PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler For Cooks Deal Being Hashed Out Between NE-NO

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTHING that Butler has actually said would make you think he's the LEAST bit "disgruntled" or likely to be a problem in the locker room. You just seem like you are totally buying into the media hype, luuked.

IMHO I don't see the problem with him being here for this season. In fact I see it as an opportunity for the Pats to have their best secondary in their history, or at least one of the top 3. That is certainly worth more than another WR, regardless of talent

I am not buying into anything. I am just saying that you need to consider the risk that at some point he could potentially become a liability (e.g. unhappy with spending a lot of time in the slot which might reduce his market value).

Again I don't think he necessarily is the same whiny ***** as Collins was but there are things to weigh.

I worked with a former pro football player for a few years and I found out that the players are not like that when it comes to salaries. They actually support other players who make a big score. There's also a big difference in the togetherness of a pro locker room compared to some other workplaces.

That's touching. Does it apply to the situation where the guy that's making 3x less is the same age and plays the same position as the higher earner, is a 2x SB champ and is directly responsible for 1 SB title while the other guy hasn't been to the playoffs? Does it apply when the higher earner is from another team and therefore no friendship bond has formed between the higher and lower earner?

That's touching. Does it apply to the situation where the guy that's making 3x less is the same age and plays the same position as the higher earner, is a 2x SB champ and is directly responsible for 1 SB title while the other guy hasn't been to the playoffs? Does it apply when the higher earner is from another team and therefore no friendship bond has formed between the higher and lower earner?

If your company had offered you something like the 3x your salary guy and you said "No Thanks. I'm looking elsewhere" what's the beef?

If your company had offered you something like the 3x your salary guy and you said "No Thanks. I'm looking elsewhere" what's the beef?

There would be none. Is that what happened here?

So what's the latest? When is cooks coming to NE? I want this kid bad. Cooks fits our system perfectly, but he adds a special dimension. He can catch a 5 yard pass and it 90 yards for the TD.

Well, if I was being paid barely enough to keep a roof over my head and food on the table, and the company hired a guy from outside and paid him 3x as much for doing the same job, I might be a little resentful.

OTOH, if I've just gone from being paid 15x the U.S. median wage to 90x the U.S. median wage, I probably wouldn't even be paying attention. But maybe that's just me.

so what if BB does agree to trade Butler for Cooks. Sean Payton would want Butler to agree to an extension..they try to work a out a contract and can't because butler's agent is overvalueing Butler as a restricted free agent. No trade. In this scenario...doesn't Butler then realize he better take what the Pats were offering?...or play for $4m with the chance of injury?

Am amazed at all the Butler contract talk. He is a RFA and was offered the 1st round tender. End of story. The Sox just re-upped Mookie Betts for $950K and there has been no media uproar. The system is the system. All football players that out perform their draft position are underpaid until they hit free agency. Is happening to Trey Flowers ,David Andrews, Malcolm Mitchel...... right now as well. When their time comes they will have a chance to make the big money.

Freaking Saints are like the drunk guy at the bar "one more"
I'm sure tomorrow they'll decide on what to do with cooks:rolleyes:

Contracts are everything and players know that. Although it seems Butler's amateur agent doesn't. RFA vs. UFA, yeah that's important when drawing out contracts.

Any chance that future posts be limited to real news? Nothing today has been of any real interest or, frankly, post-worthy.

Would you be a good soldier if you are outperforming the guy in the next cubicle and he is making more than 3x your salary? I know I wouldn't. The fact that we are talking bigger salaries doesn't change the principle.
You are entirely missing the point. If the guy in the next cubical waited 5 years to qualify for that bigger salary, how can you be pissed when you only have 3 years in.

THAT's the point so many people are missing. Malcolm Butler doesn't have the time in to qualify as an UFA. He hasn't EARNED the right to get the big bucks. How can be be pissed at that. NEXT year he will be able to command the big bucks. That's the way the system works. Why would he resent it. It would be totally selfish of him, and Butler never struck me as a selfish person.

All I see are selfish mediots trying to project a complaint on a guy who has nothing to complain about. Just 3 years ago this guy was working at Freakin' Popeyes. After this season he will have earned over $6MM and be in line to easily double that the next year.

Again....tell me why would he resent Gilmore who waited FIVE years to "get paid". He paid his dues.

Last edited:
You are entirely missing the point. If the guy in the next cubical waited 5 years to qualify for that bigger salary, how can you be pissed when you only have 3 years in.

THAT's the point so many people are missing. Malcolm Butler doesn't have the time in to qualify as an UFA. He hasn't EARNED the right to get the big bucks. How can be be pissed at that. NEXT year he will be able to command the big bucks. That's the way the system works. Why would he resent it. It would be totally selfish of him, and Butler never struck me as a selfish person.

All I see are selfish mediots trying to project a complaint on a guy who has nothing to complain about. Just 3 years ago this guy was working at Freakin' Popeyes. After this season he will have earned over $6MM and be in line to easily double that the next year.

Again....tell me why would he resent Gilmore who waited FIVE years to "get paid". He paid his dues.
Thats America. Fight for entitlement s when entitlement should not exist

It doesn't work like that. There are guys in other cubicles that started at the same time, underperform and are paid more. Factor that in too. That's why some team can pay him what Gilmore got (or slightly less because they might lost a 1st round pick.)

You don't know that, and if you believe the rumors to be true, BB would disagree with you.

BB just paid a CB who pats fans made fun of last year 40million guaranteed. He didn't offer butler anywhere near that. What does this say?

Who's talking about rumors? Not me. I heard Brady tell Malcolm Butler "I love you man" after SB 49. He also told him "you did it Malcolm" as he gave him a giant hug and later handed him the keys to the MVP truck. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Brady does care more about Butler than Cooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents