PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

I think Cam is the starter, period. Bill knows what he has in him and McD probably told him he can get him straightened out with a full offseason, OTAs, TC.
I don’t think Josh had anything to do with it. I think it’s a pure Bill move only.

When has Brady ever carried a bad offense/team to a championship? You’ve never quite been able to answer that.

You sound like a Colts fan circa 2001-2010 now.

The Bucs scored 30+ PPG in all three games. They also could have very easily put up a 40-burger against KC had they not obviously taken their foot off the gas. Anyone who knows what they are looking at, which quite obviously is not you, could see that. Not a top 5 effort by them, but they were playing it safe once they got a big lead.

Yeah? You didn’t seem to have any problem doing that all these years when he was here and you were comparing him to Manning or, later, Rodgers. What’s changed? That’s a rhetorical question, by the way. We all know what changed. You know, you build character when you can just admit that you were wrong and the take was pure crap. You’d also save yourself a lot of aggravation and time. People would have more respect for ya. Doubling down on what was obviously a failed point is only more embarrassing and something I’d doubt you do if you weren’t behind a computer screen.

Hell, I made a **** call about the 2018 team’s chances to win a title and ate my crow. I was wrong about that. Didn’t make any excuses. Didn’t move any goal posts. Didn’t contort myself into talking points in a desperate attempt to show that I was really right even though they won. Just apologized to a few people for roasting their balls in a thread and celebrated being wrong. Moved on quickly. But then again, I have no issue with admitting when I have a **** take. That’s why it’s so fun to tee off on those who do. In this case, it’s the same one liner over and over again that obviously gets you seeing red

Without Marpet? Sure. With Marpet, he shredded the blitz as per usual. Think I’m wrong? Feel free to pull those splits.

Yeah, I don’t blame you. Not a top 5 performance in this thread. Drop the subject and live to fight another day.

I said I am moving on from this crap. I gave you your response and you can have the last word on the subject. Didn't even bother reading this post. Hope you didn't spend too much time writing it.

I said I am moving on from this crap. I gave you your response and you can have the last word on the subject. Didn't even bother reading this post. Hope you didn't spend too much time writing it.
Probably in the top 5 of the longest (by time) posts I’ve ever written.

Maybe you’re right.

I’ve been very curious to why Cam’s play dropped off so much. Go back to his first three games and people here were excited and talking about extending him. I don’t know why he got so much worse, but I will give his coach, who I think is the greatest football coach ever, the benefit of doubt. I don’t make the decisions. All I can do is root for the team or mouth off to friends or to people on a blog. I’m going to root for Cam, Belichick, and the Patriots.
He didn’t drop off he was the same guy.
He threw for 155 yards against the dolphins.
he was bad against the Raiders throwing for 168 yards and a terrible pick but we had 3 takeaways abs Sony ran wild.
Against Seattle and one of the worst defenses ever, he put 10 points on the board through 3 quarters fell behind them put up a bunch yards thanks to Edelman going crazy against no coverage and ultimately choked at the end of the game.

He was never good at any point.

That PR and messaging is all nice and well but the reality is that there is only a 3.5M hit the Pats would take if they release Newton before the season starts. If an opportunity comes up to add another vet QB to the roster and have a QB competition it will be on Newton to win that starting job.

The team has so much cap space that there is nothing holding them back from signing another QB at around the same compensation level.
That is true, but it really isn't about the money with Cam. At least from my perspective, BB quite simply loves Cam. I am not sure why, but he just does. So, sure, we can cut Cam and get someone else in but would BB do that to Cam? Can he get past his own preference when it comes to "only want to coach players I want to coach" and make a cold hearted business decision? I have my doubts about that.

Digging deep now saying Josh Allen was better than Tom Brady this year was just downright disrespectful.

No kidding. Such a terrible move to bring him back.
People don’t even realize how bad. It’s season destroying. Now we will stop looking for a QB. What FA WR would come here now? I guess the next signing is Byrd for 9 mill a year.
And even worse I fear one of the conditions newton needed to sign here without even testing free agency was being promising to not draft a QB in round 1.

The only way newton signs here before testing FA after saying he should be a starter is if he asked belichick the plans and belichick led him to believe it’s his job.

$5M cap hit for a starter who can't throw is more tolerable than a $14M hit....in the same way that walking over glass barefoot is more tolerable than getting set on fire.

He didn’t drop off he was the same guy.
He threw for 155 yards against the dolphins.
he was bad against the Raiders throwing for 168 yards and a terrible pick but we had 3 takeaways abs Sony ran wild.
Against Seattle and one of the worst defenses ever, he put 10 points on the board through 3 quarters fell behind them put up a bunch yards thanks to Edelman going crazy against no coverage and ultimately choked at the end of the game.

He was never good at any point.

I don’t know. To my eyes, there was a huge difference and Bill Belichick likes him. I’m going to lean in Bill’s direction.

His contract—at most 25% of which is guaranteed—suggests otherwise.
His contract is a reflection of the fact that nobody else wants to sign him for meaningful money. Purely from an on field performance perspective, did Cam's performance last year even warrant a backup job anywhere? I would be very happy to be proven wrong here, but BB does seem to have a real obsession with this guy and the idea that he would just cut Cam or bench him if he plays like garbage, well, I just don't know what part of their history together would suggest that.

4.9 million. Could have been spent on a very good DT. Could have been added to the we/te budget.
4.9 mill first year cap hit turns from an average player to a superstar.
4.9 million extra first year cap hit is 25 million extra guaranteed money on a 5 year contract.
4.9 million pissed away for a guy we can’t win with.
Truly disgusting.

I don’t know. To my eyes, there was a huge difference and Bill Belichick likes him. I’m going to lean in Bill’s direction.
Your eyes aren’t lying about how bad he was most if they year but they are that he was any better earlier.

Digging deep now saying Josh Allen was better than Tom Brady this year was just downright disrespectful.

Psst! Josh Allen finished second in MVP voting and got votes for offensive player of the year. And Brady wasn't first in either voting. So I am not the only one who thought Allen had a better season than Brady.

That is true, but it really isn't about the money with Cam. At least from my perspective, BB quite simply loves Cam. I am not sure why, but he just does. So, sure, we can cut Cam and get someone else in but would BB do that to Cam? Can he get past his own preference when it comes to "only want to coach players I want to coach" and make a cold hearted business decision? I have my doubts about that.

This is one of the weirdest mischaracterizations of BB I have seen in a while. BB the GM doesn't give a **** about anything but value, he is infamously ruthless and doesn't care about optics or how popular a decision makes him.

I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from here..

His contract is a reflection of the fact that nobody else wants to sign him for meaningful money

Nobody knows that because he was not a FA and the legal tampering period has not begun yet. This is just you speculating backwards based on a team friendly extension.

We saw last year how wrong bill is about this guy.
Unfortunately he seems incapable of admitting it and ****ed up another season by doubling down on insanity.

This is one of the weirdest mischaracterizations of BB I have seen in a while. BB the GM doesn't give a **** about anything but value, he is infamously ruthless and doesn't care about optics or how popular a decision makes him.

I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from here..

Nobody knows that because he was not a FA and the legal tampering period has not begun yet. This is just you speculating backwards based on a team friendly extension.
Today’s work singlehandedly refutes your belief.

It’s too bad we didn’t wait until he was a free agent and no one wanted him. Then we wouldn’t have had to promise him a starting job that no other sane coach would.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back