PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos game postponed - (Moved to Sun 10/18 1:00pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how many of these players were sick? How many went to the hospital? How many went to the ICU? How many were completely asymptomatic?
Doesn't matter, the NFL does its own testing and decides who can play and who cannot based on its own rules made in consultation with NFLPA.

It’s your quintessential middle aged woman who feels the need to overtly complain about *something* frequently. Which somehow calling out the NFL for not having planned to deal with inevitable interruptions to a typical season schedule is now conflated to being Karen-esque.
Actually, that’s not it at all. Thought I made it pretty clear that I was referring to people who want to cancel the season. Next time, I’ll put emojis in there for easier understanding.

Chris Mortensen's Goodell HOF moment Tweet gets more laughable by the day.

RG is Jed Clampett. He build his house on an oil field and is becoming richer despite himself.

It’s your quintessential middle aged woman who feels the need to overtly complain about *something* frequently. Which somehow calling out the NFL for not having planned to deal with inevitable interruptions to a typical season schedule is now conflated to being Karen-esque.
Mike Florio is a proto-typical example.

1602882637204.jpeg

Actually, that’s not it at all. Thought I made it pretty clear that I was referring to people who want to cancel the season. Next time, I’ll put emojis in there for easier understanding.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it capitulated at some point, calling for it now is a bit preemptive. The 0 buffer added to schedule and owners wanting to avoid a Week 18 is laughable. The whole situation is ****ed. Carry on, I missed whoever you were talking to.

Reactions: Ian
Doesn't matter, the NFL does its own testing and decides who can play and who cannot based on its own rules made in consultation with NFLPA.
It certainly does matter. We have politicians and media telling us that this is a Plague that will wipe out civilization as we know it...we hear constant talk of "health and safety" of players... If they're not really sick and show zero symptoms, and perhaps have viral loads so low they can't even transmit....is very important, and would give credence to those who think we, as a country, should just "play through" and protect the old and infirm while the rest of us live our lives normally

It certainly does matter. We have politicians and media telling us that this is a Plague that will wipe out civilization as we know it...we hear constant talk of "health and safety" of players... If they're not really sick and show zero symptoms, and perhaps have viral loads so low they can't even transmit....is very important, and would give credence to those who think we, as a country, should just "play through" and protect the old and infirm while the rest of us live our lives normally
Nice narrative, but it isn't gonna change whether or not the Patriots play the Broncos this week.

1. It is a pandemic which plague had been an informal synonym of for hundreds of years (the plague itself is a real virus). We actually coined the term quarantine during the Black Plague.

2. Nobody has ever said this will wipe out civilization as we know it, but it’s deadly and has lasting effects and as a society we need to take precautions until a vaccine is produced.

3. The Patriots hehe had multiple players catch it. The Titans has an outbreak. Clearly being an NFL player doesn’t mean they can’t transmit it. We already know most people will be fine, but when they are carriers they are dangerous and there is an incubation period. We already had a world class player like Von Miller say it was hell to go through.

4. football and all sports are a luxury. It’s a non essential job, if it can’t be done safely and you are risking lives it is not worth it. Right now the NFL has protocols. You don’t have protocols and you are guaranteeing it spreads through the league and some players and more than a few staff will die.

This isn’t complicated. Teams need to follow protocols, quarantine when someone gets it, and be vigilant. This won’t be a normal season. But we can have a season.

I see this thread teetering - let's not get off track arguing the severity, politics, etc. I think if nothing else we can all agree all of this completely sucks and it would be nice to have a season to take our minds off of things.

As for the game...the timing of this really stinks. Finding out on a Friday or a Saturday makes it challenging and they're going to have to be stringent this time around on the contact tracing to figure out who is a risk and - if it comes to it - isolate them and hold them out, regardless of who it is so we don't run into a situation like what happened the last time. Hopefully, at least that way the other players will be all right and things can move forward.

I will say, I would kind of like to know why it's at this point in the week where the positive tests seem to come out. Would be nice if they could trace it back to whatever day where the exposure took place and figure out how these players are getting exposed...it's just a little bizarre.

Also..I know we're not "supposed" to talk politics ...then why was this on the front page of a Pats forum earlier today?????see the top "latest Patriots media news"????Screenshot_20201016-121033.png

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Also..I know we're not "supposed" to talk politics ...then why was this on the front page of a Pats forum earlier today?????see the top "latest Patriots media news"????View attachment 28979
That’s actually a good question. A few of those have been sneaking through there and I’m planning on working on it tomorrow to see if I can filter them out.

I see this thread teetering - let's not get off track arguing the severity, politics, etc. I think if nothing else we can all agree all of this completely sucks and it would be nice to have a season to take our minds off of things.

As for the game...the timing of this really stinks. Finding out on a Friday or a Saturday makes it challenging and they're going to have to be stringent this time around on the contact tracing to figure out who is a risk and - if it comes to it - isolate them and hold them out, regardless of who it is so we don't run into a situation like what happened the last time. Hopefully, at least that way the other players will be all right and things can move forward.

I will say, I would kind of like to know why it's at this point in the week where the positive tests seem to come out. Would be nice if they could trace it back to whatever day where the exposure took place and figure out how these players are getting exposed...it's just a little bizarre.
Thinking further on this, one thought would be that Tuesday is typically an off day, but 3-4 days wouldn’t seemingly be enough time, especially since all the players tested negative prior to flying out to KC and Gilmore supposedly spent time with Cam Friday. Just definitely an odd situation. :confused:

Thinking further on this, one thought would be that Tuesday is typically an off day, but 3-4 days wouldn’t seemingly be enough time, especially since all the players tested negative prior to flying out to KC and Gilmore supposedly spent time with Cam Friday. Just definitely an odd situation. :confused:
Didn't you hear from Gilmore's wife? He didn't go out with Cam, he stayed in to scrapbook.

... those who think we, as a country, should just "play through" and protect the old and infirm while the rest of us live our lives normally
Therein lies the problem. It is not possible to both protect the old and infirm and also have everyone else live normally. Everyone else living normally subjects the old and infirm and everyone else to increased risk. That’s the way it is. It is what it is.

That‘s the same confused thinking that has the NFL attempting to play a full season without adding extra weeks into the season while also testing and isolating and canceling games because of positive tests. Those are two incompatible efforts.

There are lots of important drivers to motivate playing ($$$$$$). But no matter what precautions are taken there is still a risk of exposure to the virus. Realistically, the very factor that motivates playing, the economic impact, entails the involvement of many many people and that just increases the risk. The number of players and coaches, facilities staff, ball boys, it’s just not feasible to completely control the environment. But they have to try, and that just complicates things. Teams still have to travel, juggling the schedule is getting worse and worse. The big question now seems to be just how really bad does it have to get before the league bites the bullet and adds another week or two to the season. Or revamps the playoffs (could they do away with wild card games?). Or flat out cancels the rest of the season.

Getting CoVid and going on IR means getting paid whether or not the game gets played?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes