PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin, Works for me.
I think posters lose sight that it is the weapons that actually might be the difference. If you look at the stats, Lamar Jackson and Cam were close. Jackson threw for more TDs but Cam ran for 12 versus 7 for Jackson. They both had the exact same amount of completions.........BUT.......TE is a big part of Cam's game. In 2015 Olsen had over 1100 yards for Cam.

Yet if Jackson was available we'd all be drooling.

Back to Jackson again, he had two receivers with 8 TDs and one was a competent TE.

I am not sticking up for Cam here...but I guess I am. I just look at the scraps and don't see a home run at QB. I am intrigued by Smith. What a story he he leads us back to the play-offs.

I proposed a trade with the Saints who are in CAP hell and a total of 5 Draft picks....5!

Move Harry (let's see was Payton can do with him and he is cheap for them. Could become a star there) and a 4th rounder and a 6th Rounder for Michael Thomas who had a down year and DE Cameron Jordon to relieve the CAP pressure cooker in NO.

Now trade a mid the low pick to the Eagles for Ertz (only 30) who also had a down year.

Buy Low Bill will appreciate the good fortune of these guys on the cheap (or cheaper)and we have ten (10) picks and cash.

I am adding Tyrell Williams with speed and size amd perhaps speed merchant John Brown when the Bills cut him. Or if not Brown, the undervalued AND YOUNGER Rishard Higgins in FA. So you've revamped the receivers. 3 new wide outs and a solid TE.

Now get your rookie QB.....I think it will be Trask unless the others drop. Looks a little like Bledsoe if you watch tape.

Draft? Defense and more Defense. Finally some late round WR to add. Simi Fehoko of Stanford and track star Anthony Schwartz of Auburn (4.27 40 in high school) who even made Stidham look good.

DW Toys

Woke up at 0430, Coffee, pancakes and maple sausages...

Smith is definatley better than Cam, just don't know if he can stay healthy. They took alot of tissue from elsewhere on his body to save that leg.

I would rather see the Pats go after Davis Mills from Stanford than Trask. Trask just doesn't do it for me and his last name makes me think that he will fold in the playoffs and give up some easy goals late in the game.

I'm all for "May the Schwartz be with us"!!!

Even if he stinks, the Spaceballs themed memes alone would be worth the cost of a late round draft pick!

He wins. He has very good numbers. He runs for yardage. He takes care of the football. Hes young. Based on all that you would think he is deserving of ~$35m/ AAV deal.

The problem is when you watch him play it is painfully obvious he is not an elite QB nor does he belong on the same field with Mahomes, Brady, Wilson, AR.
Agree with everything. Also if he was willing to take a 35m/AAV deal he would have already been signed. Problem is he thinks he is worth 40+Mil a year. He has benefited from having the best Oline in football, a top 3 RB, and elite WRs.

With the albatross contract he wants he will lose all that. Granted he already lost the All Pro C to retirement last and both starting Tackles to IR.

Smith is definatley better than Cam, just don't know if he can stay healthy. They took alot of tissue from elsewhere on his body to save that leg.

I would rather see the Pats go after Davis Mills from Stanford than Trask. Trask just doesn't do it for me and his last name makes me think that he will fold in the playoffs and give up some easy goals late in the game.

Even if he stinks, the Spaceballs themed memes alone would be worth the cost of a late round draft pick!

I agree - Smith is on one leg and both of Cam's legs are shot. Why can't we find a QB with strong, healthy legs?

What about Ian Book in the later rounds? Not the tallest, a bit of a windup, and I am not sure if he throws into the tightest of windows, but 23 TDR and only 2 INTs is impressive, and he seems to have fabulous pocket awareness.

I agree - Smith is on one leg and both of Cam's legs are shot. Why can't we find a QB with strong, healthy legs?

What about Ian Book in the later rounds? Not the tallest, a bit of a windup, and I am not sure if he throws into the tightest of windows, but 23 TDR and only 2 INTs is impressive, and he seems to have fabulous pocket awareness.

I actually like also NDs #11 after watching this video ;)

James connor looks like he’ll become available. Oft injured so wonder if he’ll come cheap. If so hed be ideal for the burkhead role. I see alot of him being in pa. 2 way threat and hes hard to bring down... on limited touches he may last longer.

Cousin, Love the Space Balls referral. 4:30 is a little too early for me but

(DRAFT DAY )Say it with me you pancake eating............​

Only kidding
DW Toys

P.S. Still thinking Minshew or Kyle Allen

Malcom Brown contributed greatly to one of the league’s best run defenses in 2020

Malcom Brown - At a Glance

• Defensive Grade: 71.7 (9th out of 31 on team)
  • Run Defense Grade: 74.4 (8th out of 29 on team)
  • Pass Rush Grade 64.6 (9th out of 26 on team)
  • Total Snaps: 390
Despite only playing a total of 390 defensive snaps and 158 total run defense snaps, Brown recorded 15 run stops, via PFF — which are tackles that constitute a “loss” for the offense, whether it be an actual loss of yardage or a tackle short of the marker on a third-and-short.

This gives him a run stop % of 11.5%, which is 6th-highest among qualifying DTs in 2020.

Last edited:
Dues,
Good call Cousin. I would take a shot with him. He creates havoc. He's only 28. Seems like he's been around for ever.
BB says it's not the sacks. It's the pressures.
In his 5 vears at Houston he has 64 TFL and 67 QB hits. Nicked up in Seattle and Tenn.
Call BB someone.
DW Toys
He's an oft-injured money chaser who's had injuries and the desire to get paid above his production combine to derail his career. Unless he's willing to take not pennies, but pesos, on the dollar, I don't know why BB would look his way.

BB says it's not the sacks. It's the pressures.
Pressures are overrated and need to be put in context. BB started that excuse in 2018 when the media was asking him why his D-line can't get to the QB. A sack is a guaranteed negative play. A "pressure" is not. For instance, what happened after the "pressure"? Was there an overthrow, incomplete pass, INT, or a completion? A lot of times I see guys that get credited for a "pressure" but had no effect the QB finding an open receiver or incompletion, etc.. Anfernee Jennings had a "pressure" and was inches from the sacking Jared Allen during the MNF game, but he threw it just before Jennings got to him for a 60+ yard TD to Diggs.

In regards to Clowney, he's overrated and injury prone. Only shows up when he feels like it and that's why Seattle let him walk. In this era of football, there's no excuse for not being able to get to the QB when you view yourself as a top flight pass rusher. Clowney is the king of "I almost sacked him". No thanks.

Last edited:
He's an oft-injured money chaser who's had injuries and the desire to get paid above his production combine to derail his career. Unless he's willing to take not pennies, but pesos, on the dollar, I don't know why BB would look his way.

All the hype on that guy since he came out and teams still pay him big money. His best days where in houston as a 3-4 OLB. Had two good years where he made the pro bowl.

Pressures are overrated and need to be put in context. BB started that excuse in 2018 when the media was asking him why his D-line can't get to the QB. A sack is a guaranteed negative play. A "pressure" is not. For instance, what happened after the "pressure"? Was there an overthrow, incomplete pass, INT, or a completion? A lot of times I see guys that get credited for a "pressure" but had no effect the QB finding an open receiver or incompletion, etc.. Anfernee Jennings had a "pressure" and was inches from the sacking Jared Allen during the MNF game, but he threw it just before Jennings got to him for a 60+ yard TD to Diggs.

In regards to Clowney, he's overrated and injury prone. In this era of football, there's no excuse for not being able to get to the QB. Clowney is the king of "I almost sacked him". No thanks.
I don't think BB was making excuses. Thats how he sees good defensive football- especially vs mobile QBs where depending how accurate they are either you want to force them to slide around but contain them.

Sacks are obviously a better outcome but pressures vs timing-based offenses are not overrated as long as you have good coverage in the secondary.

Goes hand in hand IMO

All the hype on that guy since he came out and teams still pay him big money. His best days where in houston as a 3-4 OLB. Had two good years where he made the pro bowl.
Fair to say hes been a bust.

I don't think BB was making excuses. Thats how he sees good defensive football- especially vs mobile QBs where depending how accurate they are either you want to force them to slide around but contain them.

Sacks are obviously a better outcome but pressures vs timing-based offenses are not overrated as long as you have good coverage in the secondary.

hand in hand IMO
Correct. Sacks happen a couple of times a game and by themselves without others instances of pressure dont add up to good defense. Constant pressure regardless of whether they get rid of the ball before the sack or not is much more important.
It’s always about consistency not flashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes