PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

BGC - what have you got on elerson smith out of northern iowa?

Bacon always has more work done on prospects than I do, but Smith should absolutely be on our radars as a Patriots type player. He plays with urgency, has prototypical measurables, produced well, and did not look out of place at the Senior Bowl. He's active with his hands, although not as technically refined as I'd like, and shows some power through contact, even though he's a bit of a one-trick pony in the games I saw. He's got enough agility and speed to play standing up, but at 260+ he's still filling out his frame and could offer some inside/outside versatility. I like him a lot as a mid-rounder.

had a killer pro day yesterday......the more i read and see, the more he seems like a core BB type of guy

Probably the only DB I'm taking top 20. Super versatile, has literally lined up everywhere, coming everyone.

Horn is very physical, very effective in press. + footwork that lets him mirror from inside/outside leverage. + hands not only is he physical, active but he's extremely effective. It's one thing to do something but another entirely to actually be good or effective. Horn is vg at rerouting his man but his efficiency or effectiveness comes in route/catch point. +ball skills. He's his daddy's son in that regard.

Tough prospect that is good enough-good in run support/blitz, often used to blitz.

Seems to be very quick to ID, not much hesitation if any. + route recognition. Again he's a blue chip prospect when it's comes to this stuff. Technique, film study/prep .. He's covered a lot of guys and had a lot thrown at him.

Inside/outside he's been there. Slot, even inline covering Pitts. Boundary next play. He's followed guys around multiple occasions. Zone/Man-Match, Press, good enough speed to track - he'll often bait deep but has to be careful next level. He's good to go in any scheme.

Remember a few years ago offensive lineman were lacking in terms of being a complete linemen? Like snapping and leading with hips than feet to smash and combo before climbing or clearing in the 2nd or 3rd level? Handling & running power, different schemes. Versatile in pass pro. Now we're back with a bang but a lot of DB's have lost the art of los play. Footwork, hand usage, back pedal, staying low, square. Very few guys in play at a high level in different schemes today. Horn is vg doing all that good stuff. Almost teach tape for press-impede, back pedal & square.

Prototype size and speed. COD isn't great but good enough. I'm looking at him to cover the best big targets the other team has to offer. Use him like Bill did Talib & Browner. Could be a red zone demon bc of his physicality-hand usage, footwork, mirroring ability & ball skills.

A little to touchy but that's his M.O. let them throw flags every other play.

Smith is an interesting, possible tweener type prospect. He's certainly not in his final form yet. He has to get stronger, develop his pass rush plan/techniques and improve run defense when its coming straight at him.

His first step is always on point, does a great job at establishing first contact, fighting for and gaining inside hands but its his low eyes that wins him a lot of reps. Head and eyes are usually lower than his man. Always peeking at the play. Decent job at containing and keeping his outside shoulder clean to cut off stretch stuff. He has to get stronger and play with better gap integrity. Can't hold his ground and doesn't have the core strength to fight off reaches or drive blocks. Has to get stronger where it matters. Core/legs. Length, motor and ability to shoot helps him on the back side where he's a + defender. Shows flashes with both but needs work taking on play side runs.

Not much of a rusher rn. Not enough flexibility or bend or much of it to begin with to threaten edge consistently. Good speed to power and has some potential there if he continues to improve his hands to disengage. Uses hesi moves to attack in/out, get his man off balance. He's going to need to really use his hands to create some variety imo bc of his lack of natural flexibility. Learn to work and find hands of his man. Forklift, push/pull etc .. Good first step but he's a snap jumper as opposed to having a legit first step.

Big boy at 6'6 260-ish and could probably add 10lbs. He was used all over the place, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9. Gave Radunz a hard time a few reps.

+ awareness, recognition and overall football IQ. Smart player that wins a lot of reps upstairs.

Ultimately I'm not sure where he makes it bc of his inconsistencies in the run game and lack of NFL ready pass rush tools but he does just enough right. Has great size and motor, you want to make a spot for him. You can't throw him in the fire but he definitely has some potential as a possible end you kick inside. Or if you really think it's necessary, have him put on 15 pounds, give him a year and see how he plays in a Wise type role. The weight might be necessary anyway.

@yukon cornelius apologize brother I didn't see you're post until a little while ago. Sorry it took so long. Any others?

Some thoughts on Smith ^^^

More thoughts or same stuff bc I'm not that smart or articulate lol ..
I love his motor & fight. He's usually always overmatched in terms of size/strength but fights his butt off. He's gained a lot of good weight and should continue to do so so that's hopeful.

Vg snap jumper, timer. Good anticipation & focus. It's great to be first & explosive but how much ground are you covering? Are you making the tackle think, react, move differently? He gains ground with his long-self.

Really like his upside in the run game bc of his fight. If he can get stronger he'll be a tough battle play/back side. Keep his outside shoulder clean, contain, cut off angles with + speed.

He needs an NFL training program in the worst way. Not that him & his school haven't been killing it but NFL is just different. He'll be with the best of the best from staff to training partners. Get stronger in his lower half and core and see what happens.

He matches Tyreek Hill almost exactly in measurables. Better vertical, same 40, almost the same 3-cone, but almost double the bench, etc, although he's an inch shorter. Probably a good comparison in terms of making people miss and offering a scoring threat from anywhere on the field. His freshman year, before injuries, was the most electric debut I've ever seen. He put up HUGE numbers, and made future NFL players look slow and uncoordinated on the regular. Interesting player, with elite short area quickness and surprising power for his size. Weight room monster by all accounts, as well.

good stuff on elerson, about what i've been seeing/thinking......but he just feels like a BB guy......whether he'll get him or not who knows, but he's a Bill guy

Bacon always has more work done on prospects than I do, but Smith should absolutely be on our radars as a Patriots type player. He plays with urgency, has prototypical measurables, produced well, and did not look out of place at the Senior Bowl. He's active with his hands, although not as technically refined as I'd like, and shows some power through contact, even though he's a bit of a one-trick pony in the games I saw. He's got enough agility and speed to play standing up, but at 260+ he's still filling out his frame and could offer some inside/outside versatility. I like him a lot as a mid-rounder.
I thought he was outstanding at the Senior Bowl. On my wanted list.

@yukon cornelius apologize brother I didn't see you're post until a little while ago. Sorry it took so long. Any others?

Some thoughts on Smith ^^^

More thoughts or same stuff bc I'm not that smart or articulate lol ..
I love his motor & fight. He's usually always overmatched in terms of size/strength but fights his butt off. He's gained a lot of good weight and should continue to do so so that's hopeful.

Vg snap jumper, timer. Good anticipation & focus. It's great to be first & explosive but how much ground are you covering? Are you making the tackle think, react, move differently? He gains ground with his long-self.

Really like his upside in the run game bc of his fight. If he can get stronger he'll be a tough battle play/back side. Keep his outside shoulder clean, contain, cut off angles with + speed.

He needs an NFL training program in the worst way. Not that him & his school haven't been killing it but NFL is just different. He'll be with the best of the best from staff to training partners. Get stronger in his lower half and core and see what happens.

i'll throw an interior guy your way.....not seeing a ton on him (wheels are turning on some late round type guys).....kobie whiteside out of missouri; i did a forum search, didn't see his name come up

i'll throw an interior guy your way.....not seeing a ton on him (wheels are turning on some late round type guys).....kobie whiteside out of missouri; i did a forum search, didn't see his name come up
Nice one familiar from watching others there. Upside as a pass rusher. Undersized not sure about his length atm but plays with decent timing & leverage. Very nice burst, esp when he times up the snap. Flexible, efficient steps to the QB. Easy mover, isn't clunky changing direction.

Nice one familiar from watching others there. Upside as a pass rusher. Undersized not sure about his length atm but plays with decent timing & leverage. Very nice burst, esp when he times up the snap. Flexible, efficient steps to the QB. Easy mover, isn't clunky changing direction.

ok, now tell me if Zac Thomas could project as a QB converted to WR to replace Eddleman lol lol

He matches Tyreek Hill almost exactly in measurables. Better vertical, same 40, almost the same 3-cone, but almost double the bench, etc, although he's an inch shorter. Probably a good comparison in terms of making people miss and offering a scoring threat from anywhere on the field. His freshman year, before injuries, was the most electric debut I've ever seen. He put up HUGE numbers, and made future NFL players look slow and uncoordinated on the regular. Interesting player, with elite short area quickness and surprising power for his size. Weight room monster by all accounts, as well.
He would be extrem fun to watch i think. Could do a lot of things with him in our offense. 12 Personnel with Agholor and Moore would be fun.
Imaging trading up to 6/7 for Lance and then trade for Moore.

Probably the only DB I'm taking top 20. Super versatile, has literally lined up everywhere, coming everyone.

Horn is very physical, very effective in press. + footwork that lets him mirror from inside/outside leverage. + hands not only is he physical, active but he's extremely effective. It's one thing to do something but another entirely to actually be good or effective. Horn is vg at rerouting his man but his efficiency or effectiveness comes in route/catch point. +ball skills. He's his daddy's son in that regard.

Tough prospect that is good enough-good in run support/blitz, often used to blitz.

Seems to be very quick to ID, not much hesitation if any. + route recognition. Again he's a blue chip prospect when it's comes to this stuff. Technique, film study/prep .. He's covered a lot of guys and had a lot thrown at him.

Inside/outside he's been there. Slot, even inline covering Pitts. Boundary next play. He's followed guys around multiple occasions. Zone/Man-Match, Press, good enough speed to track - he'll often bait deep but has to be careful next level. He's good to go in any scheme.

Remember a few years ago offensive lineman were lacking in terms of being a complete linemen? Like snapping and leading with hips than feet to smash and combo before climbing or clearing in the 2nd or 3rd level? Handling & running power, different schemes. Versatile in pass pro. Now we're back with a bang but a lot of DB's have lost the art of los play. Footwork, hand usage, back pedal, staying low, square. Very few guys in play at a high level in different schemes today. Horn is vg doing all that good stuff. Almost teach tape for press-impede, back pedal & square.

Prototype size and speed. COD isn't great but good enough. I'm looking at him to cover the best big targets the other team has to offer. Use him like Bill did Talib & Browner. Could be a red zone demon bc of his physicality-hand usage, footwork, mirroring ability & ball skills.

My Spidey is starting to faintly tingle that he could be a Pat after a trade down or even at 15. Seems perfect for their system.

I gotta admit Horn got some impressive tape with good pro day could lift him up in the first round. Especially the Jalen Ramsey vibes some experts are saying sounds like a good comparison. What he said at his pro day showed he has a lot of confident which is an underestimated point when you have to face top WR/hybrid TE every week in the NFL. I like this attitude.

ok, now tell me if Zac Thomas could project as a QB converted to WR to replace Eddleman lol lol
Nope lol. Was actually talking with someone that goes to school there the other day. Some fans are looking forward to Heath Shuler's kid and another former Clemson kid. Yea someone else mentioned Thomas in that role too. I like the due diligence :) .

I gotta admit Horn got some impressive tape with good pro day could lift him up in the first round. Especially the Jalen Ramsey vibes some experts are saying sounds like a good comparison. What he said at his pro day showed he has a lot of confident which is an underestimated point when you have to face top WR/hybrid TE every week in the NFL. I like this attitude.

horn is the best cb in press man coverage in this draft, his only weakness is he does not track the ball well.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back