PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Convert Butler to Safety a Possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the Larry Fitzgerald thread but I think it's appropriate here:

No.

No. No. No. No. No. NO!

No.

As the experts have spoken and declared the proposed CB to FS move a "terrible idea".... I will look at the OP's post as an "I love Malcolm" thread.
Malcolm Butler makes huge plays:
By aggressively slamming D Jackson to the ground on the first play of the final TB drive, he knocked out Tampa's best playing making WR out for a couple of plays. If this does not happen, it's possible we lose that game.

No.

With my incomplete understanding of the Xs and Os my guess if this is indeed a terrible idea it is because Butler is too good of a CB to waste as a Safety.

Also what exactly do you mean by waste as a safety?

Are you suggesting that playing safety is in some way inferior or less important than CB?

Last edited:
What will your answer be when BB doesn't offer butler a 5 year 65 million dollar contract next offseason?

Butler is gone. The moment Gilmore was signed. At this point he wont even get the same contract offer as last offseason. Someone will definitely offer more and he will be on his way.

No.

Also what exactly do you mean by waste as a safety?

Are you suggesting that paying safety is in some way inferior or less important than CB?

As I've pointed out, I've a pretty limited knowledge of the Xs and Os side of things.

Ignorance expressed, it's been my impression that Safeties are much easier to find than CBs in that the skills needed to be a good CB are more specialized/rare. I was guessing this was the biggest knock against the idea however speculative.

But between Butlers obvious relish in laying the wood, his feisty physicality and the possible divide in money between him and the front office I was just wondering if there wasn't another way to keep Butler here and make everyone happy.

Would it surprise me that Belichick wants to hybridize the safety position and have players than can do both... not at all.

But like I said, some of The when and why you convert a CB to a Safety is unknown to me, thus the question.

What will your answer be when BB doesn't offer butler a 5 year 65 million dollar contract next offseason?

That BB is a smart man, Butler is a good CB but not top tier, he seems to be struggling more this year.

Some other team will offer him that much money and he will have subsequent issues, as the Pats excel on hiding a players deficits and know how to maximize their strengths..

Read somewhere the other day, Logan Ryan who played well here, has a Defensive Passer Rating of 149 as a Tennessee CB which is pretty much ****ting the bed territory..

Moving Malcolm to safety doesn't seem like a prudent thing to do.

I don't really understand the point of converting Butler to safety. He has excelled in man-to-man, but never really stood out as a zone player like McCourty did before making the transition. I'm not saying he can't do it, but his skill-set and short-area quickness/recovery speed really help as a corner.

But for those who have mentioned size, it's worth noting he's listed at 5'11, 190, which is more than Honey Badger (5'9, 186). The Cardinals also spent a 2nd round pick on Budda Baker, who is 5'10, 195.

By your reasoning, Tom Brady is not even a top 10 qb in the NFL. smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick