PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Both Jimmy & Butler to stay Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting him to sign some sort of extension with the Patriots is not even remotely within the realm of possibility.
I respect your opinion, but you're speaking as though you know this for a fact. I don't think any of us know what the future holds, possibly even Belichick, who may be fine with reassessing the situation in the spring of 2018.

Adam schefter's reporting that Jimmy G. would not be traded has always had an escape hatch. He's been consistent in saying the Patriots value the player highly and will not consider trading him UNLESS they get an offer they can't refuse.

What I found interesting about Schefter's most recent comments is that they not only reiterated what he had reported earlier but went further to describe that an "offer they can't refuse" would be - "multiple 1st rounders". I just thought that was interesting distinction.

Adam schefter's reporting that Jimmy G. would not be traded has always had an escape hatch. He's been consistent in saying the Patriots value the player highly and will not consider trading him UNLESS they get an offer they can't refuse.

What I found interesting about Schefter's most recent comments is that they not only reiterated what he had reported earlier but went further to describe that an "offer they can't refuse" would be - "multiple 1st rounders". I just thought that was interesting distinction.

Number 2 from SF is an offer I can't refuse

I think that could be said for most NFL players though. When was the last time we saw any player traded for "multiple first round picks?" I'm guessing that there are only a handful of players who wouldn't be traded for that.

Can someone explain the reasoning behind keeping Jimmy, because I'm missing it. His rookie contract runs out after the 2017 season, so if the Pats want to keep him in 2018, they’ll have to franchise tag him next offseason, which comes with a one-year salary of over $20 million. Surely, that's not going to happen, so what gives? Why isn't it better to get draft picks for him now, rather than no draft picks when he walks next year, which is surely what will happen since Brady is already signed until 2019 and working on another contract extension and $20 million for a backup seems very unlikely.

I think that could be said for most NFL players though. When was the last time we saw any player traded for "multiple first round picks?" I'm guessing that there are only a handful of players who wouldn't be traded for that.

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. For most players at most positions, I would agree with you. But, QBs are different. Any quality starting QB in the NFL would be worth at least 2 1st rounders wouldn't you think to a team without one.

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. For most players at most positions, I would agree with you. But, QBs are different. Any quality starting QB in the NFL would be worth at least 2 1st rounders wouldn't you think to a team without one.
Aside from another team moving up in the draft, I can't think of another recent trade where a team gave up that kind of capital for an actual NFL player. I hear what you're saying, though. I just don't think Schefter went out on a limb with his comment, that's all.

Hope things are well with you, man.

Can someone explain the reasoning behind keeping Jimmy, because I'm missing it. His rookie contract runs out after the 2017 season, so if the Pats want to keep him in 2018, they’ll have to franchise tag him next offseason, which comes with a one-year salary of over $20 million. Surely, that's not going to happen, so what gives? Why isn't it better to get draft picks for him now, rather than no draft picks when he walks next year, which is surely what will happen since Brady is already signed until 2019 and working on another contract extension and $20 million for a backup seems very unlikely.
Ultimately, you'd have to ask Belichick, of course, but in the meantime, there's speculation that he's already under contract and there's no rush to make what could potentially be a franchise changing decision at the moment.

There are ways to trade him next year, as well, if that's what Belichick chooses to do. We know he's a guy who does his homework, and there's lots to suggest that Brady may see a drop in production or a higher chance of being injured. Who knows what he's thinking, but those are some of the popular theories.

Number 2 from SF is an offer I can't refuse
If I'm SF and willing to part with the #2 pick, I'm going all in on Kirk Cousins. Whether that's a straight up trade or moving down in the draft and accumulating an additional first rounder to offer, I think they'd prefer a proven QB over anyone else. Just my 2 cents, obviously.

You're right; the logic....doesn't make a lot of sense. It's Belichick being Belichick I guess. But if you do keep him for another year, you'll have to franchise him and that's over $20 million for a backup. The Pats might be able to pull it off but it will be a huge strain and prevent them from signing other players that they normally would. Turning down high draft picks to keep a backup? Wow.

Have wondered all along if all of the "Jimmy G will not be traded" is just a smokescreen, difficult to believe that the Pats will hang on to him because he probably has the greatest value now.. does anyone really believe that BB calls up Adam Schefter and tells him what he is thinking or planning??

JG is low risk right now and possible high reward for anyone to believe that the Pats will franchise a back up for upwards of 24 million dollars makes no sense in the NEP economic system..

I know this is a huge if, but what if there is an understanding between Brady and the Patriots that he is going to retire either next year, or after he wins another Super Bowl?

I know that Brady knows the end is coming (despite his best efforts), and he's going to want to retire on his own terms. Maybe it's been made clear that his heir is in the wings and Bellichick isn't going to give Brady the reins if somebody with more upside is ready to go.

That would explain a lot about their approach to this season, including handling JG, Butler, trading draft picks, etc. if they were all in last year, what does that say about this upcoming year?

The tweets I can find are pretty direct: "ICYMI (in February): Jimmy Garappolo isn't going anywhere. His name continues to surface in trade rumors and speculation - not happening."

Not a lot of wiggle room there.

Does look like JG will be on this team this Fall. But, even though that is the outcome I expect, I'd have never guessed it would be so... just seemed, from the outside, that with so much (possible) value, the time to move him would be now.

BB > us. I'll defer.

Simply. You are valuing draft picks much more the BB. Say you trade JG for a 1st and 2nd rounder this year.

Consider our 2015 1st and 2nd round picks: Malcolm Brown and Jordan Richards.

Would having an additional Brown and Richards level talent on the 2017 Patriots significantly improve their chances of winning the Super Bowl?

For fun lets throw in the Patriots 2nd rounder from 2016 (Cyrus Jones). Does that change your view? :oops:

Keeping JG keeps them in the hunt for HFA if Brady suffers a short term injury. And protects them if Brady suffers a severe injury(and they want/have to move on), declines, or retires.

BB probably values that insurance over having another Malcolm Brown level player. Unless BB thinks he can use the JG picks to get a transcendent talent such as perhaps Myles Garret he is probably better off keeping JG for the insurance.

Hell, he dumped what many would consider to be close to if not a transcendent talent (Jamie Collins) for a compensatory 3rd rounder in the middle of last year and that worked out all right:D... He might feel the Pat are better off no matter who he gets to pick.

Also to add. Even if the Pats trade JG for #1 overall and take Garrett. And Garrett really is a transcendent talent. Last year's #1 overall got a 4 year 27.9m contract, $18.6m signing bonus. So you are still paying Garret ~7m year. So while he would be a bargain, he isn't that much of a bargain. And you have the risk that he isn't a transcendent talent, or takes several years to blossom into one.

So perhaps BB just prefers spending his cap on veterans like Gilmore. Paying an extra $6m/year for a player you think can step in day 1 and be a star verse one that might never be, or take years to become one. It isn't like the Pats are lacking for cap space.

The way to beat the cap, and build a successful team, is to take cheap mid round and later talent and turn them into starters. See Flowers, Logan Ryan, Malcolm Butler.

Christ... this post. This is like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

NE has the most athletic LBs in the history of the NFL.

ATL's RBs were the worst duo in the history of the league.

I rest my case. I'm glad to have finally helped you come to the realization that:

1. Football, and the majority of sports, are about match-ups.

2. The Atlanta RB's were not a good match-up for the majority of LB corps in the league, New England's being one of them.

That makes this "point"...

Since you started begging and crying like a ***** about digging up your posts post-AFCCG, here is the first one in your series of over exaggerations, all from the same thread:

We are On To Atlanta....

In this one, you state that you have no clue how the Pats would deal with the Falcons offense (of course you don't, since your dumbass rarely ever has a clue about anything other than what your favorite flavor of ice cream is.) You make it seem as though any approach NE goes with will lead to complete disaster, because the Falcons offense is just such a bad matchup for the NE defense. (NE goes on to hold that offense to only 21 points and 1-8 on 3rd down, including many clutch stops in the 2nd half.)

We are On To Atlanta....

To someone attempting to clam you down, telling you that Bill will have two weeks to gameplan and prepare, you replied that it doesn't matter how long he has. This genius literally said that it doesn't matter how long the greatest coach in the history of the game has to prepare, because the LBs will be a liability regardless, and that will lead to disaster. It's not as if we've ever seen Bill develop a gameplan to stifle high powered offenses before (as a DC and as a HC) or anything.

We are On To Atlanta....

You then go on to say it will be a long day for the defense, once again emphasizing how bad of a match up it is. Once again, just to reiterate, the defense was barely on the field, because they were incredibly efficient on 3rd down. So much for "a long day." The defense had their way with that offense, and the lack of athleticism at LB did not hinder their ability to shut them down when it mattered most. As anyone with a brain (this does not include you) could have predicted, Bill prepared the defense superbly in those 2 weeks.

Par for the course for you last season. From September all the way to February, nothing but **** posts (that all turned out to be wrong) from a sub-educated peasant.

...about as useless as your social life since you've now come to the realization that you agreed with me the entire time. The Patriots did, too. That's why they schemed the way they did starting early in the second quarter.

Back to Butler. Of course they played Cover 2 based on opponent. Against teams with legit WR threats, they were mostly in Cover 2 for the duration of those games. Go down the list of opponents. Even against Denver and their ****ty QB, that was primarily a Cover 2 game. Same with the Texans and their ****ty QB in the first meeting - very rarely were they in Cover 1 or Cover 3 that game. Perfect approach, as you've got an elite safety unit to cover up for the weaknesses of the CBs against elite WRs.

The point about the Texans isn't correct. Outside of Hopkins, they didn't really appear to be worried about Fuller or anyone else on that side of the ball (or Assweiler's ability to get it to them). Especially in the playoff game, the Patriots employed variations of a Cover-1 which frequently allowed the Patriots to rush Hightower and other LB's when the RB stayed home to pass protect. The results paid off big time. Another piece of evidence supporting that, if you know what you're looking at (and I suspect you don't) is that the SS played very close to the LOS in that game. Even a discriminate look at the snap totals shows Chung played 62 snaps (90%) in the game and he was usually matched up with whoever was coming out of the slot. So yeah, as usually, you're flinging crap to the wall to see what sticks. As is usually the case with your posts, nothing does.

The defense last season was elite - best in the league, actually - because they had many different pieces that fit the system and because they were coached by the best in the game. Hell, most of them were rejects from other teams or undrafted. There's no need to overrated a single player just because he was labelled CB1.

Yeah, I said several times that the defense was playing exceptionally well after the bye week. Now you're saying there's no need to overrate a single player because he was "labelled" a CB1. Previously, you backtracked and tried to make the point that he's only a CB2 now because Gilmore is here... and that was after originally attempting to make the point that you just made above. Another example in a host of them that you don't even know what you're arguing at this point. You're not very good at this whole football analysis thing. That's understandable since you clearly never played the sport competitively in your life given your clear confusion on it attempting to be masked in some kind of embarrassing internet bravado. You're also not very good at this "logic" thing either, which is surprising because you champion yourself as "educated", when really nobody else does. Swing and miss again.

Butler has performed very well in his role, and will continue to do very well along side Gilmore, but you're an imbecile if you don't believe he would take an enormous step back and that he would be exposed in a different system, with a different coach, and without elite safeties back there.

Here's some good, old fashioned confusion about the position I'm arguing from. After you sober up from the Skol and Bud Ice induced hangover and crawl your way out of whatever toilet you live in, you might need to go back to your school of choice and formally press charges. Especially if you paid to go to a private school. This is a tour de force of reading comprehension failure topped with a brain dead, flailing attempt at trying to make a point. If you're confused (and you probably are since you come off as kind of dim), I never tried to make the point that Butler wouldn't take a step back under a lesser team or playing for a lesser coach. As an exercise, if you think I did, go back and quote where I made that point.

The anxiety and mental fragility you display in the gameday threads makes sense though.

"Your posts are usually a must skip for me". Lmaooooo. You can't even cover up your own B.S. anymore. You're not very good at this.

You put so much stock into what's supposed to be a form of entertainment.

More comedy gold from a guy that just wrote more words than the Communist Manifesto about me, and the subject in particular. You may want to try hopping on Tinder, Bumble, or Grinder. You get way too worked up about this.

So much so that as we all know by know, since you post about it literally every time the 2007 season is brought up, you cried like a ***** after SB42. Imagine crying like a ***** due the the result of a football game. Tell us more about that, fragile flower.

The rest of this post was an outright embarrassment. I have no clue how you weren't just sitting behind your computer or Metro PCS Android and shaking your head in disgust about this triggered, little temper tantrum that you just got masterfully baited into. But this is absolutely cringe worthy. The event in question occurred 9 years ago and I know for a fact that I haven't told that story in at least 3 years now. That's legitimately the creepiest thing I've ever come across on the internet. Between this and the knowledge that you like watching grown, roided and oiled up men wrestle in tights, do I need to worry about you sending a PM wanting to get together "for a drink"? Jeeeeesus.

Anyway, I'm done with you now. This isn't even really a challenge anymore and I have better things to do than to waste my time writing a few hundred words responding to you. Keep being you, though. It's very entertaining as a virtual bystander to watch.

We will find out by Friday if the Patriots will trade JG this year or not. All the speculations are just that. We don't know what has been offered, if anything, and what has been refused. Bill has a value for JG as a backup QB this season. He also knows he will have a value next year if he is franchised and traded, like Cassel was. If the value offered is greater than the value of JG as a backup and trade next year, then he will be traded. If the value is less he won't.

I respect your opinion, but you're speaking as though you know this for a fact. I don't think any of us know what the future holds, possibly even Belichick, who may be fine with reassessing the situation in the spring of 2018.
It has nothing to do with what Belichick wants, it's what Garoppolo wants. And there's no way Garoppolo is going to sign an extension with NE so long as Brady is here.

If circumstances with Brady change then so be it. Barring that, there is zero incentive whatsoever for Garoppolo to give NE even *more* control over him than they already have. Would you?

I closed the page immediately after reading the byline "…by Ross Tucker." Sorry, but the guy's disdain of Bill & the Pats is endless. Everything he says & writes about them is poisoned by it.

Anyway, here's my suggestion:

Keep Malcolm Butler

Keep Jimmy Garoppolo

Trade Jacoby Brissett, to one of as many as a half-dozen teams, for a 2nd-round pick this Friday, if one of those teams did not acquire a QB on Thursday and all
of Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes & Kizer (& possibly Webb) are gone.

(I wonder what, if any, of all this changes if Bill had drafted Dak Prescott instead
of Brissett.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes