PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Shopping NaVorro Bowman [UPDATE: Bowman released; now signed by Raiders]

Our opp YPC is 5.0. We could undoubtedly use NB, we aren't blessed with a conglomeration of talent on the second level, I'd take what we can get even if he isn't the coverage backer we all desire.

You'd be surprised how much better a vet player raises his level when he's playing alongisde and being coached by greatness.
I'm all in bringing him in.

You'd be surprised how much better a vet player raises his level when he's playing alongisde and being coached by greatness.

Haynesworth
Galloway
Johnson
Springs

etc....

The Patriots aren't a magic elixir.

The guy even deteriorated is > Elandon Roberts
So, I think the only thing that might keep BB from making a bid to improve the 46 is potential for locker room discordance.
I do not get the feel that the 2017 locker room has the typical Patriots veteran leadership. Note I said feel.

And a bid is just one thing. I think BB will underbid rivals IF he bids.

Lmao naw. We could use another pass rusher.
We have plenty of pass rush options. We need a 2 gap NT. BB may have held onto Branch a year too long and our hopes for VV to return with impact may be more hopeful than realistic.

We have plenty of pass rush options. We need a 2 gap NT. BB may have held onto Branch a year too long and our hopes for VV to return with impact may be more hopeful than realistic.
Spot on. Hopefully branch is back and up to his normal level soon. With him out we are essentially moving brown to NT and that's not his game so we downgrade 2 spots.
That and we MUST stop using a 3 man DL on early downs.
Im confident the run D will be fine in time. It always is.

Haynesworth and Ocho took draft capital to acquire and we paid them too much. Bowman is free to sign for a small contract. The dangers are not compareable.

That has literally nothing to do with either my post or the post to which I was responding.

Belichick really dropped the ball if he doesn't sign Bowman.

You answered your own cap question.
However with multiple teams interested, I think somebody is gonna pay him lots more than vet minimum.

If he was our answer for a "speed LB" I don't think he would have been released w/o anyone interested in a trade, even a conditional late rounder.
This isn't about a bidding war. IIRC, he's getting about $6MM for this season, and it's guaranteed AND the Niners are on the hook for all of it. So it doesn't matter if a team pays him the minimum or twice that, he's going to wind up with the same $6MM.

Now it's possible that a team might get an edge by offering more than one year, but I doubt anyone is going to offer him more than this year, so dollars are NOT going to be part of the equation about where he goes.

I'm sure NE will be part of the equation for him, as it would be for most guys in a similar situation. But all things considered, Oakland would appear to have a leg up on the other possibilities simply because it would be the easiest transition for him and his family.

This isn't about a bidding war. IIRC, he's getting about $6MM for this season, and it's guaranteed AND the Niners are on the hook for all of it. So it doesn't matter if a team pays him the minimum or twice that, he's going to wind up with the same $6MM.

Now it's possible that a team might get an edge by offering more than one year, but I doubt anyone is going to offer him more than this year, so dollars are NOT going to be part of the equation about where he goes. . . .

I may be wrong, but thought the offset rule applies to 'guaranteed' money. So it could be for example: if the Pats signed him for $1M salary, and a $3M bonus split out per games active or some such; that he could earn $5M from 49ers, $4M from NEP and end up with $9M instead of 6.

Yes? No?

Haynesworth
Galloway
Johnson
Springs

etc....

The Patriots aren't a magic elixir.

That's the extreme version of the point you are trying to defeat.

Losing hands does not make you a bad poker player.

Certainly doesn't negate the fact that vets from losing/underperforming franchises often do perform well in the Patriots system.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back