PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we root for Mahomes now?

On what planet does 25,000 career passing yards and 1500 rushing yards constitute "relying on his ability to scramble?" Looks like he relies on his arm to me...are you confusing him with Lamar who has 4500 career rushing yards and has gotten 1000+ rushing yards in several seasons?
Tell me you don't know what scrambling is without telling me you don't know what scrambling is.

Patrick Mahomes ran nearly 500 yards before throwing or getting sacked - ProFootballTalk

Tell me you don't know what scrambling is without telling me you don't know what scrambling is.

Patrick Mahomes ran nearly 500 yards before throwing or getting sacked - ProFootballTalk

Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about...

Mahomes (since 2018):

Total Passing Yards - 25,000

Passing Yards off scramble - 2126 (according to your post)

Total touchdowns - 192

touchdowns off scramble - 17

Total completions - 1985

completions off scramble - 118

In other words, the stats he accumulates off of scrambling is just a small percentage of what he does based on being a pocket passer. We're talking 10% or less of his overall body of work...you're acting like Mahomes is playing backyard football all the time when he's not. Those are just the highlights you see on YouTube.

Last edited:
Are the Mahomes fan club boys attending a game or two in order to show their fealty? Just asking.

Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about...

Mahomes (since 2018):

Total Passing Yards - 25,000

Passing Yards off scramble - 2126 (according to your post)

Total touchdowns - 192

touchdowns off scramble - 17

Total completions - 1985

completions off scramble - 118

In other words, the stats he accumulates off of scrambling is just a small percentage of what he does based on being a pocket passer. We're talking 10% or less of his overall body of work...you're acting like Mahomes is playing backyard football all the time when he's not. Those are just the highlights you see on YouTube.
The 2126 yards is at the beginning of the 2022 season, so your total yards are off. He had 18,991 going into 2022 and had 360 yards in Week 1, so 19,351. That's 11%.

Tom averaged 3879 yds per season (including seasons when pass defense was allowed)
Kermit averages 4040 yds per season

4040 - 11% = 3596

Whoopsie

The 2126 yards is at the beginning of the 2022 season, so your total yards are off. He had 18,991 going into 2022 and had 360 yards in Week 1, so 19,351. That's 11%.

Right, so that one percentage makes a huge difference...

And what's your point anyway with all this? Are you hoping Mahomes gets injured so that that human stick figure Brady's records stay intact?

Perhaps if Brady had the ability to throw on the run he'd have beaten the Giants and gone 19-0. Oopsie....

Last edited:
Right, so that one percentage makes a huge difference...

And what's your point anyway with all this? Are you hoping Mahomes gets injured so that that human stick figure Brady's records stay intact?

Perhaps if Brady had the ability to throw on the run he'd have beaten the Giants and gone 19-0. Oopsie....
No, but the 11% accounts for the difference between the two...and then some. I am saying that longevity like Tom achieved is less likely for a QB that has to scramble.

As for SB 42, not sure you can pin that on Tom's inability to scramble. Even his pocket movement was hindered due to a high ankle sprain. The Giants DL won that game...kind of like SB 54, where Mahomes failed to score a TD.

No, but the 11% accounts for the difference between the two...and then some. I am saying that longevity like Tom achieved is less likely for a QB that has to scramble.

That's the thing. He's a great pocket passer and you don't realize it. It's not like he's Michael Vick.

As for SB 42, not sure you can pin that on Tom's inability to scramble. Even his pocket movement was hindered due to a high ankle sprain. The Giants DL won that game...kind of like SB 54, where Mahomes failed to score a TD.

Brady's ankle was fine before SB 42. He even laughed at Plaxico Burress who said the Pats were only going to score 17 points. Brady didn't look worried at all pre-game.

So accurate. Lmao

How can you not root for Mahomes after watching this play. Nobody else could have done this. Brady who?

That's the thing. He's a great pocket passer and you don't realize it. It's not like he's Michael Vick.
Thats not what your numbers showed. Without scrambling hes average.

Brady's ankle was fine before SB 42. He even laughed at Plaxico Burress who said the Pats were only going to score 17 points. Brady didn't look worried at all pre-game.

Brady, sans boot and limp, 'ready to go' for XLII

Brady: High ankle sprain

t1-brady2jpg.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
Thats not what your numbers showed. Without scrambling hes average.

Your math sucks. If we don't count Mahomes' 2022 stats and his ignore his rookie year (where he played only one game), he'd have a total of 18707 yards. Subtract 2126 yards that came off scrambles, he'd have 16581 yards over four seasons (2018-2021). That amounts to 4145 yards per season on average, which is much higher than Timmy's 3871 yards. In other words, 89% of his throws are in the pocket. That doesn't even account for the fact that Mahomes COULD HAVE in many instances thrown from the pocket but chose to run instead. Would you like a lowercase L or capital L with that?

Awww....poor baby. Before the game he looked ok to me. Besides, your headline said "he's ready to go." Mahomes had a much worse high ankle sprain this past year and won a super bowl against a much better pass rush than the 2007 Giants...you know, the guy who supposedly "relies on his scrambling."

1997685107-tom-brady-quote-response-to-plaxico-superbowl-42-only-score-17-points.jpg

Last edited:
Your math sucks. If we don't count Mahomes' 2022 stats and his ignore his rookie year (where he played only one game), he'd have a total of 18707 yards. Subtract 2126 yards that came off scrambles, he'd have 16581 yards over four seasons (2018-2021). That amounts to 4145 yards per season on average, which is much higher than Timmy's 3871 yards. In other words, 89% of his throws are in the pocket. That doesn't even account for the fact that Mahomes COULD HAVE in many instances thrown from the pocket but chose to run instead. Would you like a lowercase L or capital L with that?
If we have to ignore Kermit's rookie year then we have to ignore Tom's. That bring's Tom's average up to 4,055. Like I said, that includes three seasons where pass defense was allowed. I'll leave the L here for you, it has your monogram on it.

Awww....poor baby. Before the game he looked ok to me. Besides, your headline said "he's ready to go." Mahomes had a much worse high ankle sprain this past year and won a super bowl against a much better pass rush than the 2007 Giants...you know, the guy who supposedly "relies on his scrambling."

1997685107-tom-brady-quote-response-to-plaxico-superbowl-42-only-score-17-points.jpg
Tom never falied to score a TD in a Super Bowl. Kermit did. When he played against the GOAT. If the NFL had put out the same turf that was in the Glendale stadium for SB 57 as they did for SB 42 it's a different game and the Eagles front 7 would have generated pressure like the Giants did.

If we have to ignore Kermit's rookie year then we have to ignore Tom's. That bring's Tom's average up to 4,055. Like I said, that includes three seasons where pass defense was allowed. I'll leave the L here for you, it has your monogram on it.

Might as well put that L on your chest as a scarlet letter.

During the regular season, Brady has averaged 4284 yards per year (not including his rookie year). Mahomes has averaged 4791 yards per season (not including his rookie year). That's a full 500 yards more per season for Mahomes. Is it Mahomes fault that he has the ability to throw on the run and Brady does not?

Tom never falied to score a TD in a Super Bowl. Kermit did. When he played against the GOAT. If the NFL had put out the same turf that was in the Glendale stadium for SB 57 as they did for SB 42 it's a different game and the Eagles front 7 would have generated pressure like the Giants did.

Who cares? A super bowl loss is a super bowl loss, and Brady has 3 of them. The turf excuse is lame. The Chiefs played on that same turf in week 1 in Arizona and their kicker slipped and hurt himself. So Andy Reid made sure that the Chiefs were wearing their long cleats for the SB. Perhaps if the Eagles coaching staff paid attention to the details they would have done better.

Somehow you think that a quarterback like Mahomes who takes on average takes 4 sacks a year less than Brady is more likely to get hurt than Brady....that's your dumb logic. Mahomes has missed a grand total of 3 games in his career.

Last edited:
Might as well put that L on your chest as a scarlet letter.

During the regular season, Brady has averaged 4284 yards per year (not including his rookie year). Mahomes has averaged 4791 yards per season (not including his rookie year). That's a full 500 yards more per season for Mahomes. Is it Mahomes fault that he has the ability to throw on the run and Brady does not?
7 > 2. Swear to God.

Who cares? A super bowl loss is a super bowl loss, and Brady has 3 of them. The turf excuse is lame. The Chiefs played on that same turf in week 1 in Arizona and their kicker slipped and hurt himself. So Andy Reid made sure that the Chiefs were wearing their long cleats for the SB. Perhaps if the Eagles coaching staff paid attention to the details they would have done better.
Incorrect. That field was just for the Super Bowl. I think your Mom is calling so you should probably go.

The playing surface at the 2023 Super Bowl is basically a big Slip ‘N Slide

Super Bowl 2023 ‘Sod-gate’ continues with revealing slippery-turf stats

Somehow you think that a quarterback like Mahomes who takes on average takes 4 sacks a year less than Brady is more likely to get hurt than Brady....that's your dumb logic. Mahomes has missed a grand total of 3 games in his career.
It's not the sacks that are going to take their tool. It's the tackles when he is on the run. No one has played longer than Tom Brady and the person who come closes isn't going to be someone who runs more often in the open field where they aren't protected by rules that are meant to protect the QB. It's not rocket surgery.

Last edited:
7 > 2. Swear to God.

And 21 > 5. Let's see if you can figure that one out...
Incorrect. That field was just for the Super Bowl. I think your Mom is calling so you should probably go.

Really, then why does Belichick have the Pats put on longer cleats whenever they play in Arizona?

It's not the sacks that are going to take their tool. It's the tackles when he is on the run. No one has played longer than Tom Brady and the person who come closes isn't going to be someone who runs more often in the open field where they aren't protected by rules that are meant to protect the QB. It's not rocket surgery.

All I know is Brady got sacked more than any QB in NFL history...that's a fact. You might want to look it up. And what the hell is rocket surgery? Clearly you aren't a "rocket surgeon."

And 21 > 5. Let's see if you can figure that one out...
Yup. And he won't catch up their either. No one is going to play 22 years as a starter.
Really, then why does Belichick have the Pats put on longer cleats whenever they play in Arizona?
I posted the articles that talked about this fact. I guess reading is one of your other challenges?
All I know is Brady got sacked more than any QB in NFL history...that's a fact. You might want to look it up. And what the hell is rocket surgery? Clearly you aren't a "rocket surgeon."
Yeah, shocking that the QB who played in the most games in NFL history wound up with the most sacks.

Rocket surgery is a play on words. Usually you teenagers are up on all the slang.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-people-mean-when-they-say-its-not-rocket-surgery#:~:text=It's%20a%20humorous%20conflation%20of,surgery%20offered%20as%20a%20comparison.

Yup. And he won't catch up their either. No one is going to play 22 years as a starter.

I posted the articles that talked about this fact. I guess reading is one of your other challenges?

Yeah, shocking that the QB who played in the most games in NFL history wound up with the most sacks.

Rocket surgery is a play on words. Usually you teenagers are up on all the slang.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-people-mean-when-they-say-its-not-rocket-surgery#:~:text=It's%20a%20humorous%20conflation%20of,surgery%20offered%20as%20a%20comparison.

I guess you are admitting that Mahomes is the better quarterback. Why else would you be hoping that he doesn't play in as many games as Brady? You know what's going to happen to Timmy's records otherwise. If the game is on the line I'm taking Mahomes.

I guess you are admitting that Mahomes is the better quarterback. Why else would you be hoping that he doesn't play in as many games as Brady? You know what's going to happen to Timmy's records otherwise. If the game is on the line I'm taking Mahomes.
I am not just hoping. I know. Wasn't that your point? That 21 seasons is more than 5? Are you arguing with yourself?

dumbass GIF

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back