PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semantics, since I believe his bonus made up the bulk of his contract. Anyway, you knew what he was talking about you're just being argumentative which is what you enjoy Andy.
No he said we are still paying him which is wrong.

I agree there is no certainty how it will turn out, that was my point.
There were meetings and discussions that happened behind the scenes before brown was cut. None of us have any idea what happened. None of us have any idea what reasoning the patriots will give for voiding the contract.
eh, I’m not saying we know absolutely for sure 100% what went on, but I do think we have a decent idea of the general situation. We don’t know the *exact* conversations that took place behind the scenes, but I don’t think there are any unexploded bombshells anywhere.

I agree there is no certainty how it will turn out, that was my point.
There were meetings and discussions that happened behind the scenes before brown was cut. None of us have any idea what happened. None of us have any idea what reasoning the patriots will give for voiding the contract. There is a real possibility that after the tweeting incident occurred the patriots admonished brown, gave him a directive to stop and he refused to agree. That’s just one possibility that makes assessing the legal case foolish because the facts are not known.

Ultimately though I am saying it is totally false to say they are still paying him. They stopped paying his salary the day he was released.
Even if everything you say is true, that still isn't enough reason to not pay his bonus. This has been discussed. There are 5 reasons for a team to void a players bonus per CBA, and none of them apply here. He complied with all of the standards to collect his bonus.

They will pay, so EBB can't use the money to pay his attorneys to get him off the blow job he received from lulu and mingbi.

Ah, but what if the contractor delivers everything he promised you, but you then see him in the local paper getting arrested for sexual assault? Do you, at that point, have a legal basis to withhold payment?

AB was an employee so lets drop the analogies.

AB and his agent did not disclose to their employer he was a defendant in a civil suit.

AB sent menacing texts to a woman which hurt the NEP brand.

AB signed a contract which was approved by the NFLPA. This is the slippery slope. If an arbitrator rules the contract is not valid then AB gets nothing.

I am not lawyer and do not know if the NEP will win but they absolutely have a beef.

Ah, but what if the contractor delivers everything he promised you, but you then see him in the local paper getting arrested for sexual assault? Do you, at that point, have a legal basis to withhold payment?
If the contract says he can’t do anything that makes me look bad for having hired him, I sure do.

Ummmm......look to your left, schmuck.

https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fcreatr-uploaded-images%2F2019-12%2Fd176e250-1849-11ea-abfb-62fdb21c0cdf

Schmuck? Funny that you would use that word. It's the same word that Kraft used to describe Belichick after Crygate, which helped put a stain on the team's success.

OK...I'm going full AndyJohnson on you.

Huh, by all accounts he was a model teammate and player.

Irrelevant to the the player contract and CBA

There was nothing he did on the football side to void his contract. So he delivered the work as witnessed in the Miami game and picked up the gameplan in record time.

Irrelevant to the play contract and CBA

That is what he was hired to do, play football. He wasn't hired to be a social media darling, or spokesman for the team, or to be popular, or to go to church twice a week. Team decided to get rid of him and gave no reason at all.

Irrelevant to the player contract and CBA

If the contract says he can’t do anything that makes me look bad for having hired him, I sure do.
In the everyday world (meaning not sports) I’d argue that’s highly debatable. You can’t just get out of paying something to someone because they “made you look bad,” even if you included that clause in the contract.

For example, suppose you have a business and you hire a contractor to fix your building for $50,000, and you include a clause saying he can’t do anything that reflects poorly on you. So he does his work perfectly, but then goes home and gets arrested for punching his wife. I just don’t see the legal basis for you then saying “ok now I don’t owe you anything and I get to keep all your repairs for free because you punched your wife.”

A court would be primarily concerned with the essence of the contract, and here the essence of the contract is the repair work. I think a court would rule that as far as you are concerned, he did his job, you owe him the money, and the bad publicity you’ll just have to live with.

Last edited:
Schmuck? Funny that you would use that word. It's the same word that Kraft used to describe Belichick after Crygate, which helped put a stain on the team's success.

