PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

I don't see the value of The Atlantic aggregating 50 different mocks, when 45 of the 50 are pretty much an echo chamber for each other.
Honestly it's just bc a few of those guys are plugged in. Another way to gage the market. You want the best sense of value, all-around going in to the draft.

Read so much stuff on Walsh, Bill and others and about value. Where you have someone, your scouts - shy scouts don't last, if you don't have an opinion you won't last a day either from what I've read.

Anyway you want to gage where others have prospects for potential board looks and trades.

Plus the 5 or 10 that are different are cool to look at.

5. Kadarius Toney, Florida (5-foot-11½, 193, 4.37, Round 1 or 2): Played some running back, some wide receiver, some Wildcat quarterback and returned kicks during his first three largely unproductive seasons in Gainesville.

“He wasn’t even rated, but I liked him from the beginning of the (2020) season,” one scout said. “He had some issues as a junior, but he is a tremendous player.”

Was involved in a pair of off-field incidents involving guns in 2018. Some teams are concerned that his interest in the music industry — he has produced some of his own rap music — might be greater than it is for football.

“He is a passionate rap artist,” said another scout. “On green-yellow-red, he’s a yellow … that dude’s explosive. He’s got 10-yard acceleration like (Tyreek) Hill.”

The Mobile, Ala., native broke out as a receiver in 2020. Finished with 120 receptions for 1,490 yards (12.4 average) and 12 touchdowns.

“We would never draft him, but he’s a matchup nightmare for a defense as a slot,” said a third scout. “He’s got excellent ball skills and feel for the position. He’s strong and competitive with the ball in his hands. In the right system, that takes huge advantage of the slot wide receiver, he offers a lot.”

Said a fourth scout: “If I’m looking at him through the eyes of a quarterback, I think he’s kind of hard to read. He does so much shake and bake that you don’t know if he’s going left, right or sitting down. Not to take away from his creativity, but to play within a scheme, you’ve got to stay within your own area with your route. This guy is a little all over the map. His thing is just the change of direction. He is so skilled.”

. Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-5, 331 pounds, 5.09 40 time, Round 1 draft projection): Top-rated offensive lineman in the draft.

“He’s a good player, not a great player,” one scout said. “The guy’s young. He didn’t play this year. He has incredible body control and balance. Athletically, he can do anything. He’s got power. He’s 330. He needs lower pad level and technique work. He’s got enough to be a legit starter.”

Opted out of the 2020 season. Hailing from Malaeimi, American Samoa, he started seven games as a true freshman in 2018 before missing six games due to an ankle injury that required surgery. Then he started 13 of 14 games in 2019. Will turn 21 in October.

“Honestly, as big as he is, he’s still not fully developed,” said a second scout. “I mean that in a good way. He still has room to get bigger and stronger. When you’re picking that high, that’s kind of what you want.”

Said a third scout: “A bit overrated. He is a naturally thick, big-framed tackle. His workout was actually better than he played. I didn’t think he was super explosive. He covered people up with his size, and he would gouge somebody just because he was bigger than them. And name one pass rusher he actually played against in the Pac-12 who’s on a draft board?”

Arm length (33¼ inches) is short for a prospect of his stature. His hands are a large 10⅜ inches. Managed 30 reps on the bench press, but his vertical jump was a modest 28 inches.

“Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” a fourth scout said. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way, but he’s not a really good finisher, and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”

2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern (6-foot-4, 304, 4.91, Round 1): Slater was the Wildcats’ finest offensive lineman since tackle Chris Hinton, the seven-time Pro Bowler who was the No. 4 pick in 1983.

“His pro day workout was unbelievable,” said one scout. “Just extremely quick, extremely powerful.”

Logged 33 reps on the bench press and ran an exceptional 40.

“The underwhelming thing about him is his size and the way he looks,” a second scout said. “He’s built more like an inside player than a tackle, but he is really good. I hardly have any negatives. He’s athletic, strong for his size, super smart. He’s a technician. I thought he could play all five positions.”

Slater has his mind set on playing tackle in the NFL. He started at right tackle for Northwestern in 2017 and ’18 and at left tackle in ’19 before opting out of ’20.

“He’s only got 33-inch arms,” a third scout said. “Therefore, that will lead some people to say, ‘OK, he’s only a guard.’ In the NFL today, (tackles) have to have 34-inch arms. That inch may make a difference, but I still think he can play tackle. He has wonderful athletic skills, balance and control in his play.”

Slater, from Sugar Land, Texas, surpassed Sewell in the vertical jump (33), broad jump (9-4) and bench (33).

“He doesn’t have that Alpha dog (mentality),” said a fourth scout. “He doesn’t look tough, but he flashes it. I think he’ll succeed the best on the inside.”

. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State (6-foot-6, 317, 5.01, Round 1 or 2): Hailing from Topeka, Kan., Jenkins redshirted in 2016, started three of 12 games in ’17 and all 32 games from 2018 through ’20.

“He’s strong, has good stature,” said one scout. “I’m worried about his arm length (33½ inches) a little, but worst-case (scenario) is he can flex inside and be a good guard. He can be a starting right tackle or right guard in Year 1. Moves a little better than Robert Hunt with the Dolphins. Not as violent as Robert Hunt, but I thought (Jenkins) played smart and with good angles in the run game.”

Shared the lead among tackles on the bench press with 36 reps.

“This year, he played mean,” said a second scout. “In 2019, there were times you scratched your head and said, ‘What the hell are you doing, man? Get after it.’ He’s got kind of a soft personality, but if you watch the 2020 film, he’s not soft. Talent-wise, it’s there.”

His starts included 26 at right tackle, seven at left tackle and two at right guard.

“He can’t take hard coaching, but he’s very smart and has a mauler’s mentality,” a third scout said. “He’s a 20-to-40 (draft) guy. He’s got size. Plays nasty. He gets a little inconsistent, but not bad.”

Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State (6-foot-5½, 301, 5.16, Round 2): Recruited as a defensive end out of Becker, Minn., he moved to offense and redshirted in 2016 before suffering a torn ACL on the 15th play of the 2017 season. Started 31 consecutive games at left tackle in 2018 and ’19, all North Dakota State victories.

“Talented left tackle,” said one scout. “Only played one game this year. What helped him was he showed up at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and was one of the more consistent offensive linemen all week.”

The Bison played just one game in 2020 because of the pandemic. He was named “best practice player” in Mobile.

“Wish he were a little thicker, stronger,” another scout said. “He’s got a chance to be a starter.”

Often compared to Green Bay OT/G Billy Turner, the 67th player selected in 2014 and the Bison’s highest-drafted offensive lineman.

“He’s better than Turner,” said a third scout. “High character. Got a little nasty demeanor to him. He’s got room to put strength on. He loves to practice football. Longer defenders give him some problems around the edge. He’s got a degree of tightness in his lower body that really hurts him.”

Arm length (34 inches) was fine, but his hands measured just 9 inches, the smallest of the tackles.

1. The same lazy scout seems overly obsessed with whether an OT has 34 arm length or not. Lazy scouting. Other more knowledgeable NFL analysts have said Sewell and Slater might both make the HOF. Obsessing over some physical metric is silly compared to the most important factors like can the guy actually play and perform at the couple key relevant skills in their position. Just like saying a corner or WR has to be the right height. The best Pats WRs not named Moss were 3 straight smurf receivers.
2. Zaven Collins seems to be dropping and there's gushing over Parsons and Onwusu (the Notre Dame kid) and I'm not buying it. This is all hype perspective from a 4-3 defensive lens. A 6'4 270 pound LB like Collins is perfect in a Patriot 3-4 or 2-4 defensive scheme. We don't need some super fast smaller LB that people coming from a 4-3 view are raving about.
3. I could care less that Devonta isn't the right weight. Marvin Harrison is the right comp. All Devonta does is get open, know how to attack a defense, have elite hands, and be reliable. Our best non-Moss WRs were midgets Branch, Welker, Edelman taking hits/shots from linebackers and safeties for almost 20 years.
4. Trey Lance is fool's gold. As mentioned before his accuracy is terrible beyond just very short passes and lazy scouts fail to note his offense ran the ball a whopping 70% of snaps/plays, and he faced zero FCS schools.

I wonder what the story is with Collins. That's a lot of weight to add since then. Perhaps he drops a bit because of it? As long as it's not bad weight, that's ideal size for our multiple defense. Hightower and Vrabel both played around that size. Gives him more outside versatility. He's not as much of a thumper as they were, and less suited to playing on the line, but he's significantly better in space. If we don't go QB, Smith and Collins would be an excellent 1-2 start, sticking with the theme of players perceived to be falling.

BB, upon reading those Collins measurables....

1619177722284.gif

Taller version of Adalius Thomas incoming in one week?

WR Coach No. 1: He plays much bigger than he is. I don’t know if it’s a knock, but I’m not sure his ball skills are elite, but he has so many other elite traits.

He’s a grown man with the ball in his hands. He runs some out routes so smooth. He matches his lower body with his upper body, and that takes a long time. He’s really able to drop his hips. I love DeVonta Smith, but he’s 31 pounds lighter than Chase.

WR Coach No. 1: DeVonta has unbelievable hand-eye coordination and body control with elite ball skills. It’s so natural. He’s instinctual as ****. He feels it and he knows where the spots are. He’s gonna be a good player and be solid and will play every position. He studies; he loves it. I am concerned about him only being 170 pounds, though. It’s the world we live in, man. Big guys beat up little guys. When you take a shot from the side from these monsters, that’s when you get AC issues and collarbone issues. He’s tough as ****. He will bite your face off. He’s gonna try. He won’t back down, but is he gonna win the battle?

Waddle is a game-changer. He’s way rawer than DeVonta. He’s absolutely explosive and elite with the ball in his hands.

OLE MISS’ ELIJAH MOORE

WR Coach No. 1:
I liked him. He can do a lot of stuff. Is a good kid, tough. They really had no route tree there and were just going as fast as they can. He was impressive in interviews; really candid. Was mature.

AUBURN’S SETH WILLIAMS

WR Coach No. 3:
There’s no doubt he’s talented, but there’s something missing there

WR Coach No. 3: I love Smith, but he is so skinny — if you can get past the skinny, he’s a legit No. 1 receiver. This kid … whatever he wants to do, he does. They had him jump in at cornerback and they said he knew the defense as good as anybody on the team.

WR coach 3 needs to work on his grammar but this is a really interesting nugget. Hearing this would definitely make it move for Belichick.

After reading this, I’m locking Smith in as one of my top three predictive picks for the Pats. Final answer.

Smith
Horn
Collins

They may need to trade up to 11, of they want Horn or Smith, though. Collins may not be at 15....maybe a slight trade down to 18-22 range.

Honorable mentions:
AVT (at 15)
Farley (after trade down)

Last edited:
. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State (6-foot-6, 317, 5.01, Round 1 or 2): Hailing from Topeka, Kan., Jenkins redshirted in 2016, started three of 12 games in ’17 and all 32 games from 2018 through ’20.

“He’s strong, has good stature,” said one scout. “I’m worried about his arm length (33½ inches) a little, but worst-case (scenario) is he can flex inside and be a good guard. He can be a starting right tackle or right guard in Year 1. Moves a little better than Robert Hunt with the Dolphins. Not as violent as Robert Hunt, but I thought (Jenkins) played smart and with good angles in the run game.”

Shared the lead among tackles on the bench press with 36 reps.

“This year, he played mean,” said a second scout. “In 2019, there were times you scratched your head and said, ‘What the hell are you doing, man? Get after it.’ He’s got kind of a soft personality, but if you watch the 2020 film, he’s not soft. Talent-wise, it’s there.”

His starts included 26 at right tackle, seven at left tackle and two at right guard.

“He can’t take hard coaching, but he’s very smart and has a mauler’s mentality,” a third scout said. “He’s a 20-to-40 (draft) guy. He’s got size. Plays nasty. He gets a little inconsistent, but not bad.”

Whichever teams drafts Jenkins should give him some legit reps at Left Tackle before deciding that he's a Right-side-only lineman...His footwork & mirror skills during some games were Left Tackle worthy...

So, according to PFF, and in direct contradiction of Tom E. Curran, Jones ≠ Stidham after all.
So if I'm reading this right, Curran thinks Jones is on Stidhams level - type player?

Hey BGC...besides "mobility" (a known T. Brady issue)..what are the downsides to Kyle Trask? The more I read the more I like...

"The New England Patriots reportedly are taking a close look at Florida quarterback Kyle Trask as the 2021 NFL Draft approaches. NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Friday on the “Move the Sticks” podcast that there is “a little buzz in league circles that the Patriots are doing a lot of homework on Kyle Trask.”

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back