PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick criticism mega-thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The crazy thing is BB might have actually instilled this in Brady. Thats what makes this such a **** sandwhich.

That's a very good point. BB trained Brady for 20 years and taught him everything. Why let him go? Why penny pinch him? Where will you get that 2 decades of knowledge and attitude and discipline that you yourself instilled in Brady.

Lots of people say that Brady is great because of the great coaching he received. Well then in that case isn't BB's decision to let him go without an adequate replacement all the more glaring? Even if he found some veteran to match Brady's physical prowess, the mental prowess that you yourself helped build and train you're letting walk for nothing.

The crazy thing is BB might have actually instilled this in Brady. Thats what makes this such a **** sandwhich.
Maybe, to some extent, but Brady was fighting since college for recognition and to become a starter, so it makes sense that he was driven and would over prepare for whenever he was called to show what he had.

Some things you can't teach. You can guide people to do things in a better more efficient way maybe, or to recognize certain things on film, but you can't teach drive or talent. Those things are part of the makeup or character of the individual, imo.

I just think BB lucked out with Brady and recognized what he had. He no doubt helped Brady develop and mature, as Brady has acknowledged. When you see them interact during the centennial top players videos, you can tell the amount of respect and admiration they have for each other.

But lives a b**ch in business and something happened between them where they just needed to move on. We just need to accept it and move on ourselves.

Maybe, to some extent, but Brady was fighting since college for recognition and to become a starter, so it makes sense that he was driven and would over prepare for whenever he was called to show what he had.

Some things you can't teach. You can guide people to do things in a better more efficient way maybe, or to recognize certain things on film, but you can't teach drive or talent. Those things are part of the makeup or character of the individual, imo.

I just think BB lucked out with Brady and recognized what he had. He no doubt helped Brady develop and mature, as Brady has acknowledged. When you see them interact during the centennial top players videos, you can tell the amount of respect and admiration they have for each other.

But lives a b**ch in business and something happened between them where they just needed to move on. We just need to accept it and move on ourselves.
Yeah, we've all heard one variation or another of Brady telling Kraft that he was the best decision the organization had ever made. Whichever version is closest to the truth, that's not the sort of thing just any player would have the balls to say. Brady was driven from the beginning, soaked up the information like a sponge (Do we now have to credit McGinest with Brady's longevity, since he's the one who steered Brady to Guerrero?), and made himself who he is. That others helped him get there is great, but it's what happens everywhere in sports.

Yeah, we've all heard one variation or another of Brady telling Kraft that he was the best decision the organization had ever made. Whichever version is closest to the truth, that's not the sort of thing just any player would have the balls to say. Brady was driven from the beginning, soaked up the information like a sponge (Do we now have to credit McGinest with Brady's longevity, since he's the one who steered Brady to Guerrero?), and made himself who he is. That others helped him get there is great, but it's what happens everywhere in sports.

This ^

Arians takes yet another dig at BB. Says he managed Brady and Gronk better by giving them days off, something they’ve never had before.

Arians takes yet another dig at BB. Says he managed Brady and Gronk better by giving them days off, something they’ve never had before.

Arians' blather should be taken with a grain of salt. As I recall, Brady often had rest days off (usually Wednesdays) late in his Pats career. Gronk also had numerous DNPs as he usually was nursing injuries big and small.

Arians' blather should be taken with a grain of salt. As I recall, Brady often had rest days off (usually Wednesdays) late in his Pats career. Gronk also had numerous DNPs as he usually was nursing injuries big and small.
I agree. Arians seems to like the media spotlight a little more the Bill. Seems to me he says chit that garners clicks. Bill talked about how "Stid" was getting the reps because Brady couldn't go. We need to not get into this revisionist history.

Last edited:
I think the beginning of the end was the drafting of Garoppolo. Bill's "We all know the the quarterback's age and contract status" comment then his infatuation with Jimmy and allegedly making personnel moves with a Garoppolo led offense in mind. He then waited too long to pull the trigger on trading Jimmy and severely diminished the return by trading him mid season. Even after that Bill refused to give Brady a real extension instead offering incentive laden crap and "kick the can" deals with dead years. So while Bill was allegedly texting Jimmy after every game he was pissing off the QB that had won three Super Bowls and a league MVP since Garoppolo was drafted. Bill seemingly couldn't wait to run Brady out of town and it was a bad move. Bill failed the team badly in that regard and deserves absolutely every ounce of criticism he receives and as far as I am concerned even more than he is getting.

Just the latest on why Belichick's evaluation of Brady might have been wrong. I love the part of Brady in effect coaching

“We have about eight, nine, maybe 10 players in a group chat. All the skill guys,” McCoy explained. “All the guys that were active to play. And he’s going into details about every player we’re going against. He’s like, a voiceover. It’s a video playing and it’s only him. He’s got the candles lit. He’s like, ‘This DB, he likes to press. He likes to hold. He doesn’t have good speed.’ With everybody.

McCoy seemed quite skeptical of Belichick's Patriots ex-Brady.

“Real talk, I played in Buffalo and I would play this dude every year, twice a year,” McCoy told McAfee. “I’d say, ‘When Brady leaves, the Patriots, they will not be as good.’ Everybody talks about this Belichick — and I respect Belichick, he’s a great coach — but c’mon, let’s stop that. When (Brady) leaves that team, they will not be the same. The guy is different. You feed off of him, his energy.”

“Like, even the coaches have to be on their A-game because the dude demands so much respect,” the running back said. “When he’s there, it’s like the championship habits pick up. The championship DNA picks up. And I think when you have a guy like that, you have a chance to win. And I love Belichick, but they’re not the same team without (No.) 12 over there.”
There's no doubt that Brady picked up plenty from Belichick, and that's part of why he's so great. But this year Brady helped prove what I've always believed, that players win games, not coaches.

Belichick is the GOAT HC, but if he gives us another year of Cant Newton as our QB then the criticism of him is going to be much worse and @Ian and all the mods will be working overtime.

The situation with Pats fans now is very similar to where the Browns fans were when Bill dumped Bernie Kosar, and Bernie hadn't won squat, let alone 6 SBs. Bill is indeed on the hot seat.

Arians was a big enough blowhard before his team won a SB. He's not going to get any better now.
His continuous shots at Belichick, a far superior HC, are pathetic.

It was interesting to me how well they managed Gronk. He played all 20 games. They had him ramp up slow after being retired for a year. And then by week 5/6 he was really contributing in the pass game. Both he and Brady did seem really fresh and loose all season.

Arians isn't taking any "shots" at Belichick. He's explaining his approach to two aging players and how he valued preserving their health over practicing.

A lot of coaches would do what Arians did. A lot wouldn't.

Bill used a one-size-fits-all strategy for a lot of things, preferring to be rigid. You would need that type of control over players to maintain success for that long. But the approach has its drawbacks, too. If there were an obvious, perfect way to handle these things, everyone would just do that.

So it’s not just internet posters who think Brady brings something to a team that goes beyond stats.
X

None of us on the board know TB, but from multiple accounts going back years Brady is intensely competitive in everything. You can’t really teach that and it does predate the Pats to his years at Michigan, when he consistently outplayed more heralded recruits. Still, I do give BB a lot of credit for cultivating Brady’s intensity. And not to many (maybe none) coaches would have ever taken the chance to play Brady over Bledsoe when Bledsoe got healthy. Especially, after giving Bledsoe a 100 million contract before the 2001 season.

X

None of us on the board know TB, but from multiple accounts going back years Brady is intensely competitive in everything. You can’t really teach that and it does predate the Pats to his years at Michigan, when he consistently outplayed more heralded recruits. Still, I do give BB a lot of credit for cultivating Brady’s intensity. And not to many (maybe none) coaches would have ever taken the chance to play Brady over Bledsoe when Bledsoe got healthy. Especially, after giving Bledsoe a 100 million contract before the 2001 season.
He went 5-11 with Drew in 2000 then he was 0-2 with Drew starting in 2001. He then had a QB that was 5-2 with Bledsoe out. He would have been a fool to yank Brady and probably would have been canned a year or two later had he stuck with Drew.

He went 5-11 with Drew in 2000 then he was 0-2 with Drew starting in 2001. He then had a QB that was 5-2 with Bledsoe out. He would have been a fool to yank Brady and probably would have been canned a year or two later had he stuck with Drew.
I was glad at the time, but the talent in 2001 was better than 2000 and even with Bledsoe, the record would have been better, but of course no SB.

X

That's why I said BB was lucky and gave BB credit for recognizing what he had in Brady. BB leveraged a young Brady's insecurities (chip on his shoulder) every which way and then some. That's why it's extraordinary the relationship lasted that long. By the 2000s company loyalty was no longer a "thing," yet Brady remained a "company man" for 19 years in a sport where he was considered at the top and would've paid him millions more to move. Truly remarkable.

That's why I said BB was lucky and gave BB credit for recognizing what he had in Brady. BB leveraged a young Brady's insecurities (chip on his shoulder) every which way and then some. That's why it's extraordinary the relationship lasted that long. By the 2000s company loyalty was no longer a "thing," yet Brady remained a "company man" for 19 years in a sport where he was considered at the top and would've paid him millions more to move. Truly remarkable.
Very much agree

I'll never get over SB52. Losing to those Iggles fans was tougher than the (2) Giants' losses. BB owes us fans an explanation at some point? He lost much respect in my mind for essentially throwing away that game..

I'll never get over SB52. Losing to those Iggles fans was tougher than the (2) Giants' losses. BB owes us fans an explanation at some point? He lost much respect in my mind for essentially throwing away that game..
Not mine. See, when I root for a team to win the Super Bowl, I root for the team with the most discipline. Not the best team. I want guys who will address the coaching staff as “sir,” give cold women their jackets, and stay on a strictly regimented routine day-to-day. This winning nonsense is overrated anyway. Honestly, I think the Eagles should give us the Lombardi for that game. While Rowe and Bademosi couldn’t cover a bed, they were among the most disciplined players on the field and, in the end, that’s all that really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes