PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

McCarthy's 3cone was the 5th best of all participants at the combine including WRs, DBs, etc. - elite short area quickness. He runs well too. But you are correct that in Harbaugh's system, McCarthy was discouraged from scrambling or running.

That's the thing with McCarthy - similar to Justin Herbert's situation with Oregon years ago in a way - sure, he wasn't asked to do much, but is that because of him or because the college is beholden to a strict system? McCarthy's measurables from the combine are eye-opening, so it makes you think. There's a potential benefit here where the importance of being calm and playing safe football was drilled into him by Harbaugh which makes him less likely to bust, and then in the pros, his skillset can start being tapped into more broadly.

I don't think it would be fireworks on day 1, but there are some very good tools here and he's extremely young and has a lot of room to grow. He has the ability to be a solid "game manager" short term and grow into an extend-the-play magic maker/modest rushing threat with some seasoning.

That's the thing with McCarthy - similar to Justin Herbert's situation with Oregon years ago in a way - sure, he wasn't asked to do much, but is that because of him or because the college is beholden to a strict system? McCarthy's measurables from the combine are eye-opening, so it makes you think. There's a potential benefit here where the importance of being calm and playing safe football was drilled into him by Harbaugh which makes him less likely to bust, and then in the pros, his skillset can start being tapped into more broadly.

I don't think it would be fireworks on day 1, but there are some very good tools here and he's extremely young and has a lot of room to grow. He has the ability to be a solid "game manager" short term and grow into an extend-the-play magic maker/modest rushing threat with some seasoning.
His ability to make accurate throws to the second level for big chunk plays has impressed me the most. He's a good processor and doesn't seem to get stuck on his first read. Besides, there's just something about him. Those darn intangibles. I'd want him on my team.

McCarthy's 3cone was the 5th best of all participants at the combine including WRs, DBs, etc. - elite short area quickness. He runs well too. But you are correct that in Harbaugh's system, McCarthy was discouraged from scrambling or running.

I’m not doubting that he can run, but since when do they do 40 times before a season. I also don’t trust what Harbaugh is saying. Just as I didn’t trust what Urban Meyer was saying about his players. Ultimately he’s a good athlete, and that’s what matters.

I’m not doubting that he can run, but since when do they do 40 times before a season. I also don’t trust what Harbaugh is saying. Just as I didn’t trust what Urban Meyer was saying about his players. Ultimately he’s a good athlete, and that’s what matters.
I like him ... his upside ... I've liked him since last year ... has upper 6-8 NFL potential ... again IMO
do not see him as a runner but the speed is enticing to extend the play and/or get out of bounds.
Drake Maye is not a bad pick an above average NFL QB IMO.
Daniels is going to get hammered/ injuries in the league ... just a feeling I get.

I like him ... his upside ... I've liked him since last year ... has upper 6-8 NFL potential ... again IMO
do not see him as a runner but the speed is enticing to extend the play and/or get out of bounds.
Drake Maye is not a bad pick an above average NFL QB IMO.
Daniels is going to get hammered/ injuries in the league ... just a feeling I get.

My only concern with Daniel’s is how much of his success came last season, which can be seen as an odd criticism, but I downgrade players older players against younger player. I consider 23 year olds to be men, and 18-20 kids. I put more stock in a prospect getting it done against his own age. Daniels production is exceptional, and he’s Lee twice to watch. It would be a blast to watch him as the Apatriots QB, and there s a good chance he plays well as a pro, but I would give him more credit if he did it when he was 21 against 18-20 year old players.

Agreed. Here is another clip which is fun because McCarthy is fast, but also because he competes hard.

I'm hoping its a smoke screen
If they pick him I'll vomit
Dude is the most overhyped player of this draft. Had a dominant—a DOMINANT OL—and was asked to do far less than a guy like Spencer Rattler.

His ability to make accurate throws to the second level for big chunk plays has impressed me the most. He's a good processor and doesn't seem to get stuck on his first read. Besides, there's just something about him. Those darn intangibles. I'd want him on my team.

This simply isn't true. For me, it's his biggest knock. He's not fast at all and he definitely gets stuck on his first read.

I swear I'm living in an alternate universe rn.

It’s so bad it can only go up.
View attachment 57610

I think McCarthy has to get a lot better at the 2nd and 3rd levels, if possible. That is his anomaly. Having said that, it is tough to make a sweeping generalization with a sample size of only 15 passes. McCarthy completed 4 passes out of 15, but if he had completed 7 out of 15 his % rises from 27 to 47%. Also McCarthy did not have a deep ball WR like Penix, Nix, and Daniels. How good would McCarthy's deep ball look if he had Odunze, Nabers, Harrison, Franklin, or even Legette? Wilson is not really in that discussion. Posters can not complain about the Pats lack of weapons and then overlook McCarthy's lack of WRs.

Dude is the most overhyped player of this draft. Had a dominant—a DOMINANT OL—and was asked to do far less than a guy like Spencer Rattler.

So a more athletic Mac Jones

Exactly my gut tells me that’s Mccarhy more than Maye.
This
I honestly don't see how JJ will not be successful. We need to define successful, to me it is elevate the players around you and make the playoffs. A game manager is fine, because they are able to allow play makers to make their plays. People say oh he might be the next Purdy, he just played in the SB, I don't care if he is not the best player on the team because he allowed others to be by getting them the ball at the right moment.

I have heard Kurt Warner and others say they would rather have the QB that you can win because of not just win with. Does it matter as long as you win? Our 1st 3 SB wins were not because of Tom Brady but look at what he became because he had a good team around him. He became the win because of guy.

I am fine with any of the 3 but I am leaning more JJ at the moment. I have even talked myself into be alright with Daniels. If we take JJ and in 2 years are in the playoffs are people going to say we suck because we reached at 3 for JJ.

Anyway, drafting McCarthy over Maye at 3 would be a colossal blunder.

This simply isn't true. For me, it's his biggest knock. He's not fast at all and he definitely gets stuck on his first read.

I swear I'm living in an alternate universe rn.
Not according to a HoF QB named Kurt Warner. Kurt's criticism of JJ centered around his tendency to rifle the ball in when he should be using more touch. You do live in an alternate universe: the one without HoF QB Kurt Warner and me. :evil:

Last edited:
Agreed. Here is another clip which is fun because McCarthy is fast, but also because he competes hard.

lol. When I first watched it I was thinking “
That’s Corum, not McCarthy, why is he showing me this?” Then I watched the replay and saw what you are talking about. I agree, he showed good speed. Athleticism, and the will to compete. I would be fine with them taking McCarthy as well. I just think he’s more of a projection because of the way Michigan played. But you certainly want those attributes in your QB.

lol. When I first watched it I was thinking “
That’s Corum, not McCarthy, why is he showing me this?” Then I watched the replay and saw what you are talking about. I agree, he showed good speed. Athleticism, and the will to compete. I would be fine with them taking McCarthy as well. I just think he’s more of a projection because of the way Michigan played. But you certainly want those attributes in your QB.

Agreed. It is a huge projection.

Anyway, drafting McCarthy over Maye at 3 would be a colossal blunder.
All of the NFL thought it would be a mistake to draft TB12 until round 6, and surely a stupendously colossal blunder to grab him in the early rounds. The consensus is often wrong, especially when it comes to QB.

You may be right. But to claim you know that it would be a mistake of that magnitude given the historical draft blunders and oversights made by the best football minds in the world seems presumptuous.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back