PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update: Curran says Belichick has been on the hot seat since 2019

Sorry about the delay getting back but I've been away from here.

So why would he want the Pats to lose? To get Mac Jones out?

He's still only one poster and not a number of posters, or many posters as has been declared here.

Now that Obie is running the offense, Klemm is motivated to restore his NFL rep, and the defense seems ok (though I really don't like the coaching structure there), I'm fine with letting Bill coach until he passes the hated Shula...

But...

For Ganja's sake,

Please:

Someone lock him in a room somewhere during draft weekend (including the UDFA signing flurry) with No communications devices Whatsoever available to him... But with a toilet... Heck just take All of his grocery-shopping duties away and give him the title of Head Coach/President Emeritus or something.
He's in charge so he's making the choices.

If I'm Kraft, and I know that Bill's done soon anyway, I could be talked into moving away from him and allowing the future to start now, rather than after he's gone. Who knows, maybe Kraft isn't as willing as you to delay the future of this team so Bill can chase a record.

When Bill was brought here there were plenty of folks who thought it was a bad idea but that turned out to be great. The same thing could happen now for all we know.

He's still only one poster and not a number of posters, or many posters as has been declared here.
Nobody is rooting for the Pats to lose. Rather, they know the Pats aren't going to win with what they are currently doing right now. The dink and dunk offense isn't going to work against teams that can get chunk plays and score quickly. Defenses aren't good enough to hold down teams like they could many years ago. Tom Brady's last year with the Bucs is a very good example. Their offense was horrendous and constantly playing catch up. They couldn't compete against any good teams going 1-7 against teams .500 or better.

If Mac becomes a good NFL QB, nobody is going to want him to stand on the sidelines. However, I don't think Bill is doing enough to set Mac up for success and setting up his margin of error to be very slim.

Last edited:
The problem isn't they couldn't sign Brady, it's what the rest of the team would look like if they did and Brady saw it coming, that's why he wanted to leave to get another chance at a ring somewhere else.
I always thought that Brady wanted to finish his career here. Otherwise why did he keep asking for extended contracts?
What we know for sure though is that B & B were only offering him a one year deal at a fraction of his true value. That would have chased anyone away.

I don’t think we will ever see a thread get to that level over the course of one offseason again, unfortunately. Either through the team falling back to the pack and shedding the front-running bandwagon artists, the over-moderation forcing out the colorful personalities, or both, the board is sterile. The level of activity and discourse in the TC threads, for example, is not where it used to be. It’s dry around here.
just wait till the GDT, The over moderation gestapo will be back in full effect at the first critical post

Other than the rams, no team has really built a super-bowl contender just "paying a ton of veterans" and the patriots didn't either. the entire core of our super bowl winning teams was drafted and you know it too..
The 2001 team had quite a few FAs but they weren't high priced veterans.

oldest rosters of guys they drafted. and Bill was unable to draft adequate replacements as they got older to replace them because of his poor drafts during that time.

i'm not sure the point you are trying to make here. Patriots built their team through the draft. the 2014 - 2019 teams were built on the backs of Bill's draft picks. successful teams replace their veterans as they get older and overpaid with rookies/2nd year guys who can step in and take their place.

see woodhead-shane vereen-james white. Bill had poor drafts from 2014-2019 so as those guys got older he never had adequate replacements. thats why he had to go into free agnecy and overpay guys in 2021
The first dynasty was a result of a few holdovers from the prior regime, draft picks by BB and a few key FA pickups.

You don’t look to replace players that don’t need replacing. There was no upgrade to Tom Brady or Slater or DMC. You can only roster 53 players.

They went wild in free agency in 2021 because they cleared years of accumulated dead cap off the books from going all in at the end of Tom’s run in 2020. League leading cap space didn’t appear out of nowhere.

Yeah they had a couple bad drafts, they were also reaching and drafting for immediate need at that time, not looking down the road.

When Tom decided to leave they started over. Now they’ll have one of the youngest rosters in the league, mostly drafted and developed talented young players… which is odd for a team you suggest sucks at drafting.
Isn't the jury still out on how much talent they have? It's been a very difficult time to get an accurate assessment because of the clusterfvck season of 2022.

Isn't the jury still out on how much talent they have? It's been a very difficult time to get an accurate assessment because of the clusterfvck season of 2022.
There is still some unknown with a lot of the young players, they could go either way, but I believe this team is much better coached than last year and they have a history of developing talent. They've done a good job identifying talent in the college pool.

They clearly have gotten back to forward thinking with drafting, which is a clear difference from (2014-2019) the end of Brady's run here. There is no desperation for rookies to contribute immediately and there's a pipeline for development.

I'm a firm believer if they had a real coordinator last year they would have made the playoffs again, this would mean an upward trend since the cap clearing year of 2020. The Patricia debacle set them back a season, but they can pick up where 2021 left off and improve dramatically. The kids will determine how far they go.

You wanted a name and I gave you one. And the reason Triumph roots against the Patriots is because he wants to be right more than he wants them to win. And after over 20 years of being wrong who could blame him? Triumph hates Mac Jones, and seeing him fail makes him happy, which is why he makes threads and posts gloating whenever Jones falters.

Nobody is rooting for the Pats to lose. Rather, they know the Pats aren't going to win with what they are currently doing right now. The dink and dunk offense isn't going to work against teams that can get chunk plays and score quickly. Defenses aren't good enough to hold down teams like they could many years ago. Tom Brady's last year with the Bucs is a very good example. Their offense was horrendous and constantly playing catch up. They couldn't compete against any good teams going 1-7 against teams .500 or better.

If Mac becomes a good NFL QB, nobody is going to want him to stand on the sidelines. However, I don't think Bill is doing enough to set Mac up for success and setting up his margin of error to be very slim.
Serious question. What is the difference between “dink and dunk offense” and an offense that gets “chunk plays” that would make for a mismatch? How many more big plays would create that difference making it non competitive that 8-9 play drives make it impossible to compete against drives with “chunk plays”?

Serious question. What is the difference between “dink and dunk offense” and an offense that gets “chunk plays” that would make for a mismatch? How many more big plays would create that difference making it non competitive that 8-9 play drives make it impossible to compete against drives with “chunk plays”?
Totally depends upon the opponent's defense. The key is to able to exploit poor pass rushing teams or weak secondaries. Playing without a legitimate OC and OL coach last season, there was no clear approach to exploiting opponents' weakness as there always seemed to be when Josh was at the controls. The good news with the running game and deeper OL with a true OL coach, is that the Patriots will be able to keep defenses honest at the line. Mac can read defenses - we saw that his rookie season - the key is weather this group of receivers and TEs can get separation and be where they are supposed to be. I'm optimistic from what I've seen so far. They should have paid Jacobi Meyers. I wish Thornton was healthy and showing that he get on top of defenses. Overall, this looks like an 11 win team to me.

Totally depends upon the opponent's defense. The key is to able to exploit poor pass rushing teams or weak secondaries. Playing without a legitimate OC and OL coach last season, there was no clear approach to exploiting opponents' weakness as there always seemed to be when Josh was at the controls. The good news with the running game and deeper OL with a true OL coach, is that the Patriots will be able to keep defenses honest at the line. Mac can read defenses - we saw that his rookie season - the key is weather this group of receivers and TEs can get separation and be where they are supposed to be. I'm optimistic from what I've seen so far. They should have paid Jacobi Meyers. I wish Thornton was healthy and showing that he get on top of defenses. Overall, this looks like an 11 win team to me.
That’s not really what I was asking.
The poster said the Patriots can’t compete with their offense against teams that get chunk plays. I was asking to flesh out how stark the difference is. How many “chunk plays” make it non competitive? Why is a 3 play TD drive something that prevents the team who would answer with a 10 play TD drive not competitive?

Tom E Curran dunking on this thread:

default.jpg

The dink and dunk magically stopped working last year? Dumb take.

I always thought that Brady wanted to finish his career here. Otherwise why did he keep asking for extended contracts?
What we know for sure though is that B & B were only offering him a one year deal at a fraction of his true value. That would have chased anyone away.
It's delusional fans wanting so badly to believe the HC did not run the greatest QB ever out of town and then watched him win a SB somewhere else.

It's delusional fans wanting so badly to believe the HC did not run the greatest QB ever out of town and then watched him win a SB somewhere else.
Now that it's pretty clear that Brady came out on top of the whole split and looks better than ever, we have to find ways to absolve Bill of being wrong

The dink and dunk magically stopped working last year? Dumb take.
I believe what he saying is today's NFL teams have to be able to out points up. Especially against the likes of the Dolphins, Bill, Ravens, 49ers, eagles basically teams with potent offenses. Me personally I feel we need a modern offense, more suited to the current NFL. Last season we hit a franchise rock bottom offensively.

I believe what he saying is today's NFL teams have to be able to out points up. Especially against the likes of the Dolphins, Bill, Ravens, 49ers, eagles basically teams with potent offenses. Me personally I feel we need a modern offense, more suited to the current NFL. Last season we hit a franchise rock bottom offensively.
Brady's teams did not put up points? LOL. What's a dink and dunk btw? People parrot stuff they hear elsewhere without a clue.

Brady's teams did not put up points? LOL. What's a dink and dunk btw? People parrot stuff they hear elsewhere without a clue.
Lol.. we know Brady's offenses put up points. Especially from 2010-2015 in 2011 I think we were averaging 33 PPG. Dink n dunk refers to 4 yards here, 5 yards there.. meaning moving the chains methodically to score

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back