PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

How has Mason been this year? It seems like Brady has been constantly under pressure this season. I think a big part of this conversation is that Mason last season > Mason this season. I always assumed Bill moved on from Shaq because he sensed he was starting to decline.

For those who believe in PFF grades
Onwenu- 75.8
Mason- 62.6

Don't know if Mason was really declining... He was just never really worth the contract he signed, imo.

RGs should be your OL's cheapest-paid position.

That money should've been saved for Thuney.

The thing I don’t understand with Popovich is how anyone actually knows how good he is.

People matter of factly state we had this great OL coach in Popovich, but there’s really no way to know that without working inside that building. The OL wasn’t great with him there in 2019; it was good for the first couple games of 2020 before slipping.

Maybe he was a good coach? Fair. He was definitely a great coach that we lost? Sounds like speculating with certainty, which is not possible.

Popovich was the heir apparent to Scarnecchia before the whole Covid vaccine BS. He was to be "Co-Coach" with Cam Bricillo, Popovich had the experience over Bricillo.

The O-line in 2019 was plagued by injuries which has zero to do with the coaching.
- Lost Andrews before the start of the season, forcing Karras to be the starting center.
- Wynn only played in 8 games.
- We had the pseudo-disaster of Marshall Newhouse replacing Wynn.
- Mason and Cannon played through injuries.
- No Gronk to help block. In fact, they had a carousel at TE..
- They lost Develin and Jakob Johnson to injury early on forcing Eladon Roberts to become a FB.

And much cheaper... Mason has the advantage in zone blocking & pulling around center on sweeps; but Onwenu has the advantage in power blocking & sweeps to his side... I'd run behind him in goal-line & short-yardage situations all day long... Pass blocking is about a wash, though I think Onwenu can become > Mason there too.
fair enough

There was never much of a choice for Belichick. Onwenu at a lower salary was clearly better.

OF COURSE, that is in Belichick World. Here at patsfans, folks want Onwenu to play OT.

pff ranks the OL high so far

7575afd5d592deca0cae618e0e45efc1.png

I started the game watching the OL closely

Halfway through the second quarter i stopped, simply bc they were doing their thing well. My usual problems (Andrews being weak on 1v1, confusion, and difficulty finding a second-level guy for a block) were never happening. And Strange was also being better than "just good". He was GREAT (for a rookie).

If there is one thing that could elevate this team is this OL playing like it has, throughtout the season.

How is the Ravens pass-rush? I've seen plenty about their secondary but dont know much about their Front 7 and stuff

Popovich was the heir apparent to Scarnecchia before the whole Covid vaccine BS. He was to be "Co-Coach" with Cam Bricillo, Popovich had the experience over Bricillo.

The O-line in 2019 was plagued by injuries which has zero to do with the coaching.
- Lost Andrews before the start of the season, forcing Karras to be the starting center.
- Wynn only played in 8 games.
- We had the pseudo-disaster of Marshall Newhouse replacing Wynn.
- Mason and Cannon played through injuries.
- No Gronk to help block. In fact, they had a carousel at TE..
- They lost Develin and Jakob Johnson to injury early on forcing Eladon Roberts to become a FB.
What does heir apparent mean in this context?

fair enough

There was never much of a choice for Belichick. Onwenu at a lower salary was clearly better.

OF COURSE, that is in Belichick World. Here at patsfans, folks want Onwenu to play OT.
I don't know if this is a lower salary thing for me.

Onwenu may simply be better at pass protection.

While the OL has been pretty good at run blocking the last few years, they've been bad at pass protection.

If the Patriots decided they needed to switch emphasis on the OL, then Onwenu over Shaq straight up makes sense. Shaq is a trememndous run blocker though.

What does heir apparent mean in this context?
It means that I believe that Popovich would have had the Title O-line coach and that Patricia wouldn't be involved if the NFL hadn't put in the ridiculous Covid BS last year.

I think the line has the potential to be amongst the league's best both in run & pass blocking.

My biggest concern is Wynn. Health, penalties, uneven play, etc.

It means that I believe that Popovich would have had the Title O-line coach and that Patricia wouldn't be involved if the NFL hadn't put in the ridiculous Covid BS last year.
OK, thanks for answering. I thought you meant he was the next Scarnecchia.

The Patriots don't always know what they're doing when it comes to OL coaches. DeGuglielmo is one example.

They obviously let Bricillo go in favor of Patricia.

I don't think any of these people are proven, Popovich, Patricia, Bricillo. The Raiders OL looks much worse than last year's, while Popovich is toiling with Troy. If the Patriots OL strings together several performances like Sunday's, we'll be saying that Patricia and Yates are the most successful of the 3.

Encouraging news about Marcus Cannon. He was a practice player of the week and BB had high praise for his approach and level of play. It would be great to have a bit of depth at OT. Even better if Cannon wins the RT spot.

Encouraging news about Marcus Cannon. He was a practice player of the week and BB had high praise for his approach and level of play. It would be great to have a bit of depth at OT. Even better if Cannon wins the RT spot.
Wynn has played pretty well at RT both weeks. Pressures came from the left side in the first game, on both Strange and Brown.

Onwenu is elite at run blocking—as long as it’s not outside zone.

Was unable to see most of the ratbird game this week...

What's the consensus on the line play for week 3?

Nothing's changed... assuming health this is one of the better offensive lines in the league.

Pape, Overall they played pretty well. Not perfect, the weak link was Andrews. The costly penalties (Wynn) always hurt, but big improvement from the summer. Brown and Onwenu have been our best players, Strange has improved as well.

Last edited:
Nothing's changed... assuming health this is one of the better offensive lines in the league.
interesting assessment... i do know week 2 was better than week 1... haven't seen enough games of other teams yet to provide that type of league wide context... maybe that's just me though... will have to watch more games...

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back