PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Kraft on Team Mac - no trade

I'm fine with this mentality, as long as it doesn't lead to Agholor getting re-signed.

Edit: Or Wynn.

I would be OK with resigning Wynn on a cheap deal though...

Tackles don't grow on trees....

It's still telling to me BB won't publicly state Mac is his QB, like he did for cam..

Again It's the little Suttle things that have big meaning sometimes.. everything you stated was 100% accurate!!!
I would think that has more to do with having a fire set under MAC’s buttocks. He is still a 2 year snot nosed kid that has not earned any assurances especially with Zappe breathing down his neck. I am all for competition at the position. With MAC pulling his hissy fits last year he gave me the impression that he needed an attitude adjustment. I would think BB thinks the same. BB is never going to change his stripes anytime soon
Edit: Cam was a veteran and regardless of how we felt about his play at that stage in his career. He earned respect from BB because of his longevity and experience

Last edited:
I would think that has more to do with having a fire set under MAC’s buttocks. He is still a 2 year snot nosed kid that has not earned a y assurances especially with Zappe breathing down his neck. I am all for competition at the position. With MAC pulling his hissy fits last year he gave me the impression that he needed an attitude adjustment. I would think BB thinks the same. BB is never going to change his stripes anytime soon
I'm with you on that... but we all had a 17 game sample size to sum things up.. this past season in training camp.. BB went out if his way to praise Mac.. Mac came in ready.. he accepted the challenge BB presented to him with the alleged new offense.. like us as fans.. I don't think Mac after how bad training camp was had any faith or belief it would work..

He knew more about offense then judge and Patricia combined... I say that because it was BB'S choice to ask guys to be involed with the franchise first round pick.. and accend him...

That never happened so... as the herald reported.. everything we saw was just confirmed.. that information was coming from players, staffers and other people in the organization.. all collectively said BB f'd us this season...

Coach won't accept accountability publicly for judge, Patricia show and he won't confirm Mac is his qb like he did with cam.. just telling that's all...

This year will be Mac's one and only tryout. After the 2023 season, the Pats will be on the clock to pick up his 5th year option set to be around $30M.

This year will be Mac's one and only tryout. After the 2023 season, the Pats will be on the clock to pick up his 5th year option set to be around $30M.
Be it Mac or another QB.. the team's still gonna have to pay that price.. regardless..

Yeah, it's really a make or break situation. He either shines and you immediately commit to him, or he doesn't really progress much and you trade him elsewhere in the offseason and are back searching for another QB.

After 2 years, still waiting for “Mac being the reason why Patriot’s won a game”. No evidence so far of pre-draft hype about the Mac being a cerebral QB. Too many interception.

It's still telling to me BB won't publicly state Mac is his QB, like he did for cam..

Again It's the little Suttle things that have big meaning sometimes.. everything you stated was 100% accurate!!!
I guess Cam's ability to drill passes into the ground made him Bill's QB.

this story is a travesty of media driven narratives.

1. HIS comments? No these are the comments of some unnamed "source" based on a narrative that the Pats MIGHT trade Mac Jones, even though the BASEST common sense would argue that "it makes no sense to trade Mac Jones at this point, ON ANY LEVEL.

It's like 2 guys at a bar look at eachother and one says, "Hey, if the Pats traded Mac, what do you think they could get for him?"

And from that chance remark we have a LEAST a weeks worth of content. First the question of is it a good idea? Then you have the "possible landing spots" Followed by the questions of who will replace him. Then when you are done with that come the denials (from unnamed sources" And finally comments from an unnamed source that is now being quoted as coming directly from Bob Kraft. Kind of like a media "nevermind" after you have gotten a couple of weeks worth of made up content.

The truth is that Mac was NEVER in danger of being traded....ever. But no mind, "we HAVE been entertained"

But it is sourced from the bastion of journalistic integrity that is 'kingsofbostonsports'
A site whose (ahem) stories have no bylines and that doesn't even credit its 'source' properly. The piece linked is some yahoo writing about what Curran said on a phone in to Rich Eisen on what might just be a wordpress site in their Mom's basement

Trade Patriots QB Mac Jones? “That would happen over Robert Kraft’s dead body”
Ian Logue
While there have been rumors about the Patriots potentially moving on from quarterback Mac Jones this offseason, it sounds like the New England Patriots won't have that option on the table.

The post Trade Patriots QB Mac Jones? “That would happen over Robert Kraft’s dead body” appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
An actual quote from Charlie Weiss. "Whatever you hear thats attributed to a team source from now to draft day is a lie." Teams are doing whatever they can to improve themselves. So, If the story is that Kraft loves Mac Jones, it just might be the organization is trying to increase his value for their own gain.

Lets sit back and think of this logically. Which i know a certain contingent of the board with their pitchforks out will not do as they want Mac traded for a 5th and zappe installed as starter.

1. Name me any teams who have moved on from their rookie QB's after year 2?
2. Mac showed a promising first year, and then took a nosedive in his second year. However, we now know the coaching staff was beyond dysfunction. So you DONT KNOW if what we saw from Mac last year was due to how bad the coaching was. we already hired O'Brien.
3. There are TONS of examples of QB's improving massivley in their 3rd year. Tua, Hurts, Allen for recent examples. All were on shaky grounds in their 2nd year and now are viewed as "franchise QB's"
4. Given what we know about the coaching dysfunction, QB's improving in their 3rd year and Mac STILL on a rookie contract and Mac being at his lowest value. what benefit does it give the patriots to Dump mac jones for pennies on the dollar? If Mac goes on to have success with say the raiders half the same posters would skewer Bill for letting mac go because it clearly was the poor coaching/barely NFL offense that was being run.

this is really LESS about Kraft saying he "likes mac jones" and more about him saying give the kid a 3rd year. which is what ANY COMPETENT NFL ORGANIZATION would do. Do you really expect teams to invest a 1st round pick and dump them every 2 years? Thats POOR management and sure to leave the Patriots missing on ALOT of good QB prospects if they expect guys to be fully developed in year 3.

So, we fixed the coaching staff and should now be running a REAL NFL offense with REAL offensive coaches. Mac will either sink or swim this year and we will find out what we have. Either he sinks and we see what zappe is or go back to the draft in QB purgatory or he shows improvement like MANY OTHER QB's have done in their 3rd year and we move forward with Mac.

theres nothing controversial about this. Its just the same tired posters here making it so.

1. Name me any teams who have moved on from their rookie QB's after year 2?

The Jets might be this year, but that's not set in stone yet. And it's the Jets, so not exactly a model franchise when it comes to first round QBs...

Only other one I can think of was Josh Rosen, who Arizona ditched after one year. But his rookie season was terrible enough to earn them the 1st overall pick, so they moved on for Kyler Murray who (for all his warts) is a better player than the Pats will be in position to draft this year.

The Jete might be this year, but that's not set in stone yet. And it's the Jete, so not exactly a model franchise when it comes to first round QBs...

Only other one I can think of was Josh Rosen, who Arizona ditched after one year. But his rookie season was terrible enough to earn them the 1st overall pick, so they moved on for Kyler Murray who (for all his warts) is a better player than the Pats will be in position to draft this year.
FIFY.
New York Jets Fan GIF

to be honest… if Wynn’s free agent market is really weak, I would be fine with bringing him back as a depth LT.

Same here.

I dont understand why so many people are bashing mac. Last season was not his fault, he didnt have an OC or a QB coach. He wasnt allowed to change protections bc of how vanilla the offensive an audibles were. Mac will thrive with O'Brien.

There is reason to criticize Jones, but that’s true of most young QB’. That said some people just have an agenda, so they just beat the drum to death on it.

I dont understand why so many people are bashing mac. Last season was not his fault, he didnt have an OC or a QB coach. He wasnt allowed to change protections bc of how vanilla the offensive an audibles were. Mac will thrive with O'Brien.

They are bashing Mac because they don't understand NFL football. It truly is that simple.

Let's be real, what has Mac Jones actually accomplished with the Patriots? Not a hell of a lot. He barely squeaked us into the playoffs his first season but got spanked by Buffalo in the playoffs. Then in year 2 he painfully REGRESSED and threw obvious tantrums on the field, acting like a spoiled baby.

There's nothing about Mac Jones that screams 'I'm UNTOUCHABLE Franchise QB'.

So the truth likely lies somewhere in between. I very much DOUBT Kraft is taking position of 'trade Mac over my dead body'. It's yet another media exaggeration. But guys like Curran get PAID to stir up controversial headlines, just like Breer does on the opposite extreme of the keep or trade Mac spectrum.

The sad truth is Mac Jones is the most likely option simply because we don't have BETTER options on the roster.

Yes you could try to go into the draft and get a better option, and I'd argue there are at least 2-3 prospects in the 2023 NFL draft class that have better upside, athleticism, and potential than Mac Jones but the question is does one of them slide to 14 or do you have to make a steep draft capital investment to climb up high in the 1st round to take one of them?

So, although not ideal, from a realistic point of view, I see the Patriots staying the course. They hope that Mac Jones can return to his rookie form with a functional OC who has a brain and knows what he's doing. BOB alone will be a quantum leap forward from the stumbling bumblings of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge.

If Mac Jones falls on his face in his third year, then we'll know that he's not the guy, and was never going to be the guy. My fear is that he's just bang average and does just enough to win and we stick with him anyways. And then we end up paying top 10 QB money to a guy who is more like the 15th-20th best QB in the league. Look at how Carson Wentz is robbing the Washington Generals - 33m AAV for 11 TDs and 9 interceptions last year? OOF. What? You're saying Mac isn't as bad? He threw only 14 TDs with 11 interceptions last season. I dunno, that's feeling very Carson Wentz comparable!

Show us on the doll where Mac Jones hurt you

1677642244439.png

They are bashing Mac because they don't understand NFL football. It truly is that simple.

Let's see, what's difficult about understanding that Mac Jones REGRESSED in brutal fashion in year two compared to his rookie season?

What's difficult to understand about Mac Jones making poor decisions and throwing a much higher rate of interceptions than before?

What's difficult to understand about him being lead footed, lacking pocket awareness, and eating sacks instead of throwing the ball away?

It's PLAIN to SEE for anyone who isn't invested in polishing his ball sacks that Mac Jones was a much WORSE QB than the guy we saw in 2021 and that a certain backup Quarterback displayed much better pocket presence and ability to make plays on the run.

This is also called common sense and otherwise known as taking off the 'homer glasses' to make objective judgments of players based on their performance on the field rather than based on blind optimism.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back