PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

That mock is beyond horrible; it's into horrible on purpose territory...The ONLY two picks I can even begin to understand are Mac Jones at 15 & David Moore at 122...The rest are a pile of absurdly over-drafted poo.
Thank you for continuing to show that your evaluation skills are beyond horrible. So it's not surprising you think that draft is "beyond horrible". Most of the picks actually come across as well thought out and taking consideration that there are 31 other teams drafting. My only qualm with this draft is that it ignores the OT position where BOTH of our projected starters will be UFA unless the Pats pick up Wynn's 5th year option.

Personally, I don't care for Mac Jones. I think that the Patriots would explore trading back if Jones is the guy available at 15.

Interesting in the context of a potential Gilmore trade

Even without a Gilmore trade. @DaBruinz mentioned how both starting OT are free agents next year at this point. Same with both starting outside CBs, Gilmore and Jackson. They might be looking into drafting a long term replacement for one of them even if the plan is to keep both of them on the roster in 2021.

Even without a Gilmore trade. @DaBruinz mentioned how both starting OT are free agents next year at this point. Same with both starting outside CBs, Gilmore and Jackson. They might be looking into drafting a long term replacement for one of them even if the plan is to keep both of them on the roster in 2021.
My guess is that they’re going up for the QB, but not since 2011 have they been in the position to grab a top talent in the draft. It almos seems like a shame to waste the opportunity on a QB.

My guess is that they’re going up for the QB, but not since 2011 have they been in the position to grab a top talent in the draft. It almos seems like a shame to waste the opportunity on a QB.
Right. Of course, if they hit on the QB, all is forgiven and then some. Just a reflection of how important that position is. Many of the flaws we see in some 1st round QB prospects would make them 2nd or 3rd round prospects at any other position, but QB is just so important that it’s worth it to take the risk in the 1st. Just another reminder of the luxury we had for nearly 20 years with Brady holding down the fort that we didn’t need to worry about it. BB’s never had a miss when drafting so high - Seymour, Warren, Mayo, Solder all turned out to be above average or better players. Would have been nice to see what he’d do with 15 this year.

Right. Of course, if they hit on the QB, all is forgiven and then some. Just a reflection of how important that position is. Many of the flaws we see in some 1st round QB prospects would make them 2nd or 3rd round prospects at any other position, but QB is just so important that it’s worth it to take the risk in the 1st. Just another reminder of the luxury we had for nearly 20 years with Brady holding down the fort that we didn’t need to worry about it. BB’s never had a miss when drafting so high - Seymour, Warren, Mayo, Solder all turned out to be above average or better players. Would have been nice to see what he’d do with 15 this year.

Yup. Something we’ve all been wondering in the draft forum as we see the likes of Hockensen or Derwin James et al dangling there. I took this year off the draft because I got tired of becoming attached to one particular course of action and constantly being disappointed. I fancied becoming a passive observer of the draft for a year, and for this year in particular I’m happy with that decision because I’d hate to be attached to one of these high end prospects only to see them trade everything to get a QB I was less enamoured with. Perfectly happy taking a detached wait and see approach this time.

Daniel Jones ... That's who he reminds me of. Been trying to comp him and it finally hit me. The mechanics, footwork, throwing motion/delivery ... Danny Dimes imo. I'll take a shot in the late 2nd/3rd and let him beat out Stidham. Sit behind Cam.

A favor my friend. Could you please (for the students in the class) give a kind of bio of who these guys are who are making these comments. Like who is nick pentikoff and why should I listen to his opinion on Mills, or who is Vogel who is talking about some WR. Do any of these guys have a pedigree or what? I want to know WHY I should care about what they say.

Thanks in advance

Yup. Something we’ve all been wondering in the draft forum as we see the likes of Hockensen or Derwin James et al dangling there. I took this year off the draft because I got tired of becoming attached to one particular course of action and constantly being disappointed. I fancied becoming a passive observer of the draft for a year, and for this year in particular I’m happy with that decision because I’d hate to be attached to one of these high end prospects only to see them trade everything to get a QB I was less enamoured with. Perfectly happy taking a detached wait and see approach this time.
But who ARE you enamored with at the QB position that the Pats have a shot at getting. Is there anyone one you would be willing to move up for? How far? OR would you be willing to see if Jones is there at 15 at take him there, and if he isn't just take that great position prospect that fell to you in the QB frenzy. They say 5 will be picked in the first 10 picks, so there will be a lot of top 10 position prospects there at 15. Funny by if history is any judge, 3 of them will bust, 1 will be a decent starter and one a star

A favor my friend. Could you please (for the students in the class) give a kind of bio of who these guys are who are making these comments. Like who is nick pentikoff and why should I listen to his opinion on Mills, or who is Vogel who is talking about some WR. Do any of these guys have a pedigree or what? I want to know WHY I should care about what they say.

Thanks in advance
Good question. I couldn't tell you who half these birds are Ken. And I certainly wouldn't listen to them, I'm a draftnik and I barely pay attention to what they say lol. It's just to provide clips and see a player in action. Sometimes there's great insight depending on who's thread it is but 95% of these clips are just to introduce a prospect and what they can do.

Yea I wouldn't pay any mind to what most of them are saying. They're there to get familiar with the prospect. I simply don't have the time to do cut ups or clips myself so it's a way to introduce a prospect to the forum. I've said this a bunch but in all honesty I don't seek out or pay attention to what most say. Matt Waldman is pretty good, Mark Schofield, Justis Mosqueda when he feels like doing work, maybe a few others but this is a selfish exercise for me. I'm certainly looking to learn but I love doing my thing and seeing how I did a few years later.

Yea don't listen to 95% of the stuff on there. I'll usually make a note of who's worth listening to and will do a better job of pointing that stuff out. Like if I can't see someone's history or know someone has a good track record I won't pay no mind.

But who ARE you enamored with at the QB position that the Pats have a shot at getting. Is there anyone one you would be willing to move up for? How far? OR would you be willing to see if Jones is there at 15 at take him there, and if he isn't just take that great position prospect that fell to you in the QB frenzy. They say 5 will be picked in the first 10 picks, so there will be a lot of top 10 position prospects there at 15. Funny by if history is any judge, 3 of them will bust, 1 will be a decent starter and one a star
I’ve not studied them enough to make any accurate determination but the ones that intrigue me the most are Lance and Jones and if I deemed either good enough to carry a franchise for a decade, I’d absolutely trade up for both. But like I said, I haven’t watched enough to be a good source on this subject.

R. Moore is hurt more than wynn! We need to pass on him.

Thanks in advance
So sometimes things come over in text a certain way. I don't want to come off as a draft-snob lol or w/e. These people are way more talented & smarter than me. I just try to ignore as much as I can bc it's impossible for groupthink not to creep in a little. I don't want to be a consensus coward lol. Like having my own opinion on a prospect and seeing if I'm right. Again selfish and more results > journey for me.

In no order they're all great and I'm missing a bunch but too tired from work lol ... I'll make a note of others when I post their clips.
@mathbomb
@brandonthornNFL
@BenjaminSolak
@LanceZierlein
@JuMosq
@JordanReid
@MattWaldman
@BenFennell_NFL
@ElevenBravo138
@dpBrugler

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back