PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

My only concern with Daniel’s is how much of his success came last season, which can be seen as an odd criticism, but I downgrade players older players against younger player. I consider 23 year olds to be men, and 18-20 kids. I put more stock in a prospect getting it done against his own age. Daniels production is exceptional, and he’s Lee twice to watch. It would be a blast to watch him as the Apatriots QB, and there s a good chance he plays well as a pro, but I would give him more credit if he did it when he was 21 against 18-20 year old players.
He'll also be 24 in December, has a slight build that might not be able to add much more weight/muscle, his arm strength is actually no better than Mac Jones, and he had a solid OL and excellent talent at WR. At least Maye (who probably had the least talented offense of all the first 2 round QB's in this draft class) and McCarthy have much stronger arms than Daniels and are mobile and young enough to sit for their rookie seasons while they are coached-up and talent on the rest of the offense is improved between this draft and the 2025 free agency period and draft.

I just really hope if the Pats do draft McCarthy at three or trades down a bit and drafts him at like 5 or 6 or where ever in the top 10 that he is the real deal and not another draft pick where everyone talked themselves into making a second round talent into a top 10 pick. I am always leery of guys like this.

If the Pats trade with the Vikes and pick up a couple of first rounders and draft him at 11, then even if he is a bust it might have been the right gamble. But if they draft him at three, he better be the Patriots' QB for at least the next 10-15 years or it was a stupid pick.

I am not convinced that Washington takes Daniels, if their minds were made up they wouldn't have the QB's in this week. I really have a feeling they take Maye. I have talked myself into being ok with Daniels, I have always been OK with JJ at 3 and now I am warming to the idea of trading down. I think its going to be a good draft night in 9 days.

I am not convinced that Washington takes Daniels, if their minds were made up they wouldn't have the QB's in this week. I really have a feeling they take Maye. I have talked myself into being ok with Daniels, I have always been OK with JJ at 3 and now I am warming to the idea of trading down. I think its going to be a good draft night in 9 days.
Washington may just be doing their due diligence, like the Pats are.

They should.

People are putting too much into some quotes from Harbaugh. It really has nothing to do with that for teams. It's about how he measured at the combine, how he's already put on muscle in the offseason, how he's already showing that he's working on his throwing mechanics to improve a couple flaws, how he interviewed with teams, and what teams saw on film while prepping for the draft. The combine measurements and interviews probably being the most important factors.

It's not like teams all thought he wasn't good and then Harbaugh said "hey dudes this guy actually is good" and every GM and front office in the NFL said "oh golly we didn't notice, hey guys let's start checking this unknown McCarthy guy out"
Any team that needed a QB and didn't send scouts to multiple games of all the top QBs committed malpractice.

Agree completely. That gives them their choice between Maye and Daniels.

What I see when I watch Mahomes is a guy playing quarterback like he’s an NBA point guard just making easy passe, but who can get you the first down with his legs whenever he needs to: that’s the same type of play I see from Daniels. I’m not saying he’s going to be Mahomes anymore than I think Mayecwill become Brady, but stylistically it’s similar. I still think the best comp for Daniels is Randall Cunningham,
What I've heard, though, is that, while Mahomes can maintain the pass option when running, Daniels doesn't throw once he starts running.

McCarthy is the only prospect who ran a pro style offense under Harbaugh and won the college football national championship. Other than that he hasn't produced :rolleyes: .
He'd be going from the national championship college team to the third worst NFL team. He won't be surrounded by the sort of talent he had at Michigan. We haven't seen him deal with the kind of adversity that would await him in New England.

Last edited:
Lawrence was supposed to be guaranteed. Has not worked out yet.
He's been hands down the best QB from that class, and it's not even close. Is he a superstar yet? No. But there's a reason the best QB usually gets taken at 1, while all the others are copium from QB-bereft teams.

He's been hands down the best QB from that class, and it's not even close. Is he a superstar yet? No. But there's a reason the best QB usually gets taken at 1, while all the others are copium from QB-bereft teams.

Last year Bryce Young was #1, CJ Stroud was #2. The Panthers wish they had that pick to do over.

Drafting either of them at 3 would be a colossal blunder.

Definitely. They should wait until the 2026 Draft to pick a quarterback. And then it will only cost them 3 first rounders, instead of wasting one first rounder on them. And the best part is that we won’t have to waste time watching them, because they will be as unwatchable as they have been the last 2 years. Maybe the Patriots can give Jacksonville the 34th pick to bring Mac Jones back?

What I've heard, though, is that, while Mahomes can maintain the pass option when running, Daniels doesn't throw once he starts running.
Hadn’t heard that, but ts relevant information , as Mahomes uses perceived runs to get defenders to bite and then hits the receivers that open up for good gains, usually first downs. From what I have watched of Daniels it does seem that when he takes off he’s committed to the run and takes big chunks of yardage at a time.

Hadn’t heard that, but ts relevant information , as Mahomes uses perceived runs to get defenders to bite and then hits the receivers that open up for good gains, usually first downs. From what I have watched of Daniels it does seem that when he takes off he’s committed to the run and takes big chunks of yardage at a time.

That ability is also something that develops later for a QB. It doesn't mean Daniels can't get there.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back