PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's dad claims Bill may be "On the hot seat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Colts get ripped anywhere near the way we're getting ripped when Manning left and set records in Denver? Am I just forgetting that?

I will respectfully disagree with your statement about Belichick not going to the Super Bowl without Brady. He has 2 rings with the Giants. Yes, I am aware he was the DC. Arians also has 2 rings, one as Steelers OC, one as WRs coach.

Okay, that's fair enough. But it does still leave us with the same argument, right? Both have been successful as coordinators or assistants without Brady, neither has reached the Super Bowl as a HC without him. For me the biggest differences between Belichick and Arians in this scenario are A) Belichick actually gets some credit for coaching Brady up before he became the QB we know today, while Arians got the finished product, and B) Belichick maintained seasons like what Arian's is doing now over a long period of time, despite a league setup to make it harder to continually field a top team. So in the end there's no question (in my mind) that BB > Arians, I just wanted to be sure we weren't denigrating Arians for things that Belichick and he have in common.

Did the Colts get ripped anywhere near the way we're getting ripped when Manning left and set records in Denver? Am I just forgetting that?

No, but their situation was very different. Manning was coming off of a serious neck injury, which caused them to tank (some say willingly, I think they were just built to be front runners, and once Manning wasn't there to give them the lead their entire team was useless). They then had the most surefire option coming out of the draft SINCE Manning sitting there, so there was a slam dunk succession plan. They were incredibly fortunate with that timing. Of course, IMO, they even screwed that up because they never did a good job protecting Luck, but I don't think anyone really blamed them from moving on from Manning for a "can't miss" #1 QB, especially because to that point, for all his legend, Manning only had 1 ring to his name.

Irsay for a ****ton of heat for saying that they didn’t accomplish as much as they wanted with Manning and wouldn’t repeat it with Luck.

However here is the big difference. Manning had a potential career ending injury. Even when he returned, he really only had 2 and a half good years before he started falling apart and couldn’t maintain it. The Colts also were in position to get the best prospect since Manning. The Patriots just let Brady’s contact expire and had no real answer for what they were going to do if he left. So I know it seems harsher, but our situation is slot weirder. Like there wasn’t really much of a reason to let Brady leave unless the team gave up on him or he gave up on the team.

No, but their situation was very different. Manning was coming off of a serious neck injury, which caused them to tank (some say willingly, I think they were just built to be front runners, and once Manning wasn't there to give them the lead their entire team was useless). They then had the most surefire option coming out of the draft SINCE Manning sitting there, so there was a slam dunk succession plan. They were incredibly fortunate with that timing. Of course, IMO, they even screwed that up because they never did a good job protecting Luck, but I don't think anyone really blamed them from moving on from Manning for a "can't miss" #1 QB, especially because to that point, for all his legend, Manning only had 1 ring to his name.
And to add to that there is also the fact that a lot of people in the media and in fan bases all around the NFL don’t like Bill.

They had Luck - best draft prospect since Elway. Also, Manning had a serious neck injury/surgery. The situations could not be anymore different. Luck made the playoffs as a rookie with ironically Arians as his HC as Pagano was sick with cancer and Arians was named the interim HC. The needle was pointing up in Indy even though Manning was having success in Denver.

Bill had no plan when he let Brady go. That is why he is getting so much heat. We just went 7-9 and have no QB in place for next year. We are starting over again at the most critical position.

He didn't throw Brady under the bus.

And if you were going to make a genuinely sincere comment about BB's initial statement you must include his 2nd " Mona Lisa Vito" statement.
Yes, he did. And, no I don’t because the damage had already been done.

IDK I think we did have a succession plan. We were just wrong (Stidham). And still ended up a game out of .500 with a bottom-tier roster. I think it all boils down to just wanting to shove it up BB's ass.

They had Luck - best draft prospect since Elway. Also, Manning had a serious neck injury/surgery. The situations could not be anymore different. Luck made the playoffs as a rookie with ironically Arians as his HC as Pagano was sick with cancer and Arians was named the interim HC. The needle was pointing up in Indy even though Manning was having success in Denver.

Bill had no plan when he let Brady go. That is why he is getting so much heat. We just went 7-9 and have no QB in place for next year. We are starting over again at the most critical position.
This is the part that kills me. We basically had no succession plan and delayed the rebuild by a year so we just had a lost year as far as building for the future.

IDK I think we did have a succession plan. We were just wrong (Stidham). And still ended up a game out of .500 with a bottom-tier roster. I think it all boils down to just wanting to shove it up BB's ass.
That is where it takes a nose dive for most fans IMO. To think a 4th round pick was going to be the answer is mind boggling. The guy is not even good enough to be a back up or to put in a game when putrid Cam is playing.

That is where it takes a nose dive for most fans IMO. To think a 4th round pick was going to be the answer is mind boggling. The guy is not even good enough to be a back up or to put in a game when putrid Cam is playing.
I don't think it's too crazy to think Stidham could've panned out to be at least a middle of the pack guy like Miami Tannehill or SF Alex Smith. We all liked him (well most of us) from what we saw in the preseason, same way we liked JG. It's not like they put all their eggs in the Danny Etling basket.

But yea, obviously they were wrong. However it isn't all about the QB position. Brady didn't do too hot with this group either. It goes beyond a "They let Brady go now they suck lol" problem and is way more about the poor roster management/drafting than anything else. Nobody is gonna care about that though lol

I don't think it's too crazy to think Stidham could've panned out to be at least a middle of the pack guy like Miami Tannehill or SF Alex Smith. We all liked him (well most of us) from what we saw in the preseason, same way we liked JG. It's not like they put all their eggs in the Danny Etling basket.

But yea, obviously they were wrong. However it isn't all about the QB position. Brady didn't do too hot with this group either. It goes beyond a "They let Brady go now they suck lol" problem and is way more about the poor roster management/drafting than anything else. Nobody is gonna care about that though lol

I have more faith in Brady. 2019 was about OL injuries. No one can overcome 4 OL injuries.

Brady "not doing so hot" was 12-4 and another AFCE championship.

Brady "not doing so hot" was 12-4 and another AFCE championship.
Wow crazy and we ended up being a treadmill team just like we were this year, except with a worse draft pick

Yeah. It is painful all around. Brady had huge success and we are in the midst of a rebuild. Most fans would have rather ridden out the lean years with Brady and have him retire a Patriot. This was by far the worst possible outcome on all sides.

This is the part that kills me. We basically had no succession plan and delayed the rebuild by a year so we just had a lost year as far as building for the future.
We had a lost year because he didn’t want to rebuild, he thought he could still win with any QB

I have more faith in Brady. 2019 was about OL injuries. No one can overcome 4 OL injuries.

People forget, it was so bad that even Dante showed visible frustration when speaking to the media. I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like, "I'm working with a guy off the street, what do you want me to say?" Part of that could have been general fatigue, since he was clearly mulling retirement and probably had less patience for the questions, but I think it was a frustrating situation for everyone involved, including Bill and Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots