PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Both Jimmy & Butler to stay Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I closed the page immediately after reading the byline "…by Ross Tucker." Sorry, but the guy's disdain of Bill & the Pats is endless. Everything he says & writes about them is poisoned by it.

Anyway, here's my suggestion:

Keep Malcolm Butler

Keep Jimmy Garoppolo

Trade Jacoby Brissett, to one of as many as a half-dozen teams, for a 2nd-round pick this Friday, if one of those teams did not acquire a QB on Thursday and all
of Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes & Kizer (& possibly Webb) are gone.

(I wonder what, if any, of all this changes if Bill had drafted Dak Prescott instead
of Brissett.)

Interesting post. Dak Prescott was admittedly a much more polished player coming out of college, with four years of experience and well over two years as starter (he won the job part way through his sophomore year), and I could never figure out why he fell in the draft so far (he absolutely terrorized the SEC, and the MSU players worshiped him, he had that "it" factor).

Thus, it is probably an overstatement to say that with that fantastic offensive line and running game, Brissett might have played as well as Prescott last year. But this year or next year? If you give Brissett that OL and running game in Dallas I think he could be successful, it would match his strengths. Plus, there are no guarantees Prescott will be as successful this year as last year. I actually think Brissett matches the Pats better in the long term, he is all about avoiding turnovers and playing in the system. Conversely, Prescott was a bit of a gunslinger in college (although he mostly avoided turnovers last year), I'm not sure how he would fit on the Pats, IMHO.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but I will not believe the potential for either trade is dead until Thursday night.

draftniks never give up hoping to play junior GM...

It has nothing to do with what Belichick wants, it's what Garoppolo wants. And there's no way Garoppolo is going to sign an extension with NE so long as Brady is here.

If circumstances with Brady change then so be it. Barring that, there is zero incentive whatsoever for Garoppolo to give NE even *more* control over him than they already have. Would you?
Garoppolo could choose to sign an extension here just the same as he could anywhere else, particularly if he felt the money and situation could be a fit.

Garoppolo could choose to sign an extension here just the same as he could anywhere else, particularly if he felt the money and situation could be a fit.
Yes but barring something crazy like Brady retires out of the blue (and Good Lord willing, let's assume no major injuries), how in the world is this situation a good fit for him?

With all due respect, it blows my mind how many people in here think Garoppolo is going to be perfectly happy to just remain a bench warmer, and actually sign on for more of the same.

Simply. You are valuing draft picks much more the BB. Say you trade JG for a 1st and 2nd rounder this year.

Consider our 2015 1st and 2nd round picks: Malcolm Brown and Jordan Richards.

Would having an additional Brown and Richards level talent on the 2017 Patriots significantly improve their chances of winning the Super Bowl?

For fun lets throw in the Patriots 2nd rounder from 2016 (Cyrus Jones). Does that change your view? :oops:

Keeping JG keeps them in the hunt for HFA if Brady suffers a short term injury. And protects them if Brady suffers a severe injury(and they want/have to move on), declines, or retires.

BB probably values that insurance over having another Malcolm Brown level player. Unless BB thinks he can use the JG picks to get a transcendent talent such as perhaps Myles Garret he is probably better off keeping JG for the insurance.

Hell, he dumped what many would consider to be close to if not a transcendent talent (Jamie Collins) for a compensatory 3rd rounder in the middle of last year and that worked out all right:D... He might feel the Pat are better off no matter who he gets to pick.

To me, it's not that it's not great to have a good backup QB on the roster, but it's only a one year insurance policy and he gets to leave for nothing next year. If Jimmy's on his way out anyway, why not pick up a couple high draft picks as he's leaving?

Yes but barring something crazy like Brady retires out of the blue (and Good Lord willing, let's assume no major injuries), how in the world is this situation a good fit for him?

With all due respect, it blows my mind how many people in here think Garoppolo is going to be perfectly happy to just remain a bench warmer, and actually sign on for more of the same.
I suppose it would all depend upon the specifics of the situation, but if Belichick is (reportedly) holding onto him for a reason, a transition period may be considered, sure.

I suppose it would all depend upon the specifics of the situation, but if Belichick is (reportedly) holding onto him for a reason, a transition period may be considered, sure.
Right now he is under contract and has no choice in the matter, but if he willingly accepts being on the bench for 1 single second longer than he is obligated to, then I don't even want him here.

I want a QB with the fire to play, not the fire to carry a clipboard.

It depends on the one thing we can't know -- has Tom Brady given a sign behind the scenes that he has not felt free to state in public, that might indicate he will retire for non-playing reasons before 2018?

The Patriots run such a tight ship that he might have done so and we'd never know about it.

If so, thinking from the perspective of Jimmy Garoppolo or his agent, the decision goes from "start somewhere else or back up here" to "back up 1 more year and then take over the best franchise in North American sports, or play as a starter for the kind of franchise the Patriots walk over on any given Sunday?"

If you're Jimmy G's agent and you know this, I think you advise Jimmy G to stay where he's planted. His chances of long term success are far greater in such a well run organization IF he knows he'll become a starter within the next 2 years. Being the starting quarterback of the New England Patriots is a much better situation than being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns. If some minimal patience lands you that situation, then go for it.

It depends on the one thing we can't know -- has Tom Brady given a sign behind the scenes that he has not felt free to state in public, that might indicate he will retire for non-playing reasons before 2018?

The Patriots run such a tight ship that he might have done so and we'd never know about it.

If so, thinking from the perspective of Jimmy Garoppolo or his agent, the decision goes from "start somewhere else or back up here" to "back up 1 more year and then take over the best franchise in North American sports, or play as a starter for the kind of franchise the Patriots walk over on any given Sunday?"

If you're Jimmy G's agent and you know this, I think you advise Jimmy G to stay where he's planted. His chances of long term success are far greater in such a well run organization IF he knows he'll become a starter within the next 2 years. Being the starting quarterback of the New England Patriots is a much better situation than being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns. If some minimal patience lands you that situation, then go for it.

Could be. Could also be something as simple as the Patriots having a 40 year old starting QB coupled with good picks not being offered by other teams. Might as well keep Garoppolo in that case. It serves two purposes: quality back-up depth while Brissett continues to learn on the bench and a guy that can come in and win a few games if Brady gets hurt or, worse, suddenly declines.

Could also depend on Bill's opinion of Jacoby Brissett. If he truly feels that Brissett is the real deal like Garoppolo, then he should be more amenable to trading the one who is soon to become more expensive to keep than he is now.
However, if there is doubt, then perhaps a better course of action would be asking other teams if they would be willing to part with their 2nd-rounder for Brissett. If there's a buyer, then take the pick; Garoppolo would stay, and Bill could draft a QB in the 7th round and/or sign a UDFA as a developmental prospect/camp arm.
Bill would then have one more year to evaluate both QBs. After that, he then might have to make a very interesting decision.

Right now he is under contract and has no choice in the matter, but if he willingly accepts being on the bench for 1 single second longer than he is obligated to, then I don't even want him here.

I want a QB with the fire to play, not the fire to carry a clipboard.

This. So. Many. Times.

I don't understand how people that watch Brady with all his passion and sacrifice for the game would be fine with someone who'd be ok sitting on a bench. That ticks off so many red flags for me. I don't care if it is a agreed upon "transition" or whatever you wanna call it.

That being said, if you listen to what Lombardi said about JG in the last two Ringer podcasts it sure sounds like he is not the kind of player who is ok with being a backup. He told the story how they brought in JG and Manziel together during their draft visits and how JG was not starstruck by Brady but actually from the beginning showed a desire to outperform him.

Instead we get those laughable conspiracy theories how there is a hidden plan about JG being a successor. No, he will be gone at some point until next year's FA unless Brady injures himself or somehow completely falls off a cliff. Everything else is just being naive.

Jimmy wants to play. Why on Earth would he sign somewhere where he isn't going to play? That makes no sense.

Jimmy wants to play. Why on Earth would he sign somewhere where he isn't going to play? That makes no sense.
Do you have any reason to continue with the same exact response that we've gone over in 100 different threads?

The point and response that you quoted is to remind that we have no idea how the franchise feels about the number of years that Brady has left, and that the possibility exists as an option. There's nothing anyone knows right now, possibly even Belichick, until the situation plays out. You don't know what the future holds.

I would assume that not only is the trade option for the Saints and Butler likely off but most likely their offer for when Butler becomes a UFA next year. Obviously he could have other partners next year but I do wonder if there's a small chance this could help expedite getting an extension done with the Patriots.

At this point, the New Orleans Saints are unlikely to trade for New England Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler, although the price may not have been as high as people think.

It was widely believed the Patriots were trying to squeeze the Saints for a first-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. However, it sounds like New England would’ve been happy with New Orleans’ second-round pick — No. 42 overall — and an additional pick later in exchange for Butler, according to Albert Breer for TheMMQB.com.

Now that the Saints wound up landing Ohio State cornerback Marshon Lattimore at No. 11, the deal might be dead, regardless of cost, though Breer notes the desired pick is technically available.

Both Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton seemed to indicate there were no ongoing discussions about Butler with the Patriots heading into the draft.

With a bevy of quality cornerback prospects still on the board entering the second day of the draft, moving Butler might be difficult right now. On the other hand, there could be renewed interest around the league after the draft if a team fails to fill its need for a defensive back. If the price is a second-round pick, that’s not too bad for a Pro Bowl cover man.

Then again, the Patriots could just as easily stand pat and hang on to Butler on a one-year contract. If they don’t get exactly what they want in return, the impetus to make a move doesn’t appear to be there.

=====

Saints bluff all along? or, they value Butler @ 3rd round draft pick or worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back