PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brett Favre leads the league in TD passes and QB rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Brett Favre leads the league in TD passes and QB Rating

Guy is still at the top.

I kind of get embarrassed when I see posters on this board calling Favre "washed up, should of stayed retired, etc." Guy is a phenomenal player still, despite the fact he plays for the Rats.

Everytime the guy throws an incomplete pass this board blowing up with "Aha, good ol' Favre, probably regretting being back now!" just...stop. As far as his INTs go he has the same amount (4) as Cutler, Rivers, Romo, Brees and Peyton Manning do right now.

They went 2-2 in the first four games, as they were predicted to in the pre-season.

Jets are still a huge threat to us in the AFC East and can still win the division.

Besides the Arizona game (and they were due to play like crap), Favre has been horrendous.

those td passes and that rating comes from the 2 quarters of garbage time he played against the Chargers, and him running up his own his stats against the Cardinals

Last edited:

Guy is still at the top.

I kind of get embarrassed when I see posters on this board calling Favre "washed up, should of stayed retired, etc." Guy is a phenomenal player still, despite the fact he plays for the Rats.

Everytime the guy throws an incomplete pass this board blowing up with "Aha, good ol' Favre, probably regretting being back now!" just...stop. As far as his INTs go he has the same amount (4) as Cutler, Rivers, Romo, Brees and Peyton Manning do right now.

They went 2-2 in the first four games, as they were predicted to in the pre-season.

Jets are still a huge threat to us in the AFC East and can still win the division.
props to favre

learning a new offense, i didn't think he'd be able to lead the nfl in tds and or qb rating within the first month of starting with NY

i'm glad my chargers beat his ass though

but that game he had last week was pretty epic

It's week 5. His stats are inflated due to one game, his INTs are right there.

It's funny, people were singing a whole different tune before this one game.

Guy is still at the top.

Most of this is pretty much fact. But why would anyone be embarrassed of how other posters think about a rival player?? He's no longer a Packer. The guy plays for the Jets. Some people simply wont have anything good to say about the man for that reason alone. That's not so hard to understand, is it? Sure the Jets are in the hunt and a threat. But some guys simply wont admit that. Theyre a hated, rival team by many, many fans. And props just dont come easy. But of course Favre still has it. He was 2nd in MVP voting last year to our guy. Played in the championship game. Has only lost this year to our guys and another of the top 4 or 5 teams in the NFL. Those 2 losses arent going to lead me to believe that the Jets suck. No shame in losing to the Pats and SD. But everyone is impressed with Favre, whether they admit or not. He's still a great, great player.

Last edited:

Favre had a great game, yes, but the season is so young individual stats are almost meaningless at this point. The sample size is so small that one good or bad game completely skews the numbers. Very true, Favre has the top QB rating at this point; and Peyton Manning is 24th and Matt Hasselbeck is 31st - should the Colts and Seahawks be looking to trade for the (higher rated) Matt Cassel because of those stats? Is Jerious Norwood now better than Brian Westbrook, or Julius Jones better than LaDainian Tomlinson; they have more total yards and a higher yardage per carry stat. The Colts are 1-2, are they headed for a double-digit loss season? The stats 'through 25% of the season' say they are!

Regardless of what the stats say today, I would say there is a better chance that Favre will lead the league in interceptions at the end of the season than leading the league in quarterback rating.

He will lead the leage in picks when it's all said and done also.:rolleyes:

He will lead the leage in picks when it's all said and done also.:rolleyes:

Favre has led the league in touchdowns 4 times, and he's only led the league in interceptions twice in 15 years as a starter.

Most of this is pretty much fact. But why would anyone be embarrassed of how other posters think about a rival player?? He's no longer a Packer. The guy plays for the Jets. Some people simply wont have anything good to say about the man for that reason alone. That's not so hard to understand, is it? Sure the Jets are in the hunt and a threat. But some guys simply wont admit that. Theyre a hated, rival team by many, many fans. And props just dont come easy. But of course Favre still has it. He was 2nd in MVP voting last year to our guy. Threw a horrible pick that cost his team the championship game. Has only lost this year to our guys and another of the top 4 or 5 teams in the NFL. Those 2 losses arent going to lead me to believe that the Jets suck. No shame in losing to the Pats and SD. But everyone is impressed with Favre, whether they admit or not. He's still a great, great player who can play extraordinarily horribly at times.

I fixed your post for you.

Last edited:

I fixed your post for you.

One could do almost precisely the same thing for Brady, or have you forgotten the AFCCG against the Colts?

One could do almost precisely the same thing for Brady, or have you forgotten the AFCCG against the Colts?

I'd use the Denver game as a better example of this, but your point stands. Still, my thought isn't that I don't think Brett Favre is a great QB, I'm just so unbelievably tired of hearing how much of a legend he is because he throws TD passes. People just kind of sweep the game costing mistakes (which he makes more often than Brady) under the rug.

I'd use the Denver game as a better example of this, but your point stands. Still, my thought isn't that I don't think Brett Favre is a great QB, I'm just so unbelievably tired of hearing how much of a legend he is because he throws TD passes. People just kind of sweep the game costing mistakes (which he makes more often than Brady) under the rug.

But he is a legend because of many things you insisted he doesn't have. He's clearly a tremendous leader, he's all about the intangibles as well as the 'tangibles', and he wins games. As for his interceptions, he makes a lot of them for the same reason a lot of cannon-arm quarterbacks have made them over the decades: they know that they can make throws others can't, so they take a lot more gambles. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't.

New England fans have become spoiled watching the G.O.A.T. performing for the past 6+ seasons, but even Brady has gas-piped in big games.

Last edited:

Props to Favre.

I had assumed NE was a shoe-in for the division but the Jets will be tough.

I'm sure NE beats them in the playoffs, if they face them there, but still Favre can be tough.

Do you think Cassel will be almost as good as Favre by the time the playoffs are around? I don't think he's there quite yet.

No, I haven't. That said, Favre has thrown far more picks--even percentagewise--than Brady has, and blown more leads than Brady has.

Do you have a clue when you post or just blindlessly defend your points? I understand any QB is capable of it, but Brady is nowhere near Favre in terms of **** ups. Also, the only playoff game Brady ever blew was the Denver game, he was downright horrible that night. But Indy? what game were you watching? The D was on the field more than the same offense. Favre is a good QB, but he's just wayy overrated. I've said this since he was a Packer, and him being a Jet doesn't make me say this. For years everyone just says "aw shucks, he throws it up there and just has a good ol' time"

I hate the whole hillbilly love fest america has with the guy. He constantly hurts his team, almost as much as he helps them. Is he good? Yes. Can he kill you over 50% of the time? Yes. Why do you think his team hasn't been back to the super bowl since 98?

Do you have a clue when you post or just blindlessly defend your points? I understand any QB is capable of it, but Brady is nowhere near Favre in terms of **** ups. Also, the only playoff game Brady ever blew was the Denver game, he was downright horrible that night. But Indy? what game were you watching? The D was on the field more than the same offense. Favre is a good QB, but he's just wayy overrated. I've said this since he was a Packer, and him being a Jet doesn't make me say this. For years everyone just says "aw shucks, he throws it up there and just has a good ol' time"

I hate the whole hillbilly love fest america has with the guy. He constantly hurts his team, almost as much as he helps them. Is he good? Yes. Can he kill you over 50% of the time? Yes. Why do you think his team hasn't been back to the super bowl since 98?

Here are the "fixes" that I was responding to:

Threw a horrible pick that cost his team the championship game.

and

who can play extraordinarily horribly at times.

I simply pointed out that you could say pretty much the same thing about Brady.

Now, you can continue to attack my response, for no valid reason, or you can simply remember the Denver playoff game and the Colts AFCCG game, and realize that Brady threw devastating picks in both games. As for the Colts game, I think tossing a pick when you're down by 4 points and you have a first down on the opponent's 45 yard line with 24 seconds to go is a bad idea: you seem to think it's not a problem. I guess we just differ on that one. I blame the defense for the loss, overall, but Brady's pick was the final blow.

Last edited:

General Sentiment of this board said:
Brady is nowhere near Favre in terms of **** ups

Brady is nowhere near anybody in interception per attempt percentage.

He has a 2.4% interception rate, well below Steve Young at 2.6% and Peyton Manning at 2.8%.

Favre, Aikman, Marino, Elway, Moon (listed in no particular order) and almost all other Hall of Fame QBs are in a range from 3.0 to 3.4%.

Most recent long-time mediocre QBs lie in a range from 3.5 to 4.0. Interception machines have over a 4.0% interception rate.

George Blanda, another Hall of Fame QB, had an interception rate of 6.9%. :eek:

(I apologize for the use of the smiley, I'm normally very miserly with those.)

If you are comparing ANY QB solely to Brady, as so many Patsfans do again and again, you will always come away with the impression that the other QB is a no-good interception-throwing machine.

Last edited:

I like Favre, but he is now a good QB, not a great one. If the "overrated" digs are directed at his career work, my only response is get a grip. He is 38 years old and has taken 15 years of beatings without missing a game. That is part of why fans flock to him. He is the ironman of the NFL and only a fool would overlook that point.

He was punished the 3 years prior to last year without a supporting cast and threw tons of interceptions trying to make that situation work. That team was bad, and his numbers reflected it.

Would I rather have Favre or Brady now (or even when Favre was in his prime)? Brady, without hesitation. But if you can remember the 1996 Super Bowl, Favre was Brady then. He is just older and has lost some of his skills through time and beatings.

As for those trumpeting Favre's stats, it is game 4. Numbers are numbers, but divide 4 by 16 and look up "statistically significant" in interpreting those stats. 4 games mean something, but they represent 1/4 of the season and as such do not mean Favre will end up having a good season career-wise. What the stats mean to date is so far, so good. I would bet the farm his great season balances out to a good or decent season.

As for the Colts game, I think tossing a pick when you're down by 4 points and you have a first down on the opponent's 45 yard line with 24 seconds to go is a bad idea: you seem to think it's not a problem. I guess we just differ on that one. I blame the defense for the loss, overall, but Brady's pick was the final blow.

Yeah, I wish we could have Reche Caldwell back again. Who's he with now?Every QB in the league would have scored on that drive cept one or two.;)

Re: OT: Brett Favre leads the league in TD passes and QB rating

I rate Favre a top 5 QB so far this year, Favre is exceeding expectations at this point, Who here thought he would of ever had a game like he did against the Cards as a Jet.

Favre brings lots to the Jets, the dreaded intangibles, Favre can inspire confindece, give the team a personality (his),confidence.

Couple of recent quotes from TE Criss baker and Damien Woody below the hash marks, these qoutes support my arguement and also show how the team is just now starting to gell. Jets could be a special team this year with Brett.

=======================================================

Favre “has really evolved” in the offense, tight end Chris Baker said, “and he’s obviously had to study a lot. He’s taking ownership and he understands what we’re trying to do and the concept of everything we’re doing. Obviously, we have incorporated some stuff that he likes and he used to do. There has been a lot of effort put into it and I guess you could say you saw some of that on Sunday with some of the results.”

Favre said he enjoys playing with his teammates, and the feeling obviously is mutual.

“Everybody knows he’s a great quarterback, a Hall of Fame quarterback,” Woody said. “He’s an even better person, a guy that likes to keep everything lively and loose, and I feel like we’re going to have a lot of fun this year. ... There was that adjustment period, but everybody is settled in. Brett is another guy on the team [whom] we really enjoy and enjoy playing with. Now it’s just time to roll.”

Last edited:
Re: OT: Brett Favre leads the league in TD passes and QB rating

I rate Favre a top 5 QB so far this year, Favre is exceeding expectations at this point, Who here thought he would of ever had a game like he did against the Cards as a Jet.

Favre brings lots to the Jets, the dreaded intangibles, Favre can inspire confindece, give the team a personality (his),confidence.

Couple of recent quotes from TE Criss baker and Damien Woody below the hash marks, these qoutes support my arguement and also show how the team is just now starting to gell. Jets could be a special team this year with Brett.

=======================================================

Favre “has really evolved” in the offense, tight end Chris Baker said, “and he’s obviously had to study a lot. He’s taking ownership and he understands what we’re trying to do and the concept of everything we’re doing. Obviously, we have incorporated some stuff that he likes and he used to do. There has been a lot of effort put into it and I guess you could say you saw some of that on Sunday with some of the results.”

Favre said he enjoys playing with his teammates, and the feeling obviously is mutual.

“Everybody knows he’s a great quarterback, a Hall of Fame quarterback,” Woody said. “He’s an even better person, a guy that likes to keep everything lively and loose, and I feel like we’re going to have a lot of fun this year. ... There was that adjustment period, but everybody is settled in. Brett is another guy on the team [whom] we really enjoy and enjoy playing with. Now it’s just time to roll.”

And when they actually face a defense that doesn't just stand around and look confused it will be the "offense is going through some growing pains argument".

Favre had one great game. Let's not get too far. Prior to last Sunday, I would have placed him as solid top 15-20 QB in the league this year. One game has radically changed a lot of people's impressions apparently, but even in his worst years Favre was able to put together a few All Pro caliber games. If he hucks the ball around like he did last Sunday, it is only a matter of time before he has a 3-4 INT game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots