PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler could still go to NO - here's how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianPat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
New Orleans offers a cap friendly, but market fair contract to Malcolm Butler. Patriots do not match it, even if they could, because of a prior wink wink arrangement with New Orleans. Butler signs with New Orleans and Patriots get their first round pick back.
Butler has not signed the tender yet. (Nor he should, until he gauges the market.) I feel that there might be quite a bit of haggling going on between NO and MB's agent. Let things cool a bit before making the offer?
This scenario is pure speculation on my part. I got the chills when I read that Butler was not a part of the Cooks trade. I love MB. He is Ty Lawesque. I would love it if some poster can point out that this scenario is not feasible.

I've read it's possible we traded them the third just so they could give it back for butler

Is that possible?

Yeah, I still think Butler is headed to NO. I can't imagine the Saints got fleeced that bad. Wasn't it reported that they turned down like the #14 pick for Cooks. There has to be more to it.

What are you talking about if any team can convince Malcolm to sign a cap friendly deal then you match it in heart beat. There is no wink wink like this I promise.

Butler could still be on the move and NO could still be interested but whatever happens we will get a fair deal for him not some favor returned to someone for something that wasn't a bargain to begin with.

New Orleans offers a cap friendly, but market fair contract to Malcolm Butler. Patriots do not match it, even if they could, because of a prior wink wink arrangement with New Orleans. Butler signs with New Orleans and Patriots get their first round pick back.

Nope. By NFL rules, the Saints must give up their own first-rounder if they sign Butler to an offer sheet, since it's higher than NE's.

There's no mystery. The Saints could make him an offer as a RFA that we don't match and get their #1. Or he could get no offers, sign the tender and then be traded.

What are you talking about if any team can convince Malcolm to sign a cap friendly deal then you match it in heart beat. There is no wink wink like this I promise.
Pats will match cap friendly deal from any team other than the Saints. That's the wink wink part.

I wish we could keep him but i got a feeling he will be moved in the end.

Pats will match cap friendly deal from any team other than the Saints. That's the wink wink part.
Oh I got what you said its just dumb. Sorry to be blunt. If they wanted to insist Butler be included just take the time to line up the deal properly and pull the trigger once Butler can be included. There was no wink wink.

They could have talked about Butler being part and then didn't end up going down that path. Or maybe they held separate discussions about Butler. But some awkward wink wink did not happen period.

Nope. By NFL rules, the Saints must give up their own first-rounder if they sign Butler to an offer sheet, since it's higher than NE's.

I don't think that's how it would play out.

The Saints wouldn't sign him to an offer sheet. Butler would sign his tender with the Pats, then they trade him to the Saints for #32. At that point, they wouldn't be required to give up #11 from what I'd assume.

I don't want it to happen, but it's in play.

I've read it's possible we traded them the third just so they could give it back for butler

Is that possible?

And why on earth are we gonna trade butler for a third round pick we already had?

I'm not impressed

And why on earth are we gonna trade butler for a third round pick we already had?

I'm not impressed
It was a theory

Just that because Butler wasn't available to be traded yet, Bill and the Saints had an agreement that when he was signed he'd be sent over for the pick back

I don't think that's how it would play out.

The Saints wouldn't sign him to an offer sheet. Butler would sign his tender with the Pats, then they trade him to the Saints for #32. At that point, they wouldn't be required to give up #11 from what I'd assume.

I don't want it to happen, but it's in play.

I'm talking about the OP's scenario, which posits an offer sheet.

It's seems to be becoming apparent that Butler will not be a member of the Patriots by the end of 2017. I'm thinking he'll be gone even before the season opener.

If I was NO I wouldn't do it for a first.

That is cause you are not winning this year with or without Butler. They have more work to do. Why trade a first for a guy who will be a FA next year possibly? Other CBs will shake loose next year. Just wait a year and keep your first round pick and go all in next year.

And the Saint lose the 11th pick for that? Why would Butler sign a team-friendly deal with the Saints? He could get that here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back