PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lloyd had 911 yards in the season when Welker had 1354.

Anyway, in an offense with Gronk, (initially) Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and 3 RBs who can catch out of the backfield, you were expecting Cooks to rack up Randy Moss numbers?

Yardage wise, yes I did.

The fact that Brandin came back for that short pass from Brady (to catch on the 1 yard line) should tell you everything you need to know about the player. He understands the game, fights for it and just needs time to settle in.

Given the limited number of pad practices in the preseason, you need some real time reps to get in sync with any WR/QB combo (especially in this system) and if we are having this conversation after the bye, then maybe start to get a little concerned.

Anyway, in an offense with Gronk, (initially) Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and 3 RBs who can catch out of the backfield, you were expecting Cooks to rack up Randy Moss numbers?

Lloyd was a disappointment not because he only had 911 yards. But because he averaged only 12.3 yards/rec and caught only 56.5% of passes. Excluding 2007(when he had only 2 catches) that was the lowest of his career, and 2.7 yards lower than his career average. And even that 12.3 is inflated by the almost-comeback against SF when he had 10 for 190.

Basically Lloyd failed massively on the eye test, despite the relatively high number of yards.

I'm 100% convinced if Cooks had 5 TDs, 15 completions and 300 yards after 2 games there would be people here complaining that: 1) Brady and McD have been zeroing in on Cooks too much and excluding the other receivers: 2) all of our other receivers, even if healthy, suck; 3) Brady can't scan the field like he used to or, far more likely, all 3.

1000 yards is Brandon Lloyd numbers. Surely I had higher expectations than Brandon Lloyd.

Brandon Lloyd had 74 receptions for 911 yards.. It was also noted that the reason he wasn't back was his work ethic..

The Pats also had Woodhead, Gronkowski, that other TE, and Welker who accounted for 264 of the 401 receptions..

This team doesn't have the Welker who will get 118 receptions since Edelman is out for the year. But it does have White, Gronkowski, Lewis, Allen, Amendola, Hogan and Dorsett.. Not to mention a good chance of getting Mitchell back for Week 9..

Yes, you'll notice I didn't mention Hollister because I'm not expecting much of him, though I was disappointed that he was open a couple times and Brady went elsewhere..

The Patriots have a TON of weapons. Cooks is getting into this offense.

And though the 2012 Patriots had Ridley with Vereen, Woodhead, and Bolden, I think most people agree that the combination of Gillislee, Burkhead, Lewis and White is far more talented.

I'm 100% convinced if Cooks had 5 TDs, 15 completions and 300 yards after 2 games there would be people here complaining that: 1) Brady and McD have been zeroing in on Cooks too much and excluding the other receivers: 2) all of our other receivers, even if healthy, suck; 3) Brady can't scan the field like he used to or, far more likely, all 3.
Lol really, all in all if everyone is healthy this offense is better than the offense that pulled off the 25 point comeback, even without Edelman.

Lloyd was a disappointment not because he only had 911 yards. But because he averaged only 12.3 yards/rec and caught only 56.5% of passes. Excluding 2007(when he had only 2 catches) that was the lowest of his career, and 2.7 yards lower than his career average. And even that 12.3 is inflated by the almost-comeback against SF when he had 10 for 190.

Basically Lloyd failed massively on the eye test, despite the relatively high number of yards.

Yeah, I remember that a lot of folks were expecting Lloyd to be a significant "deep threat" - at leas those folks who based their expectations on Lloyd's one-off Moss-like season in Denver (at age 29), instead of looking at ALL of his previous 8 NFL seasons.

The fact is that his 2012, 911 yard season with the Pats (at age 31) was the third best of his career, and that meager 56.5% catch rate was the best of his career by far. His 12.3 ypc reflects the fact that the Pats used him primarily as a mid-yardage possession guy - a role that gets very little respect from fans no matter who performs it. Lloyd could occasionally draw coverages deep, but he excelled at the out-route (several toe-tappers that kept drives alive).

"Disappointment" is in the eye-test of the beholder.

Whew, glad we cleared that up. Everybody stop talking about him picking up the offense, getting in synch with Brady, longer routes having time to develop or whatever. We have an answer.

He was once extremely promising, smart, hard-working, and gifted. He USED to be a lock for 1000 receiving yards, but he can only do that with Brees. Two weeks in New England have rendered Cooks a bust from this day forward, world without end, amen.

Thanks for the heads up dude.
Pretty sure that was a spelling joke, dude.

If this is still happening in week 9 than maybe you can get concerned but I expect the chemistry to heat up between cooks and brady in the upcoming games.

I knew the moment Edelman went down that this would affect Cooks because I don't think he was acquired to play the slot. We traded for a receiver to stretch the field and score TD's while Gronk, Edelman and Dola would make DC's insane all over the middle. Now things have changed and Mitchell out doesn't help either.

But I think he is doing fine, he is catching the balls thrown at him, not always will be in the end zone. Just relax people.

You just don't understand Maineman. All Brady has to do is chuck it up 70 yards down the right sideline and Cooks is sooooo fast that he can outrun single, double ....hell...even triple coverage and catch the ball.

"But doesn't Tom need time for that kind of route to develop?"

I'm glad you asked that Maineman.

That's why you need to run 9 offensive linemen out there. That'll give Brady enough time to throw it downfield. :eek:

I guess it doesn't matter that Cooks' presence on the field, which demands double coverage or safety help, opens up other receivers.

You just don't understand Maineman. All Brady has to do is chuck it up 70 yards down the right sideline and Cooks is sooooo fast that he can outrun single, double ....hell...even triple coverage and catch the ball.

"But doesn't Tom need time for that kind of route to develop?"

I'm glad you asked that Maineman.

That's why you need to run 9 offensive linemen out there. That'll give Brady enough time to throw it downfield. :eek:

I guess it doesn't matter that Cooks' presence on the field, which demands double coverage or safety help, opens up other receivers.

Oh! So, THAT'S how football works!

I had no idea!! :)

well that means there is room to improve

I could also mean that the play was designed to go a different way and that Brady's first or second read appeared to be open enough.

If Cooks was getting open in spite of the expected coverage, that will show up on tape, and they'll work with it.

So, Cooks could suddenly seem to have improved due to Brady and McD having more tape to study wrt how teams are covering him. Of course, many fans will think, "Well! The light bulb finally went on for Cooks!"

I could also mean that the play was designed to go a different way and that Brady's first or second read appeared to be open enough.

If Cooks was getting open in spite of the expected coverage, that will show up on tape, and they'll work with it.

So, Cooks could suddenly seem to have improved due to Brady and McD having more tape to study wrt how teams are covering him. Of course, many fans will think, "Well! The light bulb finally went on for Cooks!"

There's a funny side story to "their" (those who believe in the almighty chuck it up for a 70 yard TD club) strategy, which is they'll also be the same ones who'll ***** about the Defense being gassed and giving up big plays to the other team.

There is a benefit to being able to eat up game time while using a 10-12 plays to drive downfield and score. 1. It gasses the opposing team's defense and 2. It allows our defense to rest. 3. It leaves the opposing offense less time to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes