PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

Hey BGC...besides "mobility" (a known T. Brady issue)..what are the downsides to Kyle Trask? The more I read the more I like...
I'm no BGC, but I really do not like him anywhere before the 6th. And if you check my post history, I've held this opinion from way back when he was being ranked by some as QB3. He has a weak arm, lacks velocity on short to midrange passes and his deep balls flutter, float and die. His decision making is seriously suspect, he can't go off script, he will throw to the primary target even if he's in double coverage and his second or third read is wide open. He got bailed out by his receivers, especially Pitts, way too often. I don't think he recognizes blitzes and he gets tunnel vision when the play breaks down.

On the positive side, he's accurate, throws a beautiful fade and I don't particularly care about his lack of mobility. He's big enough, strong enough and mobile enough to trundle forward for a few yards when need be.

I really don't see him ever being anywhere near a starting NFL calibre QB

"The New England Patriots reportedly are taking a close look at Florida quarterback Kyle Trask as the 2021 NFL Draft approaches. NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Friday on the “Move the Sticks” podcast that there is “a little buzz in league circles that the Patriots are doing a lot of homework on Kyle Trask.”

Pats need to draft a QB, unless plan B is in place for trading for one, so they need to do their homework on all of them, including Trask, Mond, Mills and even Newman.

Too much generalization.

How many times did BB trade UP in the 1st round in comparison to trading down is what I want to know.

Too much generalization.

How many times did BB trade UP in the 1st round in comparison to trading down is what I want to know.
Eh, I see what you mean. However, this year is unprecedented because there’s no Brady for the first time. Yes, BB has a draft history/niche, but essentially anything can happen. Excited to see it..

Hey BGC...besides "mobility" (a known T. Brady issue)..what are the downsides to Kyle Trask? The more I read the more I like...
So it's not so much his mobility in the sense of him running for yards but more so in the pocket that is the big issue. It's Mallet-like, you're thinking the guy is stuck in the mud back there. Maybe not as bad as Mallet but you get those vibes at times. Very good awareness, vision and feel overall, in the pocket, scanning the field. He can move and navigate a little bit but again his feet are just slow. That's probably my biggest concern with NFL athletes going full speed.

After that his velocity dies fast. He can get it there but it's a floater. Short/intermediate stuff is fine, can fit the ball in tight windows, throw with anticipation on post/corner, slants but 40-50 yard ropes won't be thrown. Anticipation could improve but it's money on certain routes. So in terms where you're attacking, spacing and all that everything has to pretty tight for it work. Certain passes against certain coverages will be tough.

His mechanics could better. They're not bad but not nearly as efficient as they could imo. I'm not an expert on throwing mechanics but he's an arm thrower that needs to incorporate a lot more lower body and core into his passes. Base is unbalanced but again it's not that but I think he could be a little cleaner. He's a big dude he should balanced and throwing haymakers when he needs to. Front & back leg(s) just aren't working together.

He'll need a really good group around him in order to really make it work. Easy to see the appeal from watching Bill operate. Trask isn't someone who will get too high or low. Consistent, grinder type that plays the next play not the last. Tunnel vision in that sense. Mentally tough. Trask definitely knows his role so no worries there. He's just really limited in several areas. If his mechanics are tweaked or fixed I think that would go a long way in terms of releasing some untapped arm potential but I'm not Tom House or an expert on mechanics.
His demeanor, accuracy/placement, ability to go through his progressions like a clock & pocket presence are really +.

Probably not for everyone but I value backups, guys that could come in and get hot for a short time. Like Mond and Newman he does have some skills so that why I have them in the 3rd.

Too much generalization.

Traded up in the 1st on 4 occasions -

2002: from 32 to 21 for Daniel Graham
2003: from 14 to 13 for Ty Warren
2012: from 27 to 21 for Chandler Jones
2012: from 31 to 25 for Donte Hightower

Straight trade backs in the 1st: 7 times -
2008: from 7 to 10 for Jerod Mayo (Jets thought they traded back because they stole Vernon Gholson from them at 6, they were wrong, lol)
2009: from 23 to 26, and then 26 to 41, was used on Darius Butler
2010: from 22 to 24, and then from 24 to 27, was used for Devin McCourty
2013: from 29 to 52, was used for Jamie Collins
2020: from 23 to 37, was used for Kyle Dugger

They also had 3 trade outs - picking up a later round pick and a 1st rounder in the subsequent year
2003: traded 19 into 2004, used for Vince Wilfork, the 2nd rounder was packaged up and used for Eugene Wilson
2007: traded 28 into 2008, ultimately used for Jerod Mayo above, and the 4th rounder was traded for Randy Moss
2011: traded 28 into 2012, ultimately packaged up and used for Chandler Jones above, the 2nd rounder was used for Shane Vereen

Edit: of course what matters is how they use the pick - if they got something good. The 2009 trade back looks horrible on its surface since Butler washed out here although he did have an NFL career. But they picked up a 3rd rounder in the trade from 26 to 41, and that 3rd rounder was then traded for a 7th rounder and a 2nd rounder in 2010, and that 2nd rounder in 2010 was packaged with a 6th to move up 2 spots. The ultimate 7th and 2nd round selections were Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski. I’d take that over staying put at 23 and picking up the next Lawrence Maroney or Brandon Meriweather (picks 21 and 24 in earlier years).....

Last edited:
WR Coach No. 3: I love Smith, but he is so skinny — if you can get past the skinny, he’s a legit No. 1 receiver. This kid … whatever he wants to do, he does. They had him jump in at cornerback and they said he knew the defense as good as anybody on the team.

WR coach 3 needs to work on his grammar but this is a really interesting nugget. Hearing this would definitely make it move for Belichick.

After reading this, I’m locking Smith in as one of my top three predictive picks for the Pats. Final answer.

Smith
Horn
Collins

They may need to trade up to 11, of they want Horn or Smith, though. Collins may not be at 15....maybe a slight trade down to 18-22 range.

Honorable mentions:
AVT (at 15)
Farley (after trade down)

I agree. I think these are the 3. Devonta, Horn, or Collins. Elite at their position.

There is a pretty high chance that the following are gone in the first 14 picks: Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Lance, Fields, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Pitts, Surtain, Horn, Sewell, Slater. Then for arguments sake, lets say Parsons also goes. That might be the worst case scenario with the top pass catchers, DBs and QBs all gone. Who would people take at 15 in this case if we couldn't trade down:

Darrisaw
Vera-Tucker
Newsome
Owusu-Koramoah
Bateman
Farley
or someone else?

Think I would go for Owusu-Koramoah as a modern defensive chess piece but Vera-Tucker is the most sensible boring choice given he can play both OT/OG at a high level.

I think Smith has the best chance to fall given his weight concerns. and I'd hoover him up at 15. The Giants seem to want a pass rusher so that could cause someone to drop. Could also be a slot for a trade up too - they would probably feel more comfortable taking Paye at 15.

Unsung hero
1619356391889.jpeg
Chauncey Golston quietly had a solid career at Iowa. (Jeffrey Becker / USA Today)

Chauncey Golston, Iowa: Played base left end in the Hawkeyes’ 4-3 defense, but his main attraction to NFL teams would be as an inside pass rusher on third down. Produced 12 sacks in four seasons, stood out at the Senior Bowl and had a strong pro day. Very long arms (34¾), biggest hands (10⅞) at the position and a 4.82 40 time. Rushed effectively with speed and power at the Senior Bowl."

Sounds like a BB-type DL to me: Under-the-radar, versatile, good size, long arms, strong Senior Bowl week, plays for one of Bill’s buddies.

Chicago Bears are reportedly in talks to move up to the Dallas pick.
I have to be ok with the fact we are not getting one of the top QBs.
We are taking a flier on Mills,Trask or Mond or possibly a late pick like Ehlinger, Franks, Costello.
I don’t think BB is ready to say die on a Jimmy G trade and I’m still a proponent of kicking the tires on a Lock or Love trade.
Also really off the wall thought what about signing Bad boy Chad Kelly, imagine if we could turn him into something and beat the Bills with Jim Kelly’s bloodline.
Would be so rewarding.

Chicago Bears are reportedly in talks to move up to the Dallas pick.
I have to be ok with the fact we are not getting one of the top QBs.
We are taking a flier on Mills,Trask or Mond or possibly a late pick like Ehlinger, Franks, Costello.
I don’t think BB is ready to say die on a Jimmy G trade and I’m still a proponent of kicking the tires on a Lock or Love trade.
Also really off the wall thought what about signing Bad boy Chad Kelly, imagine if we could turn him into something and beat the Bills with Jim Kelly’s bloodline.
Would be so rewarding.
Link?
Source?

Unsourced rumors are even worse than poorly sourced rumors.

The article doesn’t say that. It speculated that depending upon who is on the board the cowboys may consider trading down and the bears would be a candidate. Nothin g in the article says there are trade talks going on

What you wrote and what the article actually says do not match.

“I’m also told the Cowboys will look hard to trade down. They are not against trading down. One of the teams I’m told is willing to trade up is the Chicago Bears, who want to trade up to get a quarterback. … If the Cowboys can move down, pick up some additional draft picks, I’m told that they are more than open to doing it. I’m not told they’re shopping the pick, but it depends on whether Penei Sewell is there and what offers they’re given.”

This just says that the Cowboys are willing to trade down (team unspecified) and the Bears want to trade up (team unspecified). It doesn’t say anything about those two teams being in active discussions currently. Clickbait headline.

There is a pretty high chance that the following are gone in the first 14 picks: Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Lance, Fields, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Pitts, Surtain, Horn, Sewell, Slater. Then for arguments sake, lets say Parsons also goes. That might be the worst case scenario with the top pass catchers, DBs and QBs all gone. Who would people take at 15 in this case if we couldn't trade down:

Darrisaw
Vera-Tucker
Newsome
Owusu-Koramoah
Bateman
Farley
or someone else?

Think I would go for Owusu-Koramoah as a modern defensive chess piece but Vera-Tucker is the most sensible boring choice given he can play both OT/OG at a high level.

I think Smith has the best chance to fall given his weight concerns. and I'd hoover him up at 15. The Giants seem to want a pass rusher so that could cause someone to drop. Could also be a slot for a trade up too - they would probably feel more comfortable taking Paye at 15.

AVT is the only player listed above who's worthy of #15, at least for us...DE Kwity Paye, LB/ED Zaven Collins & ED Jason Oweh are much, Much better fits there...And drafting JOK would make the Uncle Dugg pick look even worse than it already does.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back