this post with a 2014 compensatory pick update. We lead 3 to 1, and trust me, BB is counting and is a devout follower of Adam JT...Respectfully sunbmitted, The DookFish.. P.S. The school of fish want to play beach football. I am QB.. More later.....

Which islands?

If the Pats lose Talib and Jones again, then they're probably going to be in trouble no matter who else they add.

Most defenses are going to be in trouble if they lose their best pass rusher and best cornerback.

Although to be fair Jones was not as effective in the second half of the year after his injury and yet the defense was as good or better than at the beginning. Hopefully a healthy Jones makes the defense even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST