PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Even though the stats say he wasn't pressured very much?

That back spasm happened because a defender hit him way way late.
You are satisfied with the line play so far? I'm not. No one in their right mind should be... As for stats, what stats? What did your eyes tell you? Did he have time to step up into the pocket? Half the time he didn't have a pocket to step up into....

Protection is a problem... Blitz pick up is a problem... Pass protection is a problem... Protection break down is a problem based on a lack of identification and communication on the line... As was thru the preseason, so was it the first game... and you are right, the injury was a bit of a late hit... It was the missed blitz that lead to a strip, scoop and score...

You are satisfied with the line play so far? I'm not. No one in their right mind should be... As for stats, what stats? What did your eyes tell you? Did he have time to step up into the pocket? Half the time he didn't have a pocket to step up into....

Protection is a problem... Blitz pick up is a problem... Pass protection is a problem... Protection break down is a problem based on a lack of identification and communication on the line... As was thru the preseason, so was it the first game... and you are right, the injury was a bit of a late hit... It was the missed blitz that lead to a strip, scoop and score...
Someone posted the stats above. He had time. He was no pressured very much.

The season just started. I hope this OL coaching crew will be much better than what we have had because the results of the last few years were unsatisfactory. Honestly, Im much more worried about Trent Brown in pass protection than I am with Cole Strange and Mike Onwenu.

We have a rookie LG, a second year RG, and two tackles that did a freaky friday. The OL will continue to get better and better as the year goes on.
Yes, the OL will get better. That is a given.

The season just started.
It is interesting that the patriots are in the preseason or "the season just started'. Other teams had the offseason, the scrimmages and the preseason to prepare. Other teams prepared and were ready to play. The patriots were not.

Someone posted the stats above. He had time. He was no pressured very much.
did you actually watch the game? what did your eyes tell you?

The season just started. I hope this OL coaching crew will be much better than what we have had because the results of the last few years were unsatisfactory. Honestly, Im much more worried about Trent Brown in pass protection than I am with Cole Strange and Mike Onwenu.
I hope they get better as well. I dont want them to suck. But they did.

FWIW. This was surprising to me.

did you actually watch the game? what did your eyes tell you?

I hope they get better as well. I dont want them to suck. But they did.
I thought he had time to throw.

It is interesting that the patriots are in the preseason or "the season just started'. Other teams had the offseason, the scrimmages and the preseason to prepare. Other teams prepared and were ready to play. The patriots were not.
Some teams prepared. Others didn't. The ones that won prepared. The ones that lost didn't.

That's because among our other problems (including bad LT/LG play), we lack mental toughness on the road.
Plus a lot of staple Patriot plays were either poorly executed or completely absent. Should be better this week. Big problem if it isn’t.

Jeez. Talk about overreaction. I don’t think anyone on here has ever said anything so positive about Herron before this. And Brown didn’t have a bad day,a part from getting incorrectly blamed for that strip sack scoop and score that wasn’t his fault.

I think most of the week 1 reactions are in fact overreactions, but I was really discouraged with what I saw from Trent Brown. He looked disinterested, unengaged, listless. Wynn, on the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised with; he didn't appear disgruntled and was moving well, quick out his stance, blocking well. LT is my biggest concern with the team from a long-term perspective over the course of this season. It needs to be priority #1 (or close to the top of the list) heading into the 2023 offseason (barring Herron or Cajuste becoming consistent, high quality starters between now and the end of the season, which I'm not betting on at the moment).

I think most of the week 1 reactions are in fact overreactions, but I was really discouraged with what I saw from Trent Brown. He looked disinterested, unengaged, listless. Wynn, on the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised with; he didn't appear disgruntled and was moving well, quick out his stance, blocking well. LT is my biggest concern with the team from a long-term perspective over the course of this season. It needs to be priority #1 (or close to the top of the list) heading into the 2023 offseason (barring Herron or Cajuste becoming consistent, high quality starters between now and the end of the season, which I'm not betting on at the moment).
Yes, we always exaggerate on Monday and Tuesday after a loss. We should listen to the Dante interview to get some perspective.

I would note that the score would have been 20-14 if the PI was called. But, to be clear, 14 points isn't enough for an offense. And yes, it was very good to see good play from the right side of the OL. Andrews was, as usual, our best OL.

Yes, Brown was lost and Strange was lost. Dante believes that the issue with Brown is the lack of proper coaching. Dante believes that he can be very motivated. With regard to Strange, obviously he isn't ready, sort of OK for Game One. More serious is that we have 2 starting guards new at their position and NO, and NO, effective backup. Ferentz went in with predictable results. Ferentz is an OK backup center, and an emergency backup guard (2 injuries). But, I guess I should stop. Belichick has chosen Ferentz and Hines as his backups, and the team will live with that choice.

BOTTOM LINE
All aspects of the game were at least what should be expected for Game One with FOUR exceptions: Brown, Strange, Mac Jones, and the play calling. Obviously, it is difficult to judge play calling from afar. However, two things stand out. Usually, we try the continue something that is working until it doesn't, especially the running game. We ran pretty well until we didn't bother to run. The other failure was very obvious to the announcers. MIA had a serious weakness in the backfield, playing a very weak player opposite Howard. Brady and Josh would have picked on this player all day until MIA used resources to fix the situation, and then moved elsewhere. Judge, Patricia and Jones didn't focus on him at all. Even without Bourne, they were many targets that could have been used to test this player.

See, I thought Strange looked pretty good. He missed the assignment on Ogbah, but otherwise I didn't see him standing out as bad, and he seemed to be moving well and active. He needs a lot of polish and experience, along with functional strength, but I thought he looked like he has a good feel for leverage, angles, and the mental part of the game. Brown was my only big concern with the OL.

Another thing I've noticed is that Andrews appears to have put on a lot of good weight. Bigger belly, but considerably bigger thighs, too. Doesn't seem to be getting moved backwards as much. If he can maintain that comfortably and stay healthy through the season, that could be a minor revelation, because his strength at point of attack is really the only non-plus part of his game.

FWIW. This was surprising to me.

Mac got the ball out faster than every QB but Brady in week one, I think that heavily factors into the pass protection stats (I.e had he taken longer to throw the numbers would look much worse)

After week one Pittsburgh led the league in sacks… Mac got sacked zero times today.

Joe Mixon averaged 3 yards per carry last week against Pittsburgh, Harris and Stevenson averaged 4.9 YPC today.

They have to clean up the penalties, that being said… one of the best OLines in the AFC, if not the league.

After week one Pittsburgh led the league in sacks… Mac got sacked zero times today.

Joe Mixon averaged 3 yards per carry last week against Pittsburgh, Harris and Stevenson averaged 4.9 YPC today.

They have to clean up the penalties, that being said… one of the best OLines in the AFC, if not the league.
Yes, we have a top OL, as long as there are no injuries.

Cajuste, Herron, Cannon, Russey… they have depth, as much or more than most.
We should save this as a stickie. That group is pretty bad.

For the three IOL's our backups are Ferentz, Hines and Russey. I expected that no one not associated with the patriot team would have any interest or respect for any of them.

We should save this as a stickie. That group is pretty bad.

For the three IOL's our backups are Ferentz, Hines and Russey. I expected that no one not associated with the patriot team would have any interest or respect for any of them.
Coming from the “every Patriot sucks” crowd, this take doesn’t hold much weight. Moreover you asked how the addition of Strange could be a good thing… kid put a pulling/reach block clinic on today.

Last edited:
Cajuste, Herron, Cannon, Russey… they have depth, as much or more than most.

Coming from the “every Patriot sucks” crowd, this take doesn’t hold much weight. Moreover you asked how the addition of Strange could be a good thing… kid put a pulling/reach block clinic on today.
You are quoting some else, but that's Ok. Let deal with you position.

You say that we have one of the top OL's in the AFC, if not the league. Please tell us more.

Which are top 5 in the league? top 10?

LT
LG
C
RG
RT
coach

As I said, I like the OL, but for me, only one is top 10.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back