PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we finally stop pretending that Cam is good?

Cam right now shouldn't be starting over a left handed Mark Sanchez. If you think he should be starting over Hoyer or Stid you're delusional
I mean...............cam sucks............but hoyer definitely does too and if bill thought stid was good he would be starting right now.

You guys that think Belichick is a bad coach:
Sb6NAVTwjcUcE.gif

I mean...............cam sucks............but hoyer definitely does too and if bill thought stid was good he would be starting right now.
Yea that seems to be the one and only supporting argument the anti Stid pro mediocre Cam have

Yea that seems to be the one and only supporting argument the anti Stid pro mediocre Cam have
I literally said cam sucks in my post. I'm not "pro cam". I'm just stating the obvious. Hoyer sucks. Do you disagree? And if bill thought stid was good he would be starting. Do you disagree with that?

There’s nothing worse than a 6-10 or 7-9 season. You don’t make the playoffs (unless NFC least) and you’re not bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Cam Newton is the PERFECT qb for a 6-10 or 7-9 season. I don’t blame BB for signing him off the scrap heap, but he should not be signed again after this season is done.

Exactly. That’s not exactly a compliment to our backup QBs right now is it.
It reflects belichicks decision. Assuming it’s the right decision is sketchy at this point.

And if bill thought stid was good he would be starting. Do you disagree with that?

Yes. Stidham is not ready for prime time. Some players take longer to mature and be ready. Here is an article from today https://nesn.com/2020/12/patriots-dont-have-enough-info-on-jarrett-stidham-with-questions-at-qb/?src=rss

Quotes from Josh McDaniels and Jed Fisch are below. Basically Stidham is getting better, improving and they like what they see, but Stidham needs a bit more seasoning before replacing Cam. Some players take 2 years to mature, some 3. The argument that Stidham stinks because he is not starting over Cam is only valid if both players are at the same point in their careers. Right now we can tell if Keene or Asiasi is progressing faster based on playing time and stats (they are both rookies and at the same point in their careers). But with the comparison of a 12 year veteran versus a 2nd year rookie there are a lot of considerations to take into account.

McDaniels quote, "And then obviously the biggest body of work we can see from Jarrett is in practice. We’ve had an opportunity to see him improve, particularly on the practice field and over the course of two years. He’s certainly made progress. He’s got room to grow as well." …“In some some ways he’s made the most of the opportunities but there’s definitely some things we can fix and tweak as we move forward, hopefully, improve from some of the things that we see on tape.”

Fisch quote, “So I’ve seen some growth in terms of his confidence, some growth in terms of the speed of play. He’s always been a very pure passer. throws a very good ball. That’s always been the case from coming out of college, but what he has done is he’s continued to improve each week his ability to process and play fast.”

I was Cam's biggest defender this offseason, but he's just not any good. It was worth a shot though. Time to play Stidum the rest of the season.

Were we pretending? I know I wasn't after the first few games. Last night was a bummer. At least Stidham didn't throw an INT like he usually does.

I'm thinking of the references to Cam being a good leader are reminiscent of what was said of George Custer before Little Bighorn.

No Stidham did not look better than Cam yesterday. 5/7 27 yards 2 sacks is a nothing performance that will be forgotten quickly. Looked every bit like the backup QB that he will ever be. I don’t need to see a QB like that start a game unless my actual starter is injured.
Of course he was better than Cam. Do you not recognize how god awful newton played yesterday. If Stidham took a knee 7 times he would have been better than newton. Newton being on the field turned a win into a loss.

I'm thinking of the references to Cam being a good leader are reminiscent of what was said of George Custer before Little Bighorn.
It’s the only way to support him and keep a straight face. Rule were of thumb, when the best thing you have to say about someone is subjective, unverifiable and has nothing to do with his they actually perform, it’s bs.

Agreed - laughing. I understand that Cam is very likeable, and it is hard to be critical of someone you like, but this is "homerism" at its pinnacle. Neither writer mentions that Cam is seeing 8 in the box and throwing into single man coverage (much easier), and when he does complete the pass it stops the receivers in their tracks, or the receiver has to make an amazing grab, or jump for the ball, etc. Why don't Kyed or Lazar talk about YAC?????? ;)
The pick6 was explainable. Credibility gone.

Agreed - laughing. I understand that Cam is very likeable, and it is hard to be critical of someone you like, but this is "homerism" at its pinnacle. Neither writer mentions that Cam is seeing 8 in the box and throwing into single man coverage (much easier), and when he does complete the pass it stops the receivers in their tracks, or the receiver has to make an amazing grab, or jump for the ball, etc. Why don't Kyed or Lazar talk about YAC?????? ;)

The pick6 was explainable. Credibility gone.
This is becoming embarrassing. Evan is talking about how bad the system is for Cam like he isn't familiar with it. He'll show things we've known Cam can do for years. He's not the only one watching film. Cam is a very limited QB rn. Can someone please explain how if we upgraded our weapons, how that would help Cam's mechanics, & processing? He's had 2-3 games where you could win bc of him or he was good enough. A few average games and 4-5 terrible games. That's not a case of simply upgrading the cast around him and we're good to go.

I was supporting Cam before most. Even before he came here. I got behind what we were trying to do but let's be objective here. The guy, alone, isn't playing the position at a high enough level consistently.

Also It's not hard to isolate and evaluate one player. I keep hearing "it's tough to eval or judge Cam with this cast". That's literally what scouts do almost every day they're working lol. Cam doesn't need their excuses or pity. He's a grown man that has accomplished a ton. Let's stop with the pity party for Cam. If he left football tomorrow he'd be a millionaire with multiple opportunities to make a lot of money. He'll be ok.

Last edited:
The problem is the pro Stidham argument isn't anything about Stidgam and it's just "Cam sucks".

So basically we are just all arguing that two guys suck and are debating whether we should defer to the coach

Forget Cam. Overall his career did not match the hype. One great season that ended disastrously. At this point he physically can't do it anymore. Everyone can recognize that except for Belichick. Which brings me to the real question that needs to be asked... can we finally stop pretending that Belichick is good without Brady? His record now as Patriots coach without Brady stands at 24-26.

Forget Cam. Overall his career did not match the hype. One great season that ended disastrously. At this point he physically can't do it anymore. Everyone can recognize that except for Belichick. Which brings me to the real question that needs to be asked... can we finally stop pretending that Belichick is good without Brady? His record now as Patriots coach without Brady stands at 24-26.
He is the GOAT coach, there is no debate here. His coaching is the reason we are 6-7. Put any other coach instead and we are probably 2-11 right now.

now if you talk about his team building that is different. If BB finish his career here without another winning season, it will be more an indictment of his team building than coaching.

I don't buy it either. I'm sorry, but Brady had 24 passing tds with basically the same cr@p offense.

Cam newton has 5 passing TDs and my eyes tell me his pocket presence stinks and his mechanics are poor. It's 50-50 every time he throws the ball whether it will be a laser or be at the receivers feet. Other guys like Jeff howe have said he's missing reads.

Not saying the receivers aren't a problem. They are. But to say that's why cam has 5 tds to this point and absolve him?

And I was a big proponent of cam early in the season it just seems he's regressed since covid

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back