PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

“Trevor. Jax Jets or withdraw from draft”

Meanwhile the freaking Chicago bears are trying to trade for Russell Wilson.
But yeah, Cam, that’s the way to go
Let’s see what the Patriots do in the draft
Newton with Fields, Lance, Wilson, Mond, Mills would be a good Qb room
We still could bring in Marcus or Mitch to compete with Cam.

I don't know how you convince a veteran to sign here when they know that Cam is Bill's guy. Everyone saw what Cam put on tape last year and yet Bill still brought him back. If I am a veteran QB looking for a job I don't know if I would truly get a fair shot here.

A one-year contract for a returning player where the majority of the contract consists of NLTBE incentives does not scream "starter, period."

In terms of job security, this is a lot closer to the deal Ryan Allen signed in 2019 than the one Gostkowski signed in 2010.
This is the same deal he received last year but with a raise and even more incentives. Only difference, it happened in March instead of July. Cam is starting, period.

Note: for those of you that melted down over this and are now "hoping" this means Bill drafts a QB in the 1st round, please start preparing yourselves for a massive letdown. Maybe take an extra room, pad it and stock it full of tranquilizers. You're going to need it.

There will be no competition. Bill brought Cam to be the starter.

I don't have the personal hate for Cam the person that some posters seem to, but in 2020 Cam had a dead arm. He was 100% washed up.

Another one of those signs that people have no idea what they are talking about is when they say Cam had an issue with his arm. His arm was fine, the footwork on the other hand completely melted down wrecking havoc on his entire throwing mechanics.

At this point there is a PhD level of X/O analysis on this on matter out there. And some extra kudos to the people like @KontradictioN who pointed to his legs being shot midway through last season.

Of course there is.
Newton who expects to be a starter would not have signed here before even checking with any other teams if belichick said he had plans to bring in veterans (and probably even if he says he was drafting a QBs in round 1).
Newton sacrificed his free agency to take this job, he doesn’t do that unless he knows he is expected to be the starter.
I agree. BB has penciled in Cam Newton as the Patriots starter in 2021 for better or for worse. He has bought into Cam Newton.
You have to realize that BB absolutely LOVES reclamation projects. He got hooked when he hit the jackpot with the Randy Moss reclamation project. But he has tried on other great players over the years, with mixed results. But the 'bargain shopper' side of BB just loves to reclaim a player who has failed, but could be great again if BB can just 'FIX' him back up!

Should the Patriots skip drafting a QB now that they have Cam Newton? No that would be absolute foolishness. Maybe Newton will become great again but there's also a huge chance that his arm never comes back to life and we see more wide open passes nosedive into the ground at the receiver's feet.

If the Patriots don't invest a top pick in a QB in the 2021 draft, I would be shocked. If that happens BB the GM will have truly sabotaged BB the head coach.

Can we pay him with a bag o balls?:maybenot:

The bottom line is that we aren’t getting a top QB in the draft, if we do anything at all. We aren’t getting one at top 15. If we don’t end up with Jimmy, which looks unlikely, this is a massive disaster. There’s no way around it. I like Cam but he is washed and can’t pass the ball.

Im sorry but if Cam is our starting QB on week 1 you are legitimately asking whether Belichick should still be here anymore. then again the Kraft’s must’ve signed onto this.

It's not about can't get a top QB, it's about, does BB have the guts and the drafting insight to pull the trigger and move up for a good QB prospect.

Patrick Mahomes was selected #10 overall. Deshaun Watson was selected #12 overall. Those draft positions are all within trade up distance from #15. This draft could be one of the BEST drafts for QB ever in recent memory with up to 5 guys graded as 1st round talents.

I don't give BB a chance in hell to draft a good WR after his FAIL evaluation of N'Keal Harry making it in the NFL.

BUT BB hasn't yet proven that he can't succeed by drafting a QB high. But he's just never had to do it yet because he lucked into Brady at pick #199.

Without the GOAT from the 6th round, what can you do now BB? Balls in your court. Please make us proud. Cam Newton is a stop gap solution. But where is our QB of the future?

This is the same deal he received last year but with a raise and even more incentives. Only difference, it happened in March instead of July. Cam is starting, period.

Note: for those of you that melted down over this and are now "hoping" this means Bill drafts a QB in the 1st round, please start preparing yourselves for a massive letdown. Maybe take an extra room, pad it and stock it full of tranquilizers. You're going to need it.
I agree, Cam is now the 2021 starter. The only upside here is that its a 1 year deal And it should mean the Pats are going after a QB in the draft to take over in 2022. But I can skip the padded room , because I am also prepared for a QBless draft.

check me if I'm wrong but..... it seems to me that the Pats just signed a veteran QB and they are only on the deck to owe him 3;5MM if they move on from him before September, and only slightly more than that if he ends up being a back up, All in a year where they have the 3rd most cap room in the league.

Now IF what I said above is correct than I hope all the hand wringing and breast beating will come to an end. Cam is coming here and will have show that he is markedly better at ALL the aspects of the game to be a starter. Now that all the facts are on the table this deal becomes clear. If Cam can show he can lead the offense to the playoffs, then the Pats will have the bargain of FA. If he again (in TC) shows he remains "short hop" Cam, then he MIGHT be allowed to be a backup and provide lockerroom leadership.

Bottom LINE: this isn't some "impact" signing like I would call the Brown trade/ OR does it signal the the Pats are out of the QB market. If the Pats feel they can upgrade from Cam they can do it without a single tear. . This is a signing is just one small step on the way to fixing what WAS a broken offense
This is the same type of contract as last year, with a raise. These same arguments were made last year. History repeats itself.

@Rob0729 and @KontradictioN let’s just quit the argument yeah? (though tbh I got a good laugh out of it at the end there)

This is one of the weirdest mischaracterizations of BB I have seen in a while. BB the GM doesn't give a **** about anything but value, he is infamously ruthless and doesn't care about optics or how popular a decision makes him.

I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from here..

Nobody knows that because he was not a FA and the legal tampering period has not begun yet. This is just you speculating backwards based on a team friendly extension.
I didn't mis-characterize anything, Belichick said that quote himself. If you wanna call somebody out, call him out on it.

Nobody ever knows for a fact what happens with contract negotiations in the NFL, so if you don't want me to voice my opinion, you are going to have to stop acting like you know for a fact that another team was going to offer more too. If you think players' agents wait until FA to start before they start taking calls or talk to other teams about deals and contracts, I have a really nice bridge that I would love to sell to you.

This is the same type of contract as last year, with a raise. These same arguments were made last year. History repeats itself.
I will say this will ultimately go down as the worst non game day, day in my life as a football fan.
There was so much hope for this off season. So much opportunity to rebuild this team and it was all just flushed down the ****ter.

How do you know Cam is starting?

His contract makes him very cut-able; his guaranteed money is pretty insignificant - $4.9m, about 1/3 of the overall contract value. Even if he was kept on the roster, that's not a guarantee he's starting.

I'm not sure why you'd draw that conclusion with such certainty. Because it happened last season, therefore it will happen again? Each season is different.

Disappointing, but it does give them more leverage in finding a QB.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back