Oooooooh!!!!!!!

195bmfvu242scjpg.jpg

You sound like AB not paying his contractors/consultants.

CBA says his signing bonus needs to be paid, so they should pay, otherwise the Pats become weasels. Nobody told them to sign him, nobody told them to release him (he didn't do anything per CBA to void his contract). The SI stories are just that, unsubstantiated stories.

Its funny how people rail against the media, but then are OK believing a story with only one side of it being told. We have yet to hear ABs side of the stories on all of these unfounded claims. But I guess that because this is a private matter anything goes.

I hope Pats win SB and then players strike next year to force Heir Fuhrer Goodell out, that pos scum bag.

Fraudger is the NYFL owners' fall guy. Nothing will change if they dump him. They'll just find another fall guy. IMHO the players would end up losers if they made Fraudger part of their negotiation.

I also think that the players are more interested in getting pot removed from the banned substance list than anything.

Oooooooh!!!!!!!

195bmfvu242scjpg.jpg

I thought you might like that one.

I haven't even started on the latest Kraft mess though. His smarmy response to the mediots about it didn't help at all.

As great of an owner as he's been, it really is time for him to step out of the spotlight and let someone else be the face of ownership.

Even if everything you say is true, that still isn't enough reason to not pay his bonus. This has been discussed. There are 5 reasons for a team to void a players bonus per CBA, and none of them apply here. He complied with all of the standards to collect his bonus.

They will pay, so EBB can't use the money to pay his attorneys to get him off the blow job he received from lulu and mingbi.

This is the thing that I think bothers many Pats fans. He wanted his player and HC to take one for the team (for nothing) but when the time came for him (for something) he wants to fight it tooth and nail. That defines hypocrisy.

AB and his agent did not disclose to their employer he was a defendant in a civil suit.

AB sent menacing texts to a woman which hurt the NEP brand.

AB signed a contract which was approved by the NFLPA. This is the slippery slope. If an arbitrator rules the contract is not valid then AB gets nothing.

I am not lawyer and do not know if the NEP will win but they absolutely have a beef.
You keep on glossing over the fact that signing bonuses are addressed in the CBA and there are only 5 reasons to void payment of the bonus and he didn't violate any of the reasons. This was addressed by lawyers familiar with the CBA.

You guys can disagree all you want, but he is getting his bonus money.

You keep on glossing over the fact that signing bonuses are addressed in the CBA and there are only 5 reasons to void payment of the bonus and he didn't violate any of the reasons. This was addressed by lawyers familiar with the CBA.

I agree he’s getting his money, but I still think the Patriots have a legit case. They will likely form their legal argument from a standpoint of federal (or state) contract law, which trumps the CBA.

AB did not disclose to his employer he was named in a civil suit.

AB sent menacing texts AFTER he signed his contract.

The contract he signed was approved by the NFLPA

You may be right. I may be crazy. You may be wrong for all I know, you may be right

Last edited:
AB did not disclose to his employer he was named in a civil suit.

AB sent menacing texts AFTER he signed his contract.

The contract he signed was approved by the NFLPA

You may be right. I may be crazy. You may be wrong for all I know, you may be right
1. Correct, yet when they found out they still played him in Miami. This was also discussed and the fact they played him weakens their argument;
2. There is a real debate on texts being menacing. Even painters lawyers admitted texts didn't meet law, but they just wanted NFL to tell him to stop contacting her. Either way, sending texts is not a reason in the CBA to lose payment of the bonus;
3. Contract he signed can't have language in it that CBA, but even if it does, that language can't trump protections that were collectively bargained.
4. Lol

I don't get why people think it is unreasonable to think that the Pats have a good shot at getting the money back. I would be shocked if the Krafts didn't go through their corresponding lawyers and their opinion relative to the contract language before pulling the plug and releasing AB.

Whether a court -- where this will inevitably decided unless one side caves and accepts an offer -- will confirm that or not is a different story.

I struggle to care whether AB gets his money or not........it's like the a bonfire of the vanities

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST