PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

It's not about can't get a top QB, it's about, does BB have the guts and the drafting insight to pull the trigger and move up for a good QB prospect.

Patrick Mahomes was selected #10 overall. Deshaun Watson was selected #12 overall. Those draft positions are all within trade up distance from #15. This draft could be one of the BEST drafts for QB ever in recent memory with up to 5 guys graded as 1st round talents.

I don't give BB a chance in hell to draft a good WR after his FAIL evaluation of N'Keal Harry making it in the NFL.

BUT BB hasn't yet proven that he can't succeed by drafting a QB high. But he's just never had to do it yet because he lucked into Brady at pick #199.

Without the GOAT from the 6th round, what can you do now BB? Balls in your court. Please make us proud. Cam Newton is a stop gap solution. But where is our QB of the future?
Bill answered “I pick cam”

How do you know Cam is starting?

His contract makes him very cut-able; his guaranteed money is pretty insignificant - $4.9m. Even if he was kept on the roster, that's no guarantee he's starting. I'm not sure why you'd draw that conclusion with such certainty.
Why would he sign now and forfeit his free agency if he wasn’t given assurances.
This is a guy who made no bones about his feeling that he should be a starter.

Another one of those signs that people have no idea what they are talking about is when they say Cam had an issue with his arm. His arm was fine, the footwork on the other hand completely melted down wrecking havoc on his entire throwing mechanics.

At this point there is a PhD level of X/O analysis on this on matter out there. And some extra kudos to the people like @KontradictioN who pointed to his legs being shot midway through last season.

Cam in his prime had one of the strongest arms in the NFL. He couldn't reach 55 yards last year on a hail mary & had numerous deep passes severely underthrown particularly to Byrd against the Broncos.

Disappointing, but it does give them more leverage in finding a QB.
I think it gives them less. It sets the bar. Don’t take my offer and you are stuck with Cam is different than don’t take my offer and you can find someone else.

besides we won’t be looking for another QB. BB clearly promised the starting job to cam or at least promised he won’t bring in real competition

The Patriots don’t win any Super bowls if it wasn’t for them both and the team as a whole.

I just saw a 43 year old brady win a SB with another coach.......So I think it's a little silly to say the patriots wouldn't have won ANY SB's without belichick. He literally just won without belichick..... and went through the best QBs in the league to do it.

Oh dear god...

Go Bucs
Bring back the XFL

I didn't mis-characterize anything, Belichick said that quote himself. If you wanna call somebody out, call him out on it.

Nobody ever knows for a fact what happens with contract negotiations in the NFL, so if you don't want me to voice my opinion, you are going to have to stop acting like you know for a fact that another team was going to offer more too. If you think players' agents wait until FA to start before they start taking calls or talk to other teams about deals and contracts, I have a really nice bridge that I would love to sell to you.

First of all BB definitely didn't say he is in love with Newton and you saying "would he do that to Newton" is a total ridiculous question that makes me question if you have been following this team for more than a year. Go check up on some of the infamous, ruthless moves BB has made through his tenure because you don't seem to know your Patriots history.

Connecting a quote of him saying he only will coach the players he wants to coach to this situation is just a demonstration of your confirmation bias because it has nothing to do with Newton. But of course since you are already convinced of some bizarre narrative that BB somehow has a crush on his QB to the point where he doesn't care about production you think it means something. Maybe we should check if Bill has a tattoo of Newton on his arm, although this is most likely a reference you won't get.

Finally, don't give me any of this **** of "nobody knows for fact". You are the one who claimed Cam couldn't find any other team offering him more money, even though he is under contract for a team that has repeatedly contacted the league office in the last decade because of tampering. You are just speculating and putting a nice bow of "aww shucks nobody really knows" around your baseless speculation.

Deal with your confirmation bias then we can have a actual conversation. If you are just here to have some bozos confirm your priors then put me on ignore.

A one-year contract for a returning player where the majority of the contract consists of NLTBE incentives does not scream "starter, period."

In terms of job security, this is a lot closer to the deal Ryan Allen signed in 2019 than the one Gostkowski signed in 2010.
He’s for sure going to have to earn it. Hopefully it’ll be much better competition than Stidham and Hoyer, neither of whom should be in the NFL.

Cam in his prime had one of the strongest arms in the NFL. He couldn't reach 55 yards last year on a hail mary & had numerous deep passes severely underthrown particularly to Byrd against the Broncos.

And when his footwork sync'd up he hit a homerun to Byrd against the Texans. Lazar and others (like Taylor Kyles on Twitter) have gone through all this with tape. There is a reason he was statistically one of the better deep throwers last year as much as people don't want to believe it.

And when his footwork sync'd up he hit a homerun to Byrd against the Texans. Lazar and others (like Taylor Kyles on Twitter) have gone through all this with tape. There is a reason he was statistically one of the better deep throwers last year as much as people don't want to believe it.
His pocket awareness has gotta improve. I don’t remember it being this bad in Carolina. Hopefully another year in the system helps.

After reading Jeff Howes column, it's not all that bad. They still could sign mariota to compete, still could trade for Jimmy near the draft. And still are looking at trading up for the top prospects.
Why are you so hooked on Mariota? The guy is so inconsistent it's ridiculous. Look at his actual game logs. He's all over the place. Look at how much the Titans changed when they went to Tannehill despite Mariota putting up some numbers..

Other than his age of 28, what is there about Mariota that you think would benefit the Pats?

I’m a fan of Lazar’s work but I’ll pass on the Kyle. Regardless, it’s common knowledge that Cam’s arm has been diminished since his shoulder injury.

Why are you so hooked on Mariota? The guy is so inconsistent it's ridiculous. Look at his actual game logs. He's all over the place. Look at how much the Titans changed when they went to Tannehill despite Mariota putting up some numbers..

Other than his age of 28, what is there about Mariota that you think would benefit the Pats?
Gotta hope that one game last season is who he is now because he’s been largely mediocre.

An excessive amount of hand wringing here it seems. It's March 12th...the season doesn't start till September 9th. A lot of things will happen before then.

His pocket awareness has gotta improve. I don’t remember it being this bad in Carolina. Hopefully another year in the system helps.

I think even a fraction of a second of thinking as a QB is a killer in today's NFL. You either get sacked, start to run around like a headless chicken or force a bad throw. And while in 2011 Newton was able to get out of those situation with his athleticism I think a decade later he will have to use his brain and have more trust into the system.

Hopefully as you are saying more time with the offense will decrease that gap between what he sees and how he reacts and lets him do things like dump-offs or throws to outlets more instinctively. Our TEs were open frequently in the flat last year and he rarely went there. He finally did against the Jets in the season finale and it resulted in Asiasi's first TD.

i dunno, he drew some nice helmet to helmet flags standing back there

Posters talking about testing free agency.... Question: how do players like Cam and JJ Watt sign now before Free Agency period starts? Is it just players who are not waiting for a 2020 contract to expire?
Players who are CUT are "Street Free Agents" and can sign with anyone at any time.
Players who are Free Agents (Restricted or Unrestricted) can re-sign at any point in time after the end of the season (SB) and the start of the new league season.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back