PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns coaching staff “irate” with FO over Garoppolo trade

I can’t imagine Belichick wanting to wait around on a front office who has already left for Happy Hour, especially when that group is on the same team he has a distaste for.

It’s a combination of things - first of all, the second rounder is gonna be a really high one so it’s pretty good compensation. Second of all, he has shown in the last couple days that he really personally liked Jimmy and so he most likely was considering the best situation for Jimmy as well. It seems clear that SF is a better situation - at the very least, he can be confident that the HC and GM will remain in place for a while, allowing Jimmy to grow in the role. Plus they are out of the conference. So weigh all that against Cleveland who wasn’t even there to answer the phone, fired Belichick once upon a time, and is a seemingly more chaotic environment for the player, and it probably made for an easy decision for BB.
The browns that fired BB are now the ravens. He has no ties to THIS Browns organization

This tweet seems unreliable to me btw.

The browns that fired BB are now the ravens. He has no ties to THIS Browns organization

This tweet seems unreliable to me btw.

Agreed, but I think it's likely BB wanted JG out of the conference and away from a spot where he could be united with Josh McDaniels at the end of the year.

Is AJ McCaron really going to be that hard to get in FA? That would have been a crazy deal.

It takes a lot of work to get as bad as the Browns. They must take "No Days Off" in their effort to continually spiral downwards. Kind of admirable in a really sick way.

Agreed, but I think it's likely BB wanted JG out of the conference and away from a spot where he could be united with Josh McDaniels at the end of the year.
Why would he care about the conference and why would he worry about the browns.

I can’t imagine Belichick wanting to wait around on a front office who has already left for Happy Hour, especially when that group is on the same team he has a distaste for.

It’s a combination of things - first of all, the second rounder is gonna be a really high one so it’s pretty good compensation. Second of all, he has shown in the last couple days that he really personally liked Jimmy and so he most likely was considering the best situation for Jimmy as well. It seems clear that SF is a better situation - at the very least, he can be confident that the HC and GM will remain in place for a while, allowing Jimmy to grow in the role. Plus they are out of the conference. So weigh all that against Cleveland who wasn’t even there to answer the phone, fired Belichick once upon a time, and is a seemingly more chaotic environment for the player, and it probably made for an easy decision for BB.

Agreed. I just listened to part of a "GM Street" podcast with Mike Lombardi (who I think is the best media source on BB, having worked with him several times) and others. He thinks that BB has real affection for JimmyG. Lombardi certainly shares that affection, he acted completely crushed about the trade because it means there is no long-term succession plan for the Patriots. Lombardi thinks that BB did a big favor to JimmyG by trading him to the best quarterback developer/whisperer in the game today in Kyle Shanahan, he thinks Jimmy G will develop into at least a solid starter under Shanahan. He has a point, the difference between Matt Ryan's MVP year last year under Shanahan and today is really marked, and he took other back-up quarterbacks such as Kirk Cousins and Matt Schaub and turned them into solid starters at Washington and Houston.

Lombardi has been wrong about the talent and potential of Patriot backups before (most notably Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett) it will be interesting to see if JimmyG develops into a star under Shanahan like Lombardi thinks he will.

Last edited:
(A) They probably still wouldn't have outbid the 49ers. (B) The 49ers have the added advantage of being in the other conference.
To add (C): Lombardi said on the most recent GM Street podcast that the Browns are extremely annoying / difficult to deal with because they have decentralized decision-making in the front office. They're busy checking with each other / the owner to do whatever it is they do before committing to a plan of action. With SF, Belichick probably worked the deal out directly with Kyle Shanahan.

If you can get the Browns to offer more in the end, I don't see why you wouldn't put up with them hemming and hawing and having to go ask Dad for $40 and the keys to the convertible. So the fact that the Browns weren't even contacted tells me they'd been trying to buy Jimmy for cents on the dollar this spring - which is another thing Lombardi said on the same podcast (i.e., they have the reputation of offering 30 cents on the dollar in trades).

Take this analysis from Lombardi with a grain of salt, of course, given that he was previously fired as GM of the Browns.

To add (C): Lombardi said on the most recent GM Street podcast that the Browns are extremely annoying / difficult to deal with because they have decentralized decision-making in the front office. They're busy checking with each other / the owner to do whatever it is they do before committing to a plan of action. With SF, Belichick probably worked the deal out directly with Kyle Shanahan.

If you can get the Browns to offer more in the end, I don't see why you wouldn't put up with them hemming and hawing and having to go ask Dad for $40 and the keys to the convertible. So the fact that the Browns weren't even contacted tells me they'd been trying to buy Jimmy for cents on the dollar this spring - which is another thing Lombardi said on the same podcast (i.e., they have the reputation of offering 30 cents on the dollar in trades).

Take this analysis from Lombardi with a grain of salt, of course, given that he was previously fired as GM of the Browns.
Yeah, that's a great way to get better... annoy all the other teams, make decision-making difficult and cause everyone involved to feel like they're not individually capable of doing anything. Then, low-ball all the other teams constantly, and go home early during the trade deadline. I think great things are in Cleveland's future!

We know the browns front office is messed up, but why do the Patriots not make sure they contact an interested party like the Browns sooner or at least wait until morning?

It's not like Jimmy was traded on the deadline. It doesn't make sense.

The patriots wanted to trade with SF, so they called them. It was pretty clear that SF would either include Hoyer or release him. Also, they are in another conference. And no, the team didn't want to sentence JAG to CLE.

Is AJ McCaron really going to be that hard to get in FA? That would have been a crazy deal.

You are presuming that AJ will have one choice in free agency. Now, he will listen to offers and consider the benjamins.

Yeah, that's a great way to get better... annoy all the other teams, make decision-making difficult and cause everyone involved to feel like they're not individually capable of doing anything. Then, low-ball all the other teams constantly, and go home early during the trade deadline. I think great things are in Cleveland's future!

How any of them (the CLE front office) have kept their jobs after this trade deadline is pretty mysterious. I can't fathom the AJ McCarron thing. Not knowing JG had been traded until (seemingly) well after the regular posters on this forum knew is mind boggling. Both together are just utterly inexcusable.

Apparently Forbes values this stupid franchise at $1.95 billion - yet the clowns running its most important department (player personnel) can't execute a basic trade and show no initiative to improve their team near the trade deadline - apparently heading home at 5?

Here's a list of teams who should have wanted to get JG, in order:

Tankathon | 2018 NFL Draft Order

Yep, CLE is incompetent.

It's pretty clear BB didn't put JG up for sale to the highest bidder. BB knew what he could get in return and did JG a solid and put him in a place that he could succeed but was also far, far away from our division and would still need a few years to become a contender. Win-win for all concerned, except of course CLE.

How any of them (the CLE front office) have kept their jobs after this trade deadline is pretty mysterious. I can't fathom the AJ McCarron thing. Not knowing JG had been traded until (seemingly) well after the regular posters on this forum knew is mind boggling. Both together are just utterly inexcusable.

Apparently Forbes values this stupid franchise at $1.95 billion - yet the clowns running its most important department (player personnel) can't execute a basic trade and show no initiative to improve their team near the trade deadline - apparently heading home at 5?
The fans seem to think there's going to be a shake up.
What a mess!!

God is real. Hue Jackson is gone. (according to e-mails from #Browns coaching staff)

For the Browns, yes. I'm guessing the Browns are the last team McCaron, or any other competent QB, would want to go to.

You don't say?

eD8pnFQ.jpg

That photo is 4 years and 5 QB'S old. :D

Time for the Browns to nuke it. Again.

Haslam needs to sell the team. They need a complete house cleaning, and that includes ridding of the man who hires these new regimes.

Why on earth would he have a distaste for Browns 2.0? That team has literally nothing to do with the team that screwed him over (what is now the Ravens) other than its name.

Why on earth would he have a distaste for Browns 2.0? That team has literally nothing to do with the team that screwed him over (what is now the Ravens) other than its name.
Well, true. I forgot that.

We know the browns front office is messed up, but why do the Patriots not make sure they contact an interested party like the Browns sooner or at least wait until morning?

It's not like Jimmy was traded on the deadline. It doesn't make sense.

I agree with this. If you are the Pats it's in your best interesting to start a bidding war.

Since that's NOT what happened the only thing I can think of is that Bill badly wanted to see Jimmy go to an NFC team. Even then, though, a bidding war possibly could have resulted in a better return from SF.

Head scratcher for sure.

Edit: @mgteich , it's fine to disagree I'm just curious which part you take particular exception with.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back