PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone tell me what the Patriots are doing? Now Cooks is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mr. Kraft

I am writing you today very concerned regarding the direction of the team that I love. Our team, the Patriots. I urge too to please get rid of this Belichick guy before its too late.

Sincerly
Mike from New England

PS - If you dont remember me, I wrote you every week years ago about about firing no slant route Charlie Wies and trading for David Boston.

Dear Mr. Kraft

I am writing you today very concerned regarding the direction of the team that I love. Our team, the Patriots. I urge too to please get rid of this Belichick guy before its too late.

Sincerly
Mike from New England

PS - If you dont remember me, I wrote you every week years ago about about firing no slant route Charlie Wies and trading for David Boston.
Nem?

Clayborn isn't a great run defender though. And 2016 Edelman might have been better than Cooks but 2018 might not be. He's 32, very beat up and coming off an injury that often takes a full year playing before a guy "looks like himself"

The concerns on offense are very valid. The D has improved but nothing has been done at LB which was their weakest spot. As on the offense, they're relying on an unreliable guy (Hightower).

There's plenty of time to further add to the roster but they're worse off than last year and generally rookies are not Day 1 impact players. The guys they draft will likely be brought along slowly unless injuries or significant performance problems force them into action.
Clayborn is a good run defender. Far better than anything we had opposite flowers last year.

Teams always miss in the draft more than they hit. The Patriots are no different than every team in the NFL.

Ron Wolff's philosophy was if a team can land 2 starters and a role player in a draft they are ahead of the game

In this fairly comprehensive analysis the NEP are the 7th best drafting team in the NFL the last 5 years. I'll take that

Grading every NFL team's draft performance over the last 5 years

Last couple of years: Easley, Grissom, Stork, Richards, Jones, Brissett, Jackson, Fleming. Some had lingering issues with various injuries, some are plain busts, some will be on the roster bubble this spring. Valentine is always injured, Brown was mentioned as a possible trade candidate. In short, the Patriots missed out a lot lately.

Last couple of years: Easley, Grissom, Stork, Richards, Jones, Brissett, Jackson, Fleming. Some had lingering issues with various injuries, some are plain busts, some will be on the roster bubble this spring. Valentine is always injured, Brown was mentioned as a possible trade candidate. In short, the Patriots missed out a lot lately.

Easley- Was a top 10 talent with some flags . When healthy and motivated is a good player. His play isn't what got him cut. It was how we went about dealing with his rehab.

Stork- 4th round draft pick. Won a SB as the starting Center his rookie year. Ya. No. Getting a guy in the 4th to be your starting Center and winning a SB is not a miss.

Jones- Nope he isn't a hit or a miss as of right now. He had a 1 season and missed last year because of a pre-season injury. Nope you don't get to use him as a "miss"

Brissett- He's only a miss if you think he was drafted with the intention of actually being the next guy, which he wasn't. He was drafted to be a developmental back-up. He's also not a miss for the fact that he came in and won a game when Brady was suspended.

Fleming- 4th round pick who filled in decently when called upon when Solder & Cannon missed time, moved on because his contract was up. Not a miss.

Valentine- is not always injured, he's in the same boat as Cyrus Jones. He played 1 season and missed this season because of injury.

Brown- Some mediot talking about Brown potentially getting traded is absolutely f**king laughable to act like that means anything. Brown isn't a miss.

So all you got is Richards & Grissom

Depends on how you look at it. Were they productive? Talented? You need 3 years to see if a player is for real.

Lets look at the last 4 years

Rivers -TBD
Garcia -TBD
Wise- HIT- S
McDermott - MISS

Jones -MISS
Thuney- HIT-S
Brissett- HIT-S
Valentine- HIT
Mitchell- HIT
Hill- HIT (for Philly)
Roberts- HIT
Karras- HIT
Lucien- TBD

Brown- HIT-S
Grissom- MISS
Richards- MISS (ST)
Trey Flowers- HIT-S
Jackson- MISS
Mason- HIT-S
Cardona- HIT (ST)
Wells- MISS
Derby- HIT
Roberts- HIT (I think BB screwed up. They should have kept him)
****son- MISS

Easley- MISS
Jimmy -HIT-S
Stork- HIT and a MISS (Starter but injuries got to him)-S
White- HIT-S
Fleming- HIT (for a 4th rounder not bad)
Halapio-MISS
Thomas- MISS
Moore- MISS
Gallon- MISS

33 picks. 17 Hits. 9 starters and two key STers.

Even the most critical draftnik would say that is a damn good job of picking talent and having it translate into on-the-field production.

Yes, Richards and Grissom were misses (we might add Tavon Wilson). However, all contribute a lot on special teams, a fine consolation prize for a miss (and a bust).

Easley- Was a top 10 talent with some flags . When healthy and motivated is a good player. His play isn't what got him cut. It was how we went about dealing with his rehab.

Stork- 4th round draft pick. Won a SB as the starting Center his rookie year. Ya. No. Getting a guy in the 4th to be your starting Center and winning a SB is not a miss.

Jones- Nope he isn't a hit or a miss as of right now. He had a 1 season and missed last year because of a pre-season injury. Nope you don't get to use him as a "miss"

Brissett- He's only a miss if you think he was drafted with the intention of actually being the next guy, which he wasn't. He was drafted to be a developmental back-up. He's also not a miss for the fact that he came in and won a game when Brady was suspended.

Fleming- 4th round pick who filled in decently when called upon when Solder & Cannon missed time, moved on because his contract was up. Not a miss.

Valentine- is not always injured, he's in the same boat as Cyrus Jones. He played 1 season and missed this season because of injury.

Brown- Some mediot talking about Brown potentially getting traded is absolutely f**king laughable to act like that means anything. Brown isn't a miss.

So all you got is Richards & Grissom

No. I'm looking at if any players can make an impact and NONE of them can. Sherman definitely would have made an impact on these trash pass runners, which by the way were completely exposed in the SB. The WR core is weak. All it takes for one more injury to Edelman who almost never stays healthy, and that's it. They're out looking for a WR again. Awful trade.

And relying on Malcolm Mitchell? WHAT? Since when the hell can this guy show he can ever stay healthy? His knees have been shot for years already. He will NEVER be healthy.

You forgot about Kenny Britt, who came in at the end of last year. So they must have saw something they liked from him in practice, he just may have been slow to pick up the playbook. They brought a speedy guy and great punt returner, they have Dorsett, who when thrown to was generally open and caught the ball. Edelmen will be back, Mitchell will be back, Gronk will be back, Hogan will be back.

Plus you have Brady. I have no doubt that group will be in the top scoring offenses again in 2018

You forgot about Kenny Britt, who came in at the end of last year. So they must have saw something they liked from him in practice, he just may have been slow to pick up the playbook. They brought a speedy guy and great punt returner, they have Dorsett, who when thrown to was generally open and caught the ball and was open a lot of the times he didn't get the ball. Edelmen will be back, Mitchell will be back, Gronk will be back, Hogan will be back.

Plus you have Brady. I have no doubt that group will be in the top scoring offenses again in 2018

2014: Jimmy Garoppollo, Cam Fleming and Brian Stork all contributed. James White (S) still with the team. Undrafted Free Agent Malcolm Butler.

2015: Malcom Brown (S), Jordan Richards, Geneo Grissom, Trey Flowers (S), Shaq Mason (S), Joe Cardona (S) all still with the team. Undrafted Free Agent David Andrews (S)

2016: (With NO first round pick, remember?) Joe Thuney (S), Malcolm Mitchell, Vincent Valentine, Elandon Roberts, Cyrus Jones, Ted Karras all still on the team. Undrafted free agent Jonathan Jones (S). And Brissett brought Dorsett.

2017: Deatrich Wise, Derek Rivers, Antonio Garcia
Undrafted Free Agents: Both Hollisters, Harvey Langi, Cole Croston, Adam Butler
That's not counting trading last year's 32 for this year's 23, and a 1000+ yard season of Brandin Cooks for 1.5million. You have to count Cooks in this draft class, along with whatever #23 gets them this year.

2014 kind of sucked, Jimmy G played an important role in his time here, but no one wanted him on the field, obviously. Butler was instrumental in winning a SuperBowl and securing the secondary for a couple of years. Fleming played important roles each year. And James White is still James White. Do they win SB against the Seahawks without Butler? Do they win against the Falcons without White (who could have been the MVP of that game)?

And that was the WORST year, with only a few draft picks.

All of those drafts were made were made following a Superbowl Win, or an AFCCG loss (both with injury-ravaged teams) - so obviously deep and stacked teams with terrible drafting positions. And now they're preparing the BEST draft positions and sheer numbers they've had in many years - at least since 2012 - following a SuperBowl loss.

Those four drafts were also made after having a 1st and 4th STOLEN by the NFL.

We’re getting mr. magoo for new quarter back

No. I'm looking at if any players can make an impact and NONE of them can. Sherman definitely would have made an impact on these trash pass runners, which by the way were completely exposed in the SB. The WR core is weak. All it takes for one more injury to Edelman who almost never stays healthy, and that's it. They're out looking for a WR again. Awful trade.

And relying on Malcolm Mitchell? WHAT? Since when the hell can this guy show he can ever stay healthy? His knees have been shot for years already. He will NEVER be healthy.
Yeah man , i dont know why won so much in the past with similar players. We should be the browns. I dont know how BB is going to to field a competitive team next week on opening day...

Okay bro, if and when Edelman gets injured again because he almost never stays healthy you'll realize the stupidity of what NE has done even with their WRs. Can't believe they let Danny Playoff Amendola go. Disgusting.
Can you define never stays healthy ? He played in 2 SB winning seasons . What is never in your dictionary? Does it mean 1 yr ? and you use the word "disgusting" - have you seen our cap room ? You want to pay Danny whatever the fins paid and then also add sherman and nelson etc ? How do you manage the cap ?

We lost a WR and some posters have gone crazy. Imagine when Brady retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